- Language: English
- 40 Pages
- Published: April 2012
- Region: Indonesia
China Sourcing Report: Eco-friendly Clothing
- Published: December 2011
- Region: China
- 45 Pages
- Global Sources
China suppliers of eco-friendly clothing are taking a multipronged approach to supporting their claims of environmental protection. Manufacturers are motivated by more consumers who are beginning to seek earth-safe apparel as part of a holistic "green" lifestyle. This is especially true in developed economies such as the US and the EU.
The national government is also driving growth in the industry. The country's targets for reducing energy consumption and water pollution have been key in pushing factories to commit to resource conservation.
This report covers the major products of China's eco-friendly clothing industry, namely tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, sleeping apparel, robes and intimates.
What you'll get
- In-depth profiles of 17 verified suppliers with a comprehensive look at their manufacturing and export capability, product and market focus, verified contact details, and more
- 49 full-color images that depict popular eco-friendly clothing export models, with detailed product descriptions and minimum order requirements
- Supplier information in tabular format to help you compare companies at a glance
- Results of the custom-designed supplier survey, which forecasts industry trends for the next 12 months
- An extensive overview of the industry discussing the main challenges facing suppliers
- An in-depth examination of the supplier base highlighting key characteristics of different types of companies
- Details of the primary production centers
- An update of the latest trends in design, R&D, materials and components
- A review of the key factors that influence the price and quality of low-end, midrange and high-end products
- Comprehensive pricing tables featuring export price ranges
Who should read this report
- CEOs, Directors, Presidents, Business Owners
- Export/ Import Managers, Sourcing Representatives, Sourcing Engineers, Supply Chain Directors, Procurement Managers, Agents
- Sales Executives & Managers, Marketing Executives & Managers, International Buyers
- Business Consultants, Investment Managers
- Anyone who needs to understand the China & Asia supply market SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Main production centers
Product & prices
China suppliers of eco-friendly clothing are taking a multipronged approach to supporting their claims of environmental protection. Manufacturers are motivated by more consumers who are beginning to seek earth-safe apparel as part of a holistic “green” lifestyle. This is especially true in developed economies such as the US and the EU. The national government is also driving growth in the industry. The country’s targets for reducing energy consumption and water pollution have been key in pushing factories to commit to resource conservation. Offering such products enables makers to set prices at least 20 percent higher than quotes for conventional garments.
These factors are contributing to a positive outlook for the sector in 2012. Even with cost issues, exporters project a significant increase in revenue.
1. Suppliers continue to utilize sustainable fabrics for their selections, including organic cotton, bamboo rayon and charcoal, linen, PLA and recycled PET. The fibers are evaluated by third-party testing institutes against standards such as GOTS. Output consists mostly of casual basics.
2. Makers are also adopting natural and nonpolluting dyes, reusable packaging and collaterals from reclaimed materials.
3. Businesses are reducing electricity consumption by switching to LED bulbs and phasing out inefficient machinery. Cold-transfer and dyesublimation printing also help lower energy use.
4. Manufacturers with dyeing, washing and tanning capability are treating and recycling wastewater in compliance with new laws. Several large enterprises have invested in chemical precipitation and oxidation equipment. Most small and midsize operations, however, employ community facilities at industrial parks.
5. Apart from water, tanners are reusing lime liquor and chrome tannins. Recovered hair can be employed as fertilizer.
6. A few denim garment companies are acquiring washing units that do not require water and chemical agents. Stones with better abrasive quality than pumice are used to shorten processing time.
7. Product prices will increase up to 10 percent next year due to growing material and labor costs, and the higher value of the yuan compared with the US dollar.
This report covers the major products of China’s eco-friendly clothing industry, namely tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, sleeping apparel, robes and intimates. The Products & prices section discusses each category and the materials used for the line. The segment also details the features and prices of low-end, midrange and high-end models.
The Industry Overview describes the steps taken by businesses to improve manufacturing capability in response to the government’s environment-protection initiatives. The supplier survey identifies challenges being faced by the sector and how these are expected to affect export figures in the coming year.
Zhejiang and Guangdong provinces are China’s main production hubs for ecofriendly clothing. Following this structure, nearly 50 percent of the featured exporters are based in Zhejiang. Eighteen percent is located in Guangdong. The majority is locally owned and runs in-house factories. To produce this report, Global Sources interviewed a wide range of enterprises. Rather than focus simply on high-profile makers, we compiled a representative sample of large, midsize and emerging manufacturers. All profiled companies are export-oriented professional suppliers that are verified by Global Sources.
Each supplier is confirmed to be authentic with a legally registered business. All companies are visited three or more times by Global Sources to ensure they are export-ready and have real offices and products. The listed contact person has been verified to represent the registered company. In each case, companies were required to answer specific questions designed to verify their manufacturing and export credentials.
All profiled suppliers participated in a survey designed to provide insight into price trends, sales outlook and target markets in the months ahead. All survey questions are single choice. Results were calculated based on the actual number of valid responses to each question.