• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Leadership in Libraries: A Focus on Ethnic-minority Librarians
Woodhead Publishing Ltd, February 2012, Pages: 212
The efforts of ethnic-minority librarians to become leaders in Western libraries are an important topic for any librarian working towards becoming a leader, with issues such as cross-cultural leadership relevant for all aspiring librarians.
"Leadership in Libraries" covers leadership in various areas, provides examples of successful minority leaders in different fields and statistical data on minorities and librarians in several countries. The title probes library school programs and their efforts to develop leadership skills among librarians in general, and among minority librarians in particular. The book begins by introducing the concept of ethnic-minority leadership, moving on in the first chapter to definitions by culture, profession, and gender. The next three chapters consider managers as leaders, leadership styles, skills, and leadership in school, public and academic libraries in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia. The final chapter includes instances of bad leadership, and offers a conclusion.
Readership: This book is for anyone who is interested in leadership. The focus is on library leadership and the ethnic minorities within, which will be useful to all librarians, library students, managers, supervisors, directors and Deans of higher education institutions.
- presents information on learning and developing leadership skills
- assesses current and relevant statistical data on minority librarians in Canada, US and UK
- explores information on leadership related courses offered in library schools
- provides an insight into the assimilation of minority leaders
- What is ethnic-minority leadership?
- Who are visible minorities?
- Focus of this book
- Diversity in diversity
- Minority leadership
- Literature on minority leadership in libraries
Leadership as defined by culture, profession and gender
- Leadership and culture
- What is culture?
- How does culture shape a person?
- What is cultural intelligence?
- What is social intelligence?
- What is emotional intelligence?
- Leadership and occupation
- Can leadership be taught?
- Managers as leaders
- Leadership and discrimination
- Women and leadership
- So what is leadership?
Managers and leaders
- Who are leaders?
- Who are managers?
- The origin of managers or management
- The evolvement of management
- Are there differences between managers and leaders?
- Libraries and their leaders and managers
- Motivating ethnic minorities
- Leaders and motivation
- What is motivation and how does one motivate others?
- Team motivation
- Classical theory
- Early behavioral theory
- Contemporary motivation theories
- What is leadership style?
- Theories of leadership
- Styles that work
- Factors in leadership style
- Do women leaders have a different leadership style?
- Time management and being organized
- Communication skills and cultural differences
- Kinds of communication
- Electronic communication
- Language and communication
- Critical thinking skills
- Conceptual and decision-making skills
- Fiscal skills
- Technical skills
- Human relations skills (or people skills)
Leadership in school, public and academic libraries in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia
- School libraries and leadership
- Lack of applications from school librarians
- Public libraries and leadership
- What are public libraries doing about
- ethnic-minority leadership?
- Leadership programs for public librarians
- How can leadership help public librarians?
- Leadership in academic libraries
- Leadership programs for ethnic-minority librarians
- in the US, Canada, the UK and Australia
- Statistically speaking
- Ethnic-minority librarians survey
- Survey for deans and directors of libraries
- Survey for deans and directors of library schools
- Bad leadership
Maha Kumaran is the Saskatchewan Health Information Resources Partnership Librarian at the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada. Prior to this, she was the Virtual Reference Librarian at Saskatoon Public Library (SPL), and she has also served as the Adult/Young Adult Librarian at SPL. Maha has worked in Canadian libraries for the last 16 years.