- Language: English
- 295 Pages
- Published: April 2012
- Region: World
Coatings for biomedical applications
- Published: February 2012
- Region: World
- 376 Pages
- Woodhead Publishing Ltd
The biomaterials sector is rapidly expanding due to the increase in healthcare spending worldwide. Coatings and surface modification of biomaterials provides a means to improve the wear of joints, change the biological interaction between implant and host and combine the properties of various materials to improve device performance. The considerable interest in coatings for biomedical applications has resulted in a great deal of research in industry and academia. This book provides a comprehensive review of coatings and surface modification for biomedical applications, including background, theory, materials and applications. The clear structure and concise review of research provides a valuable resource to researchers in the field of biomedical coatings.
Part 1 Coating types and applications: Hydrophilic coatings for biomedical applications in and ex vivo
- Mineral coatings for orthopaedic applications
- Other commonly-used biomedical coatings: Pyrolytic carbon coatings
- Electrochemical surface modifications of titanium and titanium alloys for biomedical applications
- Surface preparation techniques for biomedical applications
- Characterization of biomedical coatings.
Part 2 Case studies: Coatings for cardiovascular devices: Coronary stents
- Coatings for cardiovascular devices: Extracorporeal circuits
- Surface coatings for ventricular assist devices
- Orthopaedic coatings
- Surface coatings in urology
- Ophthalmic coatings.
Mike Driver is Biomaterials Business Director at Vertellus Specialties UK Ltd. He has been instrumental in the development of new materials for contact lenses and biocompatible coatings for medical devices.
|Hard Copy||A printed copy of the report will be shipped to you.|