- Published: March 2012
- Region: Portugal
Service Station Retailing in Finland 2011
- Published: February 2012
- Region: Europe, Finland
- 54 Pages
- Verdict Research Limited
Based on Verdict's proprietary market data and insight into key fuel retailers, this brief provides you with an up-to-date picture of the fuel retailing market in Finland. In addition to outlining service station numbers, fuel sales, competitor shares, and fuel and site forecasts, it also details retailers' c-store, car wash, and unmanned site numbers with an overview of their product offerings.
- Benchmark your service station retail offer against the major national players in the sector by examining their number of sites, shops and car washes.
- Develop new marketing ideas for your service station shop, car wash and card propositions by examining the activities of other players across Finland.
- Make informed pitches to potential partners by gaining insights into the major retailers’ networks, market shares, fuel throughputs, and future plans.
- Assess overall market entry potential by accessing key market indicators including registered cars, national fuel volumes, and average prices.
- The total number of service stations in Finland fell marginally to 1,960 in 2010. The number of sites is predicted to drop rapidly until 2014. 53% of service stations in Finland are unmanned. The proportion has grown rapidly from 45% in 2009.
- Total fuel volumes sold in Finland rose 1.9% after two consecutive years of decline. Demand for petrol continued to fall in 2010, with a drop of 2.1%. Consumption of diesel, however, grew strongly by 8.3% after a fall in the previous year. Total fuel consumption is estimated to drop slightly by 2013.
- Over 45% of all service stations in Finland feature a shop. The total number of sites with a shop fell by 6.0% in 2010. Neste is the largest service station shop player in Finland, with over a third of all sites with a shop operating under the Neste banner. A car wash is present at just over 27% of service stations in Finland.
Key questions answered:
- Who are the top five players in the Finnish service station retail market and how many sites, shops, and car washes do they have?
- What is the market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in Finland?
- How is the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets, as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes?
- What strategies do the key players have across their fuel and non-fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, partnerships and suppliers used? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Service station competitor overview
A metrics of the top three fuel retailers in terms of fuel volume share and the number of service stations, motorway sites, unmanned sites, shops, and car wash.
Service station market overview
A brief synopsis of the service station market and basic commentary regarding fuel consumption, fuel prices, network changes, fuel volumes and network forecasts, motorway sites, unmanned sites, and shop and car wash penetration.
Company level charts showing:
Service station network size by brand, 2011
Fuel volume market share by brand, 2010
Motorway service stations by brand, 2011
Unmanned service stations by brand, 2011
Competitor ranking in 2010 compared to 2009
Top five fuel retailers’ fuel and network information, including:
Company owned and dealer owned sites
Fuel volume market share
Types of fuel sold
Additional secondary information, e.g. LPG sites, planned expansion/divestments
Top five fuel retailers’ shop sites, including:
Shop network and penetration, over five years
Shop proposition, brand name, partnerships, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers’ car wash sites, including:
Car wash network and penetration, over five years
Car wash types, manufacturers, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers commercial fuel card and B2C loyalty card offerings
Basic marketing information on card features, such as network acceptance and incorporated services, and pictures of loyalty and fuel cards.
Market level charts showing:
Total service stations, cars per service station, and population per service station, over five years
Car parc and population per car, over five years
Proportion of petrol and diesel cars, over five years
Total fuel volume sales through service stations, average fuel volumes per car, average fuel volumes per service station, over five years
Global oil prices, 95 octane petrol prices, 98 octane petrol prices, and autodiesel prices, over eight years
Total diesel sales value in €, total petrol sales value in €, average fuel spend per car in €, average fuel spend per service station in €, over five years
Total motorway service stations, over five years
Total unmanned service stations, over five years
The Finnish service station network contracted marginally in 2010
A quarter of service stations in Finland operate under the Neste brand
The top five players account for over 95% of fuel volumes sold
ABC has the highest number of sites on the motorway
Each of the major players operate unmanned sites in Finland
Neste boosted its unmanned network in 2010
Over half of all Teboil-branded sites are unmanned
ABC’s share of the national site network is rapidly rising
The Shell-branded network contracted by 10 sites during 2010
St1 gained 4.5% in average fuel throughput in 2010
Finland’s fuel consumption increased by 1.9% in 2010
The total number of service stations fell by six sites in 2010
The Finnish car parc has been growing at a slowing growth rate
Almost a fifth of cars in Finland are powered on diesel
Fuel volume sales per car rose marginally in 2010
Petrol in Finland cost over €1.40 per liter in 2010
Growth in diesel sales values far outpaced that of petrol in 2010
The number of motorway service stations remained unchanged in 2010
Over half of all service stations in Finland are unmanned
The number of service stations with a shop has been declining rapidly
A third of service stations with a shop operate under the Neste brand
The Shell-branded network has the highest shop penetration in Finland
The proportion of Neste sites with a shop fell to 60%
Some Shell sites feature a Helmi Simpukka restaurant
Over 40% of Teboil-branded service stations feature a shop
Some ABC sites in Finland feature a full-service restaurant
The number of St1 sites with a shop fell by 21.9% in 2010
The number of sites with a car wash fell by 7.8% in 2010
The top five fuel brands account for 91.9% of sites with a car wash
Neste’s share of the car wash market has leapt to 43%
The proportion of Teboil sites with a car wash has fallen
The number of Shell sites with a car wash fell by 18.1% in 2010
12% of St1-branded sites feature a car wash
ABC has been increasing its number of sites with a car wash
All data are taken from our 2011 Service Station Retailing Database
Stage one - Agree scope and definitions
Stage two - Collating the information
Stage three - Data-inputting and checks
Stage four - Full data finalization check
Ask the analyst