• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Service Station Retailing in Bulgaria 2011
Verdict Research Limited, April 2012, Pages: 58
Based on Verdict Retail's proprietary market data and insight into key fuel retailers, this brief provides you with an up-to-date picture of the fuel retailing market in Bulgaria. In addition to outlining service station numbers, fuel sales, competitor shares, and fuel and site forecasts, it also details retailers' c-store, car wash, and unmanned site numbers with an overview of their product offerings.
- Benchmark your service station retail offer against the major national players in the sector by examining their number of sites, shops and car washes.
- Develop new marketing ideas for your service station shop, car wash and card propositions by examining the activities of key players across Bulgaria.
- Make informed pitches to potential partners by gaining insights into the major retailers' networks, market shares, fuel throughputs, and future plans
- Assess overall market entry potential by accessing key market indicators including registered cars, national fuel volumes, and average prices.
- In Bulgaria, the total number of service stations increased by 12% to 3,142 sites in the year to January 2011. In 2010, total fuel volume sales in Bulgaria dropped by a dramatic 17.2% on the previous year, as sales of both petrol and diesel fell significantly.
- The top five fuel players in Bulgaria by fuel sales account for only 27.9% of all service stations in the country, making it a very fragmented market.
- Petrol Bulgaria is the largest player in terms of site numbers, with 11.8% of outlets operating under its brand.
- Service station shops are present at 68% of sites in Bulgaria. The total number of sites with a shop in Bulgaria rose by 13% in the year to January 2011, in line with the rise of the total number of service stations. The service station car wash market is quite underdeveloped, with less than 5% of sites featuring a car wash.
Reasons to Purchase
- Who are the top five players in the Bulgarian service station retail market and how many sites, shops, and car washes do they have?
- What is the market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in Bulgaria?
- How is the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets, as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes?
- What strategies do the key players have across their fuel and non-fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, partnerships and suppliers used?
Service station competitor overview
- Metrics for the top three fuel retailers in terms of fuel volume share and the number of service stations, motorway sites, unmanned sites, shops, and car washes.
Service station market overview
- A brief synopsis of the service station market and basic commentary regarding fuel consumption, fuel prices, network changes, fuel volumes and network forecasts, motorway sites, unmanned sites, and shop and car wash penetration.
Company-level charts showing:
- Service station network size by brand, 2011
- Fuel volume market share by brand, 2010
- Motorway service stations by brand, 2011
- Unmanned service stations by brand, 2011
- Competitor ranking in 2010 compared to 2009
Top five fuel retailers' fuel and network information, including:
- Network size
- Motorway sites
- Unmanned sites
- Company owned and dealer owned sites
- Fuel volume market share
- Average throughput
- Types of fuel sold
- Additional secondary information (e.g. LPG sites, planned expansion/divestments)
Top five fuel retailers' shop sites, including:
- Shop network and penetration, over five years
- Shop proposition, brand name, partnerships, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers' car wash sites, including:
- Car wash network and penetration, over five years
- Car wash types, manufacturers, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers' commercial fuel card and B2C loyalty card offerings
- Basic marketing information on card features, such as network acceptance and incorporated services, and pictures of loyalty and fuel cards.
Market-level charts showing:
- Total service stations, cars per service station, and population per service station, over five years
- Car parc and population per car, over five years
- Proportion of petrol and diesel cars, over five years
- Total fuel volume sales through service stations, average fuel volumes per car, average fuel volumes per service station, over five years
- Global oil prices, 95 octane petrol prices, 98 octane petrol prices, and autodiesel prices, over eight years
- Total diesel sales value in euros, total petrol sales value in euros, average fuel spend per car in euros, average fuel spend per service station in euros, over five years
- Total motorway service stations, over five years
- Total unmanned service stations, over five years
The total number of service stations increased by 12.1% in 2010
- The top five brands account for less than 30% of all fuel retail sites
- Petrol Bulgaria and Lukoil have the highest fuel volume share
- A quarter of motorway stations operate under the Lukoil brand
- Lukoil is the only player to operate unmanned stations in Bulgaria
- Petrol Bulgaria divested 21 sites in 2010
- Lukoil expanded its service station network by 12 sites in 2010
- OMV's premium fuel brand, MaxxMotion, was introduced in 2011
- Shell has a 15% market share in Bulgaria
- Eko-Elda has plans to add 20 new sites to its network by 2015
The proportion of sites with a shop is steadily rising in Bulgaria
- Independent fuel retailers account for a large proportion of shops
- The top five players account for 30% of all service station shops
- Over 85% of all Lukoil-branded service stations feature a shop
- Petrol Bulgaria has a shop at around half of its sites
- Shell is the only player in the top five to have a shop at each site
- OMV features a shop at over 90% of all its service stations
- Over 70% of Eko-Elda's service station shops offer food service
Less than 5% of service stations in Bulgaria feature a car wash
- Eko-Elda operates the highest number of sites with a car wash
- Just under 40% of Eko-Elda-branded sites feature a car wash
- Almost a quarter of all OMV service stations feature a car wash
- Almost 5% of Petrol Bulgaria's sites feature a car wash
- Shell's number of car wash sites remained unchanged in 2010
- 10 Lukoil-branded service stations feature a car wash in Bulgaria
In 2010, total fuel consumption in Bulgaria fell significantly, by 17%
- The number of service stations soared by 12% in 2010
- In Bulgaria, the car parc grew by 4% in 2011
- The vast majority of cars in Bulgaria run on petrol
- Fuel volume sales in Bulgaria have fluctuated since 2006
- The price of petrol reached an all time high in 2010
- Average fuel spend per car increased by 33% in 2010
- The number of motorway sites has doubled since 2007
- Less than 1% of service stations in Bulgaria are fully unmanned
All data are taken from our 2011 Service Station Retailing Database
- Stage one: agree scope and definitions
- Stage two: collating the information
- Stage three: data-inputting and checks
- Stage four: full data finalization check
Ask the analyst