- Published: March 2012
- Region: Portugal
Service Station Retailing in France 2011
- Published: April 2012
- Region: France
- 43 Pages
- Verdict Research Limited
Based on Verdict Retail's proprietary market data and insight into key fuel retailers, this brief provides you with an up-to-date picture of the fuel retailing market in France. In addition to outlining service station numbers, fuel sales, competitor shares, and fuel and site forecasts, it also details retailers' c-store, car wash, and unmanned site numbers with an overview of their product offerings.
Benchmark your service station retail offer against the major national players in the sector by examining their number of sites, shops and car washes.
Develop new marketing ideas for your service station shop, car wash, and card propositions by examining the activities of other players across France.
Make informed pitches to potential partners by gaining insights into the major retailers’ networks, market shares, fuel throughputs, and future plans.
Assess overall market entry potential by accessing key market indicators including registered cars, national fuel volumes, and average prices.
- The total number of service stations in France declined by 3.8% to 12,051 sites in the year to January 2011. TOTAL has the largest service station network in France, followed by Intermarché and Carrefour. In 2011, TOTAL launched a new service station brand, TOTAL Access, to offer low fuel prices combined with premium fuels and other services.
- Total fuel volumes sold through service stations in France increased by 1.0% in 2010 on the back of increased diesel sales, as petrol sales declined by 6.5%. Supermarkets dominate the service station market in France, with Carrefour, Intermarché, Système U, and Leclerc combined commanding a total volume share of 33.2%.
- In France, a shop is present at 31.3% of service stations, giving it a much lower penetration than some its neighbouring markets. The number of sites with car wash facilities is relatively low in France, with car washes available at only a fifth of all service stations
Reasons to Purchase
- Who are the top five players in the French service station retail market and how many sites, shops, and car washes do they have?
- What is the market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in France?
- How is the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets, as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes?
- What strategies do the key players have across their fuel and non-fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, partnerships and suppliers used?
Service Station Retailing in France outlines recent movements in the national petrol station network, fuel volume sales, network ownership, market shares, and site forecasts while also analyzing retailers' fuel, shop, car wash, and card propositions. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Service station competitor overview
- A metrics of the top three fuel retailers in terms of fuel volume share and the number of service stations, motorway sites, unmanned sites, shops, and car wash.
Service station market overview
- A brief synopsis of the service station market and basic commentary regarding fuel consumption, fuel prices, network changes, fuel volumes and network forecasts, motorway sites, unmanned sites, and shop and car wash penetration.
Company level charts showing:
- Service station network size by brand, 2011
- Fuel volume market share by brand, 2010
- Motorway service stations by brand, 2011
- Unmanned service stations by brand, 2011
- Competitor ranking in 2010 compared to 2009
Top five fuel retailers’ fuel and network information, including:
- Network size
- Motorway sites
- Unmanned sites
- Company owned and dealer owned sites
- Fuel volume market share
- Average throughput
- Types of fuel sold
- Additional secondary information, e.g. LPG sites, planned expansion/divestments
Top five fuel retailers’ shop sites, including:
- Shop network and penetration, over five years
- Shop proposition, brand name, partnerships, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers’ car wash sites, including:
- Car wash network and penetration, over five years
- Car wash types, manufacturers, and additional secondary information
Top five fuel retailers commercial fuel card and B2C loyalty card offerings
- Basic marketing information on card features, such as network acceptance and incorporated services, and pictures of loyalty and fuel cards.
Market level charts showing:
- Total service stations, cars per service station, and population per service station, over five years
- Car parc and population per car, over five years
- Proportion of petrol and diesel cars, over five years
- Total fuel volume sales through service stations, average fuel volumes per car, average fuel volumes per service station, over five years
- Global oil prices, 95 octane petrol prices, 98 octane petrol prices, and autodiesel prices, over eight years
- Total diesel sales value in €, total petrol sales value in €, average fuel spend per car in €, average fuel spend per service station in €, over five years
- Total motorway service stations, over five years
- Total unmanned service stations, over five years
The number of service stations in France fell by 4% in 2011
- Over a third of all French fuel stations operate under the TOTAL brand
- Four of the top five fuel retailers in France are grocers
- Half of all motorway sites operate under the TOTAL and Esso brands
- Esso has the largest number of unmanned sites in France
- Intermarché added 21 sites to its network in 2010
- TOTAL’s service station network contracted by 7.3% in 2010
- Carrefour has a share of over 12% of the French fuel retailing market
- Système U added ten sites to its network in 2010
- Leclerc accounts for 6% of total fuel volumes in France
Total fuel volume sales rose by 1.0% in 2010
- The number of service stations has fallen by 10% since 2007
- Registered vehicle numbers have been growing at less than 1%
- Almost 60% of cars in France are diesel powered
- Fuel volume sales in France recovered slightly in 2010
- Diesel prices rose by over 45% in 2010 in France
- The value of diesel sales soared by over 50% in 2010
- Less than 3% of service stations are situated on the motorway
- The share of unmanned sites in France is steadily rising
The number of sites with a shop has fallen by 20% since 2008
- TOTAL accounts for over three-quarters of service station shops
- Only five major players in France operate shops at their sites
- TOTAL offers a rechargeable smart card for its coffee vending machines
Just over 20% of all service stations feature a car wash in France
- TOTAL and Système U account for 77% of sites with a car wash
- TOTAL customers can get a 25% discount on a car wash
- Over two thirds of Système U sites feature a car wash
All data are taken from our 2011 Service Station Retailing Database
- Stage one - Agree scope and definitions
- Stage two - Collating the information
- Stage three - Data-inputting and checks
- Stage four - Full data finalization check
Ask the analyst