- Language: English
- 42 Pages
- Published: March 2012
- Region: Canada
South Africa B2C E-Commerce Report 2012
- Published: May 2012
- Region: Africa, South Africa
- 46 Pages
- yStats GmbH & Co. KG
B2C E-Commerce Market is trending upward in South Africa
The latest ""South Africa B2C E-Commerce Report 2012"" published by Hamburg-based secondary market research firm yStats.com provides an in-depth analysis of B2C E-Commerce in South Africa. Aside from trends, revenue figures and market shares, the report covers the most successful product categories, online shopper figures and the competitors.
In December 2011, South Africa was the fifth largest nation in Africa in terms of Internet users, with Nigeria at the top of the list. In line with this trend, the use of social media has become a significant activity among Internet users in 2011, with the MXit website recording the highest number of registered users.
Air tickets a major factor in South African B2C E-Commerce
According to the ""South Africa B2C E-Commerce Report 2012"" by yStats.com, B2C E-Commerce is expected to become even more popular in South Africa in 2012, spurred by the increased use of smartphones and the consequent higher Internet penetration. B2C E-Commerce revenue increased from 2010 to 2011 by almost one third, with more and more Internet users making purchases online. One of the most successful categories was “Air Tickets”, generating more than two thirds of all online revenue in 2011. In the same year, more than ten percent of all mobile Internet users in South Africa shopped online using their mobile phones. This trend can be attributed mainly to the growing acceptance of mobile payment options.
Groupon also highly successful in South Africa
As shown in the yStats.com ""South Africa B2C E-Commerce Report 2012"", more than 70 percent of all Internet users in South Africa researched product information online in the period between October 2010 and October 2011 – this was particularly true for men. Concerns about the safety of online shopping have also continued to decrease among Internet users between 2009 and 2011. In 2011, Kalahari was the most popular online shop in South Africa, followed by Amazon and Bid-or-Buy. Groupon had the largest market share among all group buying websites in South Africa in 2011, followed by Wicount.
- South Africa was the fifth largest Internet country in Africa in December 2011, while Nigeria was number one.
- Social media has become one of the core activities of Internet users in South Africa in 2011, with MXit having most users.
- In 2011, B2C E-Commerce sales in South Africa increased by almost a third compared to 2010, while the share of online shoppers in % of Internet users also grew.
- “Air Tickets” represented more than two-thirds of total online retail in South Africa in 2011.
- In 2011, Kalahari was the most popular online shop in South Africa, followed by Amazon."
- These market reports inform top managers about recent market trends and assist with strategic company decisions
- The authors provide secondary market research: By using various sources of information we ensure maximum objectivity for all obtained data. As a result companies get a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
- The analyses, statistical reports and forecasts are only based on reliable sources including national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and company databases, journals, company registries and news portals.
- The author's international employees research and filter all sources and translate relevant information into English. This ensures that the content of the original studies is correctly interpreted.
- All research results delivered as PowerPoint files. All data can therefore be used directly for board presentations or be individually adapted.
*For sample page request please contact our customer service team SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY
- Africa Top 10 Internet Countries, in million Users, December 2011
- Africa Top 10 Facebook Countries, in million Users, December 2011
- Social Media Trends in South Africa, 2011
- Online Habits of South African Audience on Real Estate Websites, 2012 and Online Activities of South African Real Estate Website Audience, in %, 2012
- B2C E-Commerce Trends in South Africa, 2010-2012
- South African Spending on Online Shopping, by Gender, in %, 12 Months ending October 2011
- Top Reasons regarding Choice of Online Retailer, in % Online Shoppers, 2011
- Barriers to foreign Online Shopping in South Africa, in % of Online Shoppers, 2011
- Reasons for Internet Usage in South Africa, 2011-Q1 2012 and Breakdown of Online Retail in South Africa into Air Tickets and Other Online Retail, in %, 2011
- Mobile Retail Trends, 2012
- Share of Mobile Phone Owners in South Africa accessing the Internet using their Phone, in %, 2011
- Breakdown of Mobile Commerce via Mobile Phones in South Africa, in % of Mobile Internet Users, 2011
- Mobile Banking Development, 2011/2012
- B2C E-Commerce Delivery Trends in South Africa, 2011/2012
- Online Research Conduction prior to In-Store Purchase and Offline Research Conduction prior to Online Purchase in South Africa, by Gender, in % of Internet Users, 12 Months ending October 2011
- Online Research Conduction prior to Online Purchase in South Africa, by Gender, in % of Internet Users, 12 Months ending October 2011
- Online Shopping Security Concerns in South Africa, in % of Internet Users, 2009-2011
- Online Travel Market Trends in South Africa, 2011
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in South Africa, in ZAR billion, 2009-2011
- Breakdown of total Retail in South Africa into Online Retail and physical Retail, in %, 2010 and Online Retail and Physical Retail Growth Rates, in %, 2010
- Most popular Categories in the Holiday Shopping Season in South Africa, in %, 2011
6. USERS / SHOPPERS
- Online Shoppers in South Africa, in % of Internet Users, 2009-2011
- South African Internet Users having shopped Online, by Gender, in %, 12 Months ending October 2011
- Growing B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa, 2011/2012
- Top 3 Online Shops in South Africa, by Popularity, in %, 2011
- Top 3 most popular Online Shops in South Africa, Unique Visitors, in thousands, and Audience Reach, in %, March 2012
- News about B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa: Bid-or-Buy, 2012
- News about B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa: Kalahari, 2011/2012
- News about B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa: Samsung, 2012
- News about B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa: Takealot, 2011
- News about B2C E-Commerce Players in South Africa: Vaimo, 2012
- Breakdown of Group-buying Websites in South Africa, by Market Share, in %, 2011