- Published: December 2011
- Region: Italy
Payment cards in Italy - Main players
- Published: September 2012
- Region: Italy
- 17 pages
- Databank Cerved Group
This report supplies information on the competitors typologies of the Payment Cards Italian market: types of operators, by segment, by nationality or ownership structure, ranking of companies in terms of turnover, net income, competitive positions, breakdown by business segment, regional breakdown, are studied in depth in this report.
This report provides an analysis of the payment card market. The Bank of Italy's formal definition of payment cards is "plastic cards that allow payments to be made without the exchange of bank notes or coins. They may also be used to withdraw cash from automatic teller machines (ATMs) in Italy and abroad. They are normally divided into three categories: credit cards, debit cards and prepaid cards."
- Products: payment cards are an electronic payment instrument used as a replacement for cash.
- Functions: their main function is payment. Financing is also an important feature and is possible thanks to revolving credit cards. Another important function is withdrawal of cash from ATMs.
- Clients: cards are used by retail clients, mainly comprised of families and small businesses, and corporate clients.
The following segments will be analysed:
- Debit cards: classic debit cards which allow the holder to withdraw cash and make payments on national and international networks;
- Prepaid cards: rechargeable or disposable prepaid debit cards;
- Charge cards: allow the holder to defer repayments, generally made at the end of each month;
- Credit cards: cards that allow for repayments to be made in monthly instalments (includes option credit cards, where the cardholder has the choice between full lump sum repayment and monthly instalments).
This report also presents market shares and rankings for:
- credit card issuing: credit card issuing and related transactions;
- credit card acquiring: agreements with merchants to manage payment authorisation via credit card at points of sale (POS);
- prepaid cards with an IBAN (account cards): this is a sub-segment of prepaid cards - in addition to the usual prepaid card functions, these cards allow the holder to perform most functions associated with a current account;
- company credit cards: credit cards for business customers;
- personal credit cards: credit cards for individual consumers.
This report also evaluates the contactless card market.
Throughout the report, all market shares have been calculated with respect to the card issuer, as opposed to the distributor.
Amongst the payment networks, Visa and Mastercard operate under a four-party system, in which issuing and acquiring are not performed by the network company but by independent and generally separate parties; acquiring involves management of the POS, whereas issuing varies according to the card used by the holder for the individual purchase. American Express, on the other hand, operates under a three-party system in which the network company also performs issuing and acquiring activities (the other two parties are the cardholder and the merchant).
The present analysis does not include cards issued directly by producers of goods and/or services that may be purchased directly via the card itself, referring to a single item or the limited sum of goods and services sold by the issuing company.
Databank’s methodology for Competitors reports begins with a careful screening to identify the main organisations that are representative of a given sector. Several one-to-one interviews are then conducted with the selected organisations. Questionnaires are sent to all the leading companies on an annual basis. The information collected is then verified by an expert in the particular sector using a system of counterchecks to guarantee that the information is entirely reliable and consistent. The process is then completed using Cerved Group’s proprietary information about Italian enterprises. All Competitors reports also include details concerning the strategies and performances of the leading companies in each sector. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Scope 5
2.2. Segments 5
3. TYPES OF OPERATORS 6
4. RANKING OF COMPANIES 7
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 17
List of Tables and Graphs:
PAYMENT CARDS: NUMBER OF PAYMENT CARDS OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2009-2011
PAYMENT CARDS: TOTAL INCOME OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2009-2011
PAYMENT CARDS: LEADING COMPANIES' CARD PORTFOLIOS BY SEGMENT, 2011
PAYMENT CARDS: COMPOSITION OF LEADING COMPANIES' CARD PORTFOLIOS BY SEGMENT,2011
PAYMENT CARDS: NUMBER OF CREDIT AND CHARGE CARDS ISSUED BY SOME MAJOR COMPANIES, 2010 AND 2011
PAYMENT CARDS: LOCATION AND OWNERSHIP OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2012
3M ITALIA SPA
ADHESIVE BASED CHEMICALS SRL
AKZO NOBEL COATINGS SPA
AMONN FIRE SRL
COLLANTI CONCORDE SRL
COSTCHEM SRL UNIPERSONALE
DURANTE & VIVAN SPA
ERICOM ITALIA SRL
EUROKOLL ADESIVI INDUSTRIALI SRL
FISCHER ITALIA SRL
FORBO ADHESIVES ITALIA SPA
FRABO ADESIVI SPA
FRATELLI ZUCCHINI SRL
H.B. FULLER ITALIA SRL
HENKEL ITALIA SPA
INDUSTRIE CHIMICHE FORESTALI SPA
JOWAT ITALIA SRL
PPG INDUSTRIES ITALIA SPA
ROHM AND HAAS ITALIA SRL
ROSER ADESIVI SRL
SARATOGA INT. SFORZA SPA
SAVARE' I.C. SRL
SIKA ITALIA SPA
SOCIETA' AZIONARIA PER L'INDUSTRIA CHIMICA ITALIANA "S.A.P.I.C.I." SPA
TORGGLER CHIMICA SPA
UHU BOSTIK SPA
WACKER-CHEMIE ITALIA SRL