This report provides an analysis of the credit and charge card market.
The Bank of Italy's formal definition of credit cards is "plastic cards" that allow the user to "purchase goods and services in Italy and abroad without paying in cash. These cards may be used regardless of the availability of funds in a current account at the time of the purchase; the funds needed to cover the expenses must be present when the amount due is debited."
- Products: credit cards and charge cards are electronic payment instruments used as a replacement for cash.
- Functions: credit and charge cards have two functions: first, as payment instruments, and second, to obtain credit, essentially a loan when it is agreed that payments are to be made in instalments. Another important function is withdrawal of cash from ATMs, usually for a fee.
- Clients: cards are used by retail clients, mainly comprised of families and small businesses, and corporate clients.
The following segments will be analysed:
- Charge cards: allow the holder to defer repayments, generally to the end of the month or the subsequent month;
- Credit cards: allow the holder to make repayments in monthly instalments. Most credit cards are revolving, that is, available credit increases whenever amounts previously borrowed are repaid. The cardholder pays interest proportional to residual debt. Some credit cards, known in Italy as "option" cards, allow the holder to choose between full lump sum repayment and monthly instalments.
For this report, market shares have been calculated based on the number of cards currently in circulation. Throughout the report, all market shares have been calculated with respect to the card issuer, as
opposed to the distributor.
This report also presents market shares and rankings for:
- credit card issuing: transactions via cards in circulation from the cardholder's point of view, thus including the value of cash advances withdrawn using the cards;
- credit card acquiring: transactions via cards as registered at points of sale (POS). Acquiring involves agreements with merchants to manage payment authorisation via credit card at the merchant's POS;
- company credit cards: credit cards for business customers;
- personal credit cards: credit cards for individual consumers;
- premium personal credit cards: cards considered to be under the "premium" category include Travel & Entertainment (T&E) cards and gold/platinum/black cards. T&E cards are defined as credit cards that "beyond the payment function, allow the holder to access a set of services, including insurance services, generally with preference to the demands of clients who, whether for work or for leisure, travel often and require higher spending limits". Similar characteristics apply to gold, platinum and black cards issued by banks, which unlike typical credit cards do not have credit limits (frequently Euro3,000 a month, or in some cases up to Euro5,000), and also offer additional services.
Databank's methodology for Competitors reports begins with a careful screening to identify the main organisations that are representative of a given sector. Several one-to-one interviews are then conducted with the selected organisations. Questionnaires are sent to all the leading companies on an annual basis. The information collected is then verified by an expert in the particular sector using a system of counterchecks to guarantee that the information is entirely reliable and consistent. The process is then completed using Cerved Group's proprietary information about Italian enterprises. All Competitors reports also include details concerning the strategies and performances of the leading companies in each sector.
Wherever no specific source is indicated, the information published in these reports can be assumed to have been taken from Cerved Group's proprietary information bank. Coverage of any sector in Competitors products may be used in company presentations or in training courses on the subject.
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 5
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 6
2.1. Scope 6
2.2. Segments 6
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 8
3.1. Key sector data 8
3.2. Supply and demand trends 10
3.3. Market leaders 10
3.4. Business strategies 11
4. SECTOR ENVIRONMENT 12
4.1. Sector data 12
4.2. Competitive forces 14
4.3. Notable recent events and developments 16
5. DEMAND ANALYSIS 18
6. SUPPLY ANALYSIS 23
6.1. Key characteristics 23
6.2. Sector financials 24
7. COMPETITIVE SCENARIO 29
7.1. Types of operators 29
7.2. Ranking of companies 29
7.3. Competitive performances by segment 39
7.3.1. Market share 39
8. STRATEGIES OBSERVED 48
8.1. Strategic map of operators 48
8.2. Winning strategies 50
9. OPPORTUNITIES AND THREATS 52
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 53
List of Tables and Graphs:
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED
KEY SECTOR DATA
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: NUMBER OF CARDS IN CIRCULATION AND RELATED TRANSACTION VALUES, 2010-2014
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: IMPACT OF COMPETITIVE FORCES, 2013
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: NUMBER OF PER CAPITA NON-CASH TRANSACTIONS AND PAYMENT CARD TRANSACTIONS IN ITALY, 2000 AND 2007-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: TRENDS IN CARD TRANSACTION AMOUNTS AND INCIDENCE ON TOTAL ITALIAN CONSUMER SPENDING, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: BREAKDOWN OF PAYMENT CARD TRANSACTIONS BY TYPE OF CARD, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: GEOGRAPHICAL BREAKDOWN OF CARD TRANSACTION VALUE, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: ACTIVE CARDS, AS A PERCENTAGE OF ALL CARDS IN CIRCULATION, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: AGGREGATE INCOME STATEMENT ITEMS OF BANKS LOCATED IN ITALY, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: AGGREGATE FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR CONSUMER CREDIT COMPANIES, 2010-2011
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CREDIT QUALITY RATIOS OF CONSUMER CREDIT COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: REVENUE BREAKDOWN FOR A PANEL OF SPECIALISED COMPANIES, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: NUMBER OF CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS OF MAJOR COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: TOTAL INCOME OF MAJOR COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CARD TRANSACTION VALUES OF MAJOR COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS AS PERCENTAGE OF ALL PAYMENT CARDS IN MAJOR COMPANIES' PORTFOLIOS / NUMBER OF CARDS ISSUED DIRECTLY AND BY THIRD PARTIES, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: MAJOR COMPANIES' CARD PORTFOLIOS BY SEGMENT, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: COMPOSITION OF LEADING COMPANIES' CARD PORTFOLIOS BY SEGMENT, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: NUMBER OF CREDIT AND CHARGE CARDS ISSUED BY SOME MAJOR COMPANIES, 2011 AND 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: LOCATION AND OWNERSHIP OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2013
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CARD PORTFOLIOS AND RELATED MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CARD TRANSACTION AMOUNTS AND RELATED MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CHARGE CARD PORTFOLIOS AND MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CREDIT CARD PORTFOLIOS AND MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: CREDIT CARD ACQUIRING: TRANSACTION VALUE FOR LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: PERSONAL CREDIT CARD PORTFOLIOS AND MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: COMPANY CREDIT CARD PORTFOLIOS AND MARKET SHARES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: MARKET SHARES IN THE PERSONAL PREMIUM SEGMENT
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: STRATEGIC MAP OF OPERATORS, 2012
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: OPPORTUNITIES AND THEIR IMPACT IN THE SHORT/LONG TERM, 2013
CREDIT & CHARGE CARDS: THREATS AND THEIR IMPACT IN THE SHORT/LONG TERM, 2013
- AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVICES EUROPE LIMITED
- B.P.M. S.C.A.R.L.
- BANCA MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA S.P.A.
- BANCA POPOLARE DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA S.C.
- BARCLAYS BANK PLC
- BNL S.P.A.
- CARIPARMA S.P.A.
- CARTASI S.P.A.
- C-CARD S.P.A.
- COMPASS S.P.A.
- CONSEL S.P.A.
- CONSUM.IT S.P.A.
- CREDEM S.P.A.
- CREDITIS S.P.A.
- DEUTSCHE BANK S.P.A.
- DINERS CLUB ITALIA S.R.L.
- FIDITALIA S.P.A.
- FINDOMESTIC BANCA S.P.A.
- FINITALIA S.P.A.
- ICCREA BANCA S.P.A.
- INTESA SANPAOLO S.P.A.
- SANTANDER CONSUMER BANK S.P.A.
- UBI BANCA S.C.P.A.
- UNICARD S.P.A.
- UNICREDIT S.P.A.