• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Mozzarella in Italy - Main players
Databank Cerved Group, May 2011, Pages: 27
This report supplies information on the competitors typologies of the mozzarella Italian market: types of operators, by segment, by nationality or ownership structure, ranking of companies in terms of turnover, net income, competitive positions, breakdown by business segment, regional breakdown, are studied in depth in this report.
Product technology: There are two distinct techniques used for the production of mozzarella cheese:
- traditionally curdled mozzarella: milk is curdled using rennet (lactic acid bacteria) only. Mozzarella produced by this method is eligible for Traditional Specialty Guaranteed (TSG) status according to European Union regulations, as long as several other conditions are met. These conditions include the use of separate structures for receiving and storing raw milk and the use of natural milk starter cultures prepared from fresh raw milk.
- mozzarella curdled using citric acid: milk is curdled using citric acid or a combination of rennet and citric acid.
The sector can be segmented according to:
Type of raw material used?
- cow's milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with cow's milk;
- water buffalo milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with 100% water buffalo milk or a mixture of buffalo and cow milk. (N.B. 100% water buffalo mozzarella includes "Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP", i.e. buffalo mozzarella with Protected Destination of Origin status, as well as mozzarella made from water buffalo milk but produced outside the PDO areas).
Mode of consumption
- ?table mozzarella, which can be broken down further into:
- pre-packaged mozzarella of a predetermined weight, for self-service purchasing in hermetically sealed individual packages
- ?gourmet mozzarella of variable weight for full service sales, generally distributed to retailers in large, sealed containers
- mozzarella for cooking: used as toppings on pizzas and other foods, this type is generally sold in larger packages than mozzarella intended for direct consumption; these packages normally do not contain liquid surrounding the cheese, but instead are vacuum packs or sealed paper wraps.
- retail: also includes street vendors and producers' outlets;?
- restaurants and caterers: for both cooking mozzarella and table mozzarella.
In order to draw up the Competitors report, the Databank method foresees the screening of the main realities of the sectors and various one-to-one interviews with the selected players. All this is then completed via:
- the gathering of information questionnaires that are filled out by the main companies on an annual basis;
- the checking of the gathered information by a sector expert, using a verification system that guarantees maximum reliability and consistency;
- the processing of information belonging to the Cerved Group about Italian economic realities.
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Scope 5
2.2. Segments 5
3. TYPES OF OPERATORS 6
4. RANKING OF COMPANIES 7
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 25
List of Tables and Graphs:
SECTOR-SPECIFIC SALES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2008-2010
LEADING COMPANIES' MAIN BRANDS, 2011
TOTAL SALES AND EBITDA MARGINS OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
MOZZARELLA SALES AS PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL FOR LEADING COMPANIES IN THE SECTOR, 2010
DIVERSIFICATION BY SEGMENT OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010
DIVERSIFICATION BY SEGMENT OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010 (cont'd)
DIVERSIFICATION INTO OTHER SECTORS OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010
PRODUCTION LOCATIONS AND NUMBER OF WORKERS OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2009-2010
HEADQUARTERS AND OWNERS OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010
A.B.C. ALLEVATORI BUFALINI CASERTANI S.c.a.
ABIT PIEMONTE CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO
ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A.
ASSEGNATARI ASSOCIATI ARBOREA S.C.
AZIENDE AGRICOLE ASSOCIATE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO ANDRIESE-BONTA’ GENUINA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO CIRIGLIANA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO DEL CIGNO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO F.LLI CAPURSO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO GALDI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO LA CONTADINA DI DI MASI & C. S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO MOLISE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PALAZZO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO PINZOLO-FIAVE'-ROVERETO S.c.a.
CASEIFICIO PREZIOSA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PUGLIESE F.LLI RADICCI S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO SPINELLI F.LLI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO VILLA S.R.L.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI FIRENZE, PISTOIA E LIVORNO S.P.A.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI TORINO & C. S.P.A.
CENTRO LATTE BRESSANONE S.c.a.
CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO LATTERIE FRIULANE S.c.a.
DEL GIUDICE S.R.L.
FATTORIE GAROFALO S.c.a.
FRANCIA LATTICINI S.P.A.
GRUPPO GRIFO LATTE S.A.C.
GRUPPO LACTALIS ITALIA S.P.A.
INDUSTRIA ALIMENTARE PUCCIO S.R.L.
INDUSTRIA LATTICINI G. CUOMO S.R.L.
INDUSTRIA LATTIERO CASEARIA MANDARA S.P.A.
LA MARCHESA S.c.a.
LA PERLA DEL MEDITERRANEO S.R.L.
LAT-BRI LATTICINI BRIANZA S.P.A.
LATTERIA DI SOLIGO S.c.a.
LATTERIA E CASEIFICIO MORO S.R.L.
LATTERIA MORTARETTA FRATELLI BALLESINI NEDO E ALESSANDRO S.R.L.
LATTICINI MOLISANI TAMBURRO S.R.L.
REGINELLA D'ABRUZZO S.R.L.
RUGGERO VILLA S.R.L.
SPINOSA LUCIA S.R.L.