- Published: October 2011
Mozzarella in Italy - Competitive performances and market shares
- Published: May 2011
- 25 pages
- Databank Cerved Group
This report supplies information on the competitive performances of the operators of the mozzarella Italian market: competitive performances by segment, market shares by segment, by distribution channel, breakdown by geographical area, production shares and export quotas by destination countries are studied in depth in this report.
Product technology: There are two distinct techniques used for the production of mozzarella cheese:
- traditionally curdled mozzarella: milk is curdled using rennet (lactic acid bacteria) only. Mozzarella produced by this method is eligible for Traditional Specialty Guaranteed (TSG) status according to European Union regulations, as long as several other conditions are met. These conditions include the use of separate structures for receiving and storing raw milk and the use of natural milk starter cultures prepared from fresh raw milk.
- mozzarella curdled using citric acid: milk is curdled using citric acid or a combination of rennet and citric acid.
The sector can be segmented according to:
Type of raw material used?
- cow's milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with cow's milk;
- water buffalo milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with 100% water buffalo milk or a mixture of buffalo and cow milk. (N.B. 100% water buffalo mozzarella includes "Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP", i.e. buffalo mozzarella with Protected Destination of Origin status, as well as mozzarella made from water buffalo milk but produced outside the PDO areas).
Mode of consumption
- ?table mozzarella, which can be broken down further into:
- pre-packaged mozzarella of a predetermined weight, for self-service purchasing in hermetically sealed individual packages
- ?gourmet mozzarella of variable weight for full service sales, generally distributed to retailers in large, sealed containers
- mozzarella for cooking: used as toppings on pizzas and other foods, this type is generally sold in larger packages than mozzarella intended for direct consumption; these packages normally do not contain liquid surrounding the cheese, but instead are vacuum packs or sealed paper wraps.
- retail: also includes street vendors and producers' outlets;?
- restaurants and caterers: for both cooking mozzarella and table mozzarella.
In order to draw up the Competitors report, the Databank method foresees the screening of the main realities of the sectors and various one-to-one interviews with the selected players. All this is then completed via:
- the gathering of information questionnaires that are filled out by the main companies on an annual basis;
- the checking of the gathered information by a sector expert, using a verification system that guarantees maximum reliability and consistency;
- the processing of information belonging to the Cerved Group about Italian economic realities.
SHOW LESS READ MORE >
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Scope 5
2.2. Segments 5
3. COMPETITIVE PERFORMANCES BY SEGMENT 6
3.1. Market share 6
3.2. Share of production 17
3.3. Share of export 21
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 23
List of Tables and Graphs:
MOZZARELLA: APPARENT CONSUMPTION(a)(b) AND MARKET SHARES BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2008-2010
TABLE MOZZARELLA: APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
PRE-PACKAGED TABLE MOZZARELLA: APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
GOURMET TABLE MOZZARELLA: APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
TABLE MOZZARELLA FROM COW'S MILK: APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
BUFFALO MOZZARELLA: APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
MOZZARELLA FOR COOKING(a): APPARENT CONSUMPTION AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(b), 2008-2010
TOTAL MOZZARELLA SALES VALUE(a)(b) AND MARKET SHARE OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2008-2010
TOTAL MOZZARELLA SALES VOLUME(a)(b) AND MARKET SHARE OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2008-2010
EXPORTS AND MARKET SHARE BY VOLUME OF LEADING COMPANIES(a), 2008-2010
EXPORT DESTINATION COUNTRIES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2010
A.B.C. ALLEVATORI BUFALINI CASERTANI S.c.a.
ABIT PIEMONTE CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO
ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A.
ASSEGNATARI ASSOCIATI ARBOREA S.C.
AZIENDE AGRICOLE ASSOCIATE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO ANDRIESE-BONTA’ GENUINA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO CIRIGLIANA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO DEL CIGNO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO F.LLI CAPURSO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO GALDI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO LA CONTADINA DI DI MASI & C. S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO MOLISE S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PALAZZO S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO PINZOLO-FIAVE'-ROVERETO S.c.a.
CASEIFICIO PREZIOSA S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO PUGLIESE F.LLI RADICCI S.P.A.
CASEIFICIO SPINELLI F.LLI S.R.L.
CASEIFICIO VILLA S.R.L.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI FIRENZE, PISTOIA E LIVORNO S.P.A.
CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI TORINO & C. S.P.A.
CENTRO LATTE BRESSANONE S.c.a.
CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO LATTERIE FRIULANE S.c.a.
DEL GIUDICE S.R.L.
FATTORIE GAROFALO S.c.a.
FRANCIA LATTICINI S.P.A.
GRUPPO GRIFO LATTE S.A.C.
GRUPPO LACTALIS ITALIA S.P.A.
INDUSTRIA ALIMENTARE PUCCIO S.R.L.
INDUSTRIA LATTICINI G. CUOMO S.R.L.
INDUSTRIA LATTIERO CASEARIA MANDARA S.P.A.
LA MARCHESA S.c.a.
LA PERLA DEL MEDITERRANEO S.R.L.
LAT-BRI LATTICINI BRIANZA S.P.A.
LATTERIA DI SOLIGO S.c.a.
LATTERIA E CASEIFICIO MORO S.R.L.
LATTERIA MORTARETTA FRATELLI BALLESINI NEDO E ALESSANDRO S.R.L.
LATTICINI MOLISANI TAMBURRO S.R.L.
REGINELLA D'ABRUZZO S.R.L.
RUGGERO VILLA S.R.L.
SPINOSA LUCIA S.R.L.
|Electronic (PDF)||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is a single user license, allowing one specific user access to the product.|
|Hard Copy||A printed copy of the report will be shipped to you.|
|Site License||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is a site license, allowing all users within a given geographical location of your organisation access to the product.|
|Enterprisewide||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is an enterprise license, allowing all employees within your organisation access to the product.|