• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Automobile insurance in Italy - Main players
Databank Cerved Group, November 2011, Pages: 25
This report supplies information on the competitors typologies of the automobile insurance Italian market: types of operators, by segment, by nationality or ownership structure, ranking of companies in terms of turnover, net income, competitive positions, breakdown by business segment, regional breakdown, are studied in depth in this report.
This study analyses two business lines in the automobile insurance market:
- Category 10 policies: compulsory Third-Party Liability for non-rail land vehicles (Responsabilità Civile Autoveicoli - RCA), hereinafter referred to as Vehicle Third-Party Liability insurance (V-TPL);?
- Category 3 policies: optional policies for non-rail land vehicles (Corpi Veicoli Terrestri - CVT) covering fire, theft, robbery, and the so-called "kasko" (damage to policyholder's vehicle), hereinafter referred to as Vehicle Property & Casualty insurance (V-P&C).
The principal characteristics of automobile insurance are:?
- modularity, starting from basic compulsory V-TPL insurance, additional components may be added;
- addressed to a mass market, with a fixed, core compulsory component and a very broad, as yet uncharted, potential for accessory components;?
- variable cost depending on the number of items covered, the type of coverage, and the method of provision;
- possibility of personalisation, mainly in the optional components, allowing the policy to be adapted as closely as possible to the specific needs of the policyholder and his/her characteristics (sex, age, driving habits, etc.).
This report addresses compulsory insurance (V-TPL) and optional insurance (theft, fire, kasko, vehicle service, etc.) covering risks associated with automobiles and non-rail land vehicles in general (commercial vehicles, motorcycles, campers, etc.).
The market is segmented into two business lines coinciding with two specific categories of P&C insurance, which are distinguished as to whether they are compulsory or optional:
- V-TPL policies (Category 10, Third-Party Liability for non-rail land vehicles), which are required by law;
- optional vehicle policies (Category 3, non-rail land vehicles), with coverage segmented as follows:
- driver injuries;?
- damage to windows;?
- vehicle service;?
- acts of vandalism;?
- atmospheric events;?
- legal expenses/license confiscation;?
- damage to policyholder's vehicle (kasko and mini-kasko);
In order to draw up the Competitors report, the Databank method foresees the screening of the main realities of the sectors and various one-to-one interviews with the selected players. All this is then completed via:
- the gathering of information questionnaires that are filled out by the main companies on an annual basis;
- the checking of the gathered information by a sector expert, using a verification system that guarantees maximum reliability and consistency;
- the processing of information belonging to the Cerved Group about Italian economic realities.
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Market overview 5
2.2. Scope 5
2.3. Segments 6
3. TYPES OF OPERATORS 7
4. RANKING OF COMPANIES 8
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 23
List of Tables and Graphs:
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE PREMIUMS, 2008-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: TOTAL NET PREMIUM INCOME OF MARKET LEADERS, 2008-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: RATIO OF VEHICLE PREMIUMS TO TOTAL P&C PREMIUMS BY MARKET LEADER, 2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: RATIO OF V-TPL AND V-P&C PREMIUMS TO TOTAL P&C BUSINESS BY MARKET LEADER, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: BREAKDOWN OF PREMIUMS BY BUSINESS LINE AND MARKET LEADER, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: VEHICLE COMBINED RATIO(a) OF MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: V-TPL COMBINED RATIO(a) OF MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: V-P&C COMBINED RATIO(a) OF MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: CLAIMS/PREMIUMS RATIO OF MARKET LEADERS, 2010
V-TPL POLICIES: CLAIMS/PREMIUMS RATIO OF MARKET LEADERS, 2010
V-P&C POLICIES: CLAIMS/PREMIUMS RATIO OF MARKET LEADERS, 2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: CLAIMS REPORTED AND CLAIMS PAID OF SOME MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
V-TPL POLICIES: CLAIMS REPORTED AND CLAIMS PAID OF SOME MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
V-P&C POLICIES: CLAIMS REPORTED AND CLAIMS PAID OF SOME MARKET LEADERS, 2009-2010
AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: LOCATION, SHAREHOLDERS AND EMPLOYEES OF MARKET LEADERS, 2010
ALLEANZA TORO S.P.A.
ARCA ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
ASSICURAZIONI GENERALI S.P.A.
ASSIMOCO - S.P.A. COMPAGNIA DI ASSICURAZIONI E RIASSICURAZIONI - MOVIMENTO COOPERATIVO
AUGUSTA ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
AVIVA ITALIA S.P.A.
AXA ASSICURAZIONI SPA
AXA MPS ASSICURAZIONI DANNI S.P.A.
CARIGE R.D. ASSICURAZIONI E RIASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
COMPAGNIA ASSICURATRICE LINEAR S.P.A.
COMPAGNIA DI ASSICURAZIONE DI MILANO S.P.A.
COMPAGNIA ITALIANA DI PREVIDENZA, ASSICURAZIONI E RIASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
DIALOGO ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
DIRECT LINE INSURANCE S.P.A.
DUOMO UNI ONE ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
ERGO ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
FATA ASSICURAZIONI DANNI S.P.A.
FONDIARIA - SAI S.P.A.
GENIALLOYD SOCIETA' PER AZIONI DI ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
GROUPAMA ASSICURAZIONI SPA
HDI ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
HELVETIA COMPAGNIA SVIZZERA D'ASSICURAZIONI SA
INA ASSITALIA S.P.A.
ITAS ISTITUTO TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE PER ASSICURAZIONI SOCIETA' MUTUA DI ASSICURAZIONI
LIGURIA SOCIETA' DI ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
NATIONALE SUISSE COMPAGNIA ITALIANA DI ASSICURAZIONI SPA
SARA ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A. ASSICURATRICE UFFICIALE DELL'AUTOMOBILE CLUB D'ITALIA
SOCIETA' CATTOLICA DI ASSICURAZIONE - SOCIETA' COOPERATIVA
SOCIETA' REALE MUTUA DI ASSICURAZIONI
SUN INSURANCE OFFICE LIMITED
TUA ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
UBI ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
UNIPOL ASSICURAZIONI S.P.A.
UNIQA PROTEZIONE SPA
VITTORIA ASSICURAZIONI SPA
ZURICH INSURANCE COMPANY LTD