- Language: English
- 630 Pages
- Published: March 2012
- Region: Global
Fundamentals of BioMEMS and Medical Microdevices
- Published: February 2006
- Region: Global
- 576 Pages
- John Wiley and Sons Ltd
The world is on the threshold of a revolution that will change medicine and how patients are treated forever.
Bringing together the creative talents of electrical, mechanical, optical and chemical engineers, materials specialists, clinical-laboratory scientists, and physicians, the science of biomedical microelectromechanical systems (bioMEMS) promises to deliver sensitive, selective, fast, low cost, less invasive, and more robust methods for diagnostics, individualized treatment, and novel drug delivery.
This book is an introduction to this multidisciplinary technology and the current state of micromedical devices in use today. The first text of its kind dedicated to bioMEMS training. Fundamentals of BioMEMS and Medical Microdevices is Suitable for a single semester course for senior and graduate-level students, or as an introduction to others interested or already working in the field.
Symbols and Units.
1. Introduction to BioMEMS.
2. Silicon Microfabrication.
3. "Soft" Fabrication Techniques.
4. Polymer Materials.
5. Microfluidic Principles.
6. Sensor Principles and Microsensors.
7. Microactuators and Drug Delivery.
8. Clinical Laboratory Medicine.
9. Micro-Total-Analysis Systems (µTAS).
10. Detection and Measurement Methods.
11. Genomics and DNA Microarrays.
12. Proteomics and Protein Microarrays.
13. Emerging BioMEMs Technology.
14. Packaging, Power, Data, and RF Safety.
15. Biocompatibility, FDA, and ISO 10993.
Appendix A: Common BioMEMS Polymers.
Appendix B: Medical Imaging.
Appendix C: FDA Blue Book Memorandum ---G95-1.
"…a clear, well-organized, well-balanced book…recommended." (CHOICE, July 2006)