- Published: December 2011
- Region: Italy
Mozzarelle in Italy - Competitive performances and market shares
- Published: April 2013
- Region: Italy
- 26 Pages
- Databank Cerved Group
This report supplies information on the competitive performances of the operators of the Mozzarelle Italian market: competitive performances by segment, market shares by segment, by distribution channel, breakdown by geographical area, production shares and export quotas by destination countries are studied in depth in this report.
- Product technology: There are two distinct techniques used for the production of mozzarella cheese:
- traditionally curdled mozzarella. Milk is curdled using rennet (lactic acid bacteria) only. Mozzarella produced by this method is eligible for Traditional Specialty Guaranteed (TSG) status according to European Union regulations, as long as several other conditions are met. These conditions include the use of separate structures for receiving and storing raw milk and the use of natural milk starter cultures prepared from fresh raw milk;
- mozzarella curdled using citric acid. milk is curdled using citric acid or a combination of rennet and citric acid.
- Purpose: Household consumption of mozzarella is widespread in Italy at both lunch and dinner. Non-household consumption is chiefly related to pizzerias.
- Client categories:
- Direct clients : supermarkets, grocery stores, cheese shops, take-away shops, delicatessens, wholesalers and street vendors;
- End clients : families, restaurants and caterers. (Industrial level customers, mainly those who use mozzarella to produce frozen pizzas, are not covered in this report).
The sector can be segmented according to:
- Type of raw material used:
- cow's milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with cow's milk;
- water buffalo milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with 100% water buffalo milk or a mixture of buffalo and cow milk. (N.B. 100% water buffalo mozzarella includes "Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP", i.e. buffalo mozzarella with Protected Designation of Origin status, as well as mozzarella made from water buffalo milk but produced outside the PDO areas).
- Mode of consumption:
- Table mozzarella which can be broken down further into:
- Pre-packaged mozzarella of a pre-determined for self-service purchasing in hermetically sealed individual packages;
- gourmet mozzarella of variable weight for full service sales, generally distributed to retailers in large, sealed containers);
- mozzarella for cooking, used as toppings on pizzas and other foods, this type is generally sold in larger packages than mozzarella intended for direct consumption; these packages normally do not contain liquid surrounding the cheese, but instead are vacuum packs or sealed paper wraps;
- Distribution channel:
- retail, also includes street vendors and producers' outlets
- restaurants and caterers, for both cooking mozzarella (generally for pizzas) and table mozzarella.
Databank’s methodology for Competitors reports begins with a careful screening to identify the main organisations that are representative of a given sector. Several one-to-one interviews are then conducted with the selected organisations. Questionnaires are sent to all the leading companies on an annual basis. The information collected is then verified by an expert in the particular sector using a system of counterchecks to guarantee that the information is entirely reliable and consistent. The process is then completed using Cerved Group’s proprietary information about Italian enterprises. All Competitors reports also include details concerning the strategies and performances of the leading companies in each sector. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Scope 5
2.2. Segments 5
3. COMPETITIVE PERFORMANCES BY SEGMENT 6
3.1. Market share 6
3.2. Share of production 18
3.3. Share of export 22
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 24
List of Tables and Graphs:
MOZZARELLA: INTERNAL MARKET VALUE (a)AND LEADING COMPANIES' MARKET SHARES, 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA: INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES (a)AND LEADING COMPANIES' MARKET SHARES, 2010-2012
TABLE MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES , 2010-2012
PRE-PACKAGED TABLE MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES, 2010-2012
GOURMET TABLE MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES, 2010-2012
TABLE MOZZARELLA FROM COW'S MILK: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES, 2010-2012
BUFFALO MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES, 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA FOR COOKING : LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF INTERNAL MARKET VOLUMES, 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA: TOTAL VALUE OF SALES AND MARKET SHARE FOR LEADING COMPANIES, 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' MARKET SHARE OF VOLUMES SOLD , 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA: LEADING COMPANIES' SHARE OF EXPORT VOLUMES, 2010-2012
MOZZARELLA: DESTINATION OF LEADING COMPANIES' EXPORTS, 2012
- A.B.C. ALLEVATORI BUFALINI CASERTANI S.c.a.
- ABIT PIEMONTE CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO
- AGRICOLA CASEARIA LUPARA S.R.L.
- ALIMENTA S.P.A.
- ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A.
- ASSEGNATARI ASSOCIATI ARBOREA S.C.
- AZIENDE AGRICOLE ASSOCIATE S.R.L.
- BAYERNLAND S.R.L.
- CAMMISA S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO ANDRIESE-BONTA’ GENUINA S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO CIRIGLIANA S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO DEL CIGNO S.P.A.
- CASEIFICIO F.LLI CAPURSO S.P.A.
- CASEIFICIO GALDI S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO LA CONTADINA DI DI MASI & C. S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO MOLISE S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO PALAZZO S.P.A.
- CASEIFICIO PREZIOSA S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO PUGLIESE F.LLI RADICCI S.P.A.
- CASEIFICIO SPINELLI F.LLI S.R.L.
- CASEIFICIO VILLA S.R.L.
- CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI FIRENZE, PISTOIA E LIVORNO S.P.A.
- CENTRALE DEL LATTE DI TORINO & C. S.P.A.
- CENTRO LATTE BRESSANONE S.c.a.
- CILENTO S.P.A.
- CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO LATTERIE FRIULANE S.c.a.
- COOPERLAT S.c.a.
- DEL GIUDICE S.R.L.
- EUROPOMELLA S.P.A.
- FATTORIE GAROFALO S.c.a.
- FRANCIA LATTICINI S.P.A.
- FUNETTA S.R.L.
- GRANAROLO S.P.A.
- GRUPPO GRIFO LATTE S.A.C.
- GRUPPO LACTALIS ITALIA S.P.A.
- INDUSTRIA ALIMENTARE PUCCIO S.R.L.
- INDUSTRIA LATTICINI G. CUOMO S.R.L.
- INDUSTRIA LATTIERO CASEARIA MANDARA S.P.A.
- LA CONTADINA SOC. COOP.
- LA MARCHESA S.c.a.
- LA PERLA DEL MEDITERRANEO S.R.L.
- LAT-BRI LATTICINI BRIANZA S.P.A.
- LATTERIA DI SOLIGO S.c.a.
- LATTERIA E CASEIFICIO MORO S.R.L.
- LATTERIA MORTARETTA FRATELLI BALLESINI NEDO E ALESSANDRO S.R.L.
- LATTICINI MOLISANI TAMBURRO S.R.L.
- MAIL S.R.L.
- NEWLAT S.R.L.
- REGINELLA D'ABRUZZO S.R.L.
- SABELLI S.P.A.
- SANGUEDOLCE S.R.L.
- SORI' ITALIA S.R.L.
- SPINOSA LUCIA S.R.L.
- TREVISANALAT S.P.A.
- VALCOLATTE S.R.L.
- VENCHIAREDO S.P.A.
- ZAPPALA' S.P.A.