• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Mozzarelle in Italy - Overview
Databank Cerved Group, May 2012, Pages: 10
This report provides an overview of the Mozzarelle Italian market and its competitors: key sector data by segment, major recent trends, supply and demand evolution and their main drivers, market leaders, operators’ policies and business strategies.
The sector can be segmented according to:
Type of raw material used
- cow's milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with cow's milk;
- water buffalo milk: fresh cheese, stretched and kneaded to a delicate consistency, made with 100% water buffalo milk or a mixture of buffalo and cow milk. (N.B. 100% water buffalo mozzarella includes "Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP", i.e. buffalo mozzarella with Protected Designation of Origin status, as well as mozzarella made from water buffalo milk but produced outside the PDO areas).
Mode of consumption
- table mozzarella, which can be broken down further into:
- pre-packaged mozzarella of a predetermined weight, for self-service purchasing in hermetically sealed individual packages
- gourmet mozzarella of variable weight for full service sales, generally distributed to retailers in large, sealed containers
- mozzarella for cooking: used as toppings on pizzas and other foods, this type is generally sold in larger packages than mozzarella intended for direct consumption; these packages normally do not contain liquid surrounding the cheese, but instead are vacuum packs or sealed paper wraps.
- retail: also includes street vendors and producers' outlets;
- restaurants and caterers: for both cooking mozzarella (generally for pizzas) and table mozzarella.
Databank’s methodology for Competitors reports begins with a careful screening to identify the main organisations that are representative of a given sector. Several one-to-one interviews are then conducted with the selected organisations. Questionnaires are sent to all the leading companies on an annual basis. The information collected is then verified by an expert in the particular sector using a system of counterchecks to guarantee that the information is entirely reliable and consistent. The process is then completed using Cerved Group’s proprietary information about Italian enterprises. All Competitors reports also include details concerning the strategies and performances of the leading companies in each sector.
Wherever no specific source is indicated, the information published in these reports can be assumed to have been taken from Cerved Group’s proprietary information bank. Coverage of any sector in Competitors products may be used in company presentations or in training courses on the subject.
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 3
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 4
2.1. Scope 4
2.2. Segments 4
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 5
3.1. Key sector data 5
3.2. Supply and demand trends 6
3.3. Market leaders 6
3.4. Business strategies 7
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 8
List of Tables and Graphs:
KEY SECTOR DATA