• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Frozen foods in Italy - Main players
Databank Cerved Group, June 2012, Pages: 23
This report supplies information on the competitors typologies of the Frozen foods Italian market: types of operators, by segment, by nationality or ownership structure, ranking of companies in terms of turnover, net income, competitive positions, breakdown by business segment, regional breakdown, are studied in depth in this report.
Product technology: Many foods can be preserved through deep freezing. In this process, foods are exposed to very low temperatures that rapidly bring the centre of the product down to -18°C. Deep freezing is distinct from simply freezing both because temperature is lower and because the time of exposure is different. Normally, deep freezing is done in one of the following ways:
- indirect contact with a refrigerant
- direct contact with a refrigerant
- circulation of cold air
The more modern deep freezing techniques include:
- Ready-made frozen stir-fry dishes. This is used not only for pasta and rice based meals, but also for foods like mashed potatoes, spinach, mixed vegetables and meals with other ingredients like ham, cheese and tomatoes. With this technique, the product has a relatively natural appearance and is therefore more appetising. However, there are sometimes drawbacks to products prepared by this method: when the consumer adds sauces (often supplied in separate packets in the packaged product), the proportions may not turn out ideal (e.g. too much sauce for the amount of pasta).
- Individual quick freezing (IQF). Frozen dishes produced by this method do not pose the same problem of mixing, as sauce is already pre-applied to the frozen food. On the other hand, the visual appearance of these products is less natural.
- Function: The main functional advantage of deep freezing is that it allows foods to be preserved and stored for rather long periods of time. Consequently, some basic foods like vegetables, fruits and fish can be kept long past their traditional season of availability on the market. Furthermore, since frozen products are generally pre-washed, often pre-cooked and in many cases only need to be heated prior to eating, this makes it fast and easy for meals to be prepared.
- Client categories: the two main categories are households (retail customers), served through both supermarkets and door-to-door sales, and caterers, restaurants and hotels (hereafter referred to as the ho.re.ca channel).
Vegetables (individual and mixed)
- French beans
- mixed vegetables for minestrone and other mixes
- other vegetables and legumes, including grilled and seasoned vegetables (e.g. courgettes, carrots, onions, etc.)
Fish and seafood
- fish filets (flounder, cod, hake, etc.)
- breaded fish, including fish sticks
- other fish and seafood: whole trout, sole fish, dogfish, cuttlefish, octopus, squid (usually pre-gutted and cleaned), mixed seafood packages, etc.
- whole or in large parts (chickens, turkeys, chicken and turkey breasts, legs and wings; rabbits and rabbit legs and others)
- breaded or floured parts of white meat
- ground meat and hamburger patties
- breaded cutlets, sliced meat, pre-cut meat for roasts
- ready-made pasta, rice and vegetable based dishes
- simple pasta/rice dishes: lasagne, linguine, trenette, pasta with beans, risottos, gnocchi, etc.
- filled pasta-based dishes: ravioli, tortellini, cannelloni, etc.)
- rice & seafood dishes
- vegetable soups
- ready-made meat and fish based dishes
- fish soup-
- white meat and vegetable stir-fry
- braised red meat
- other ready-made meals, e.g. cordon bleu
- ready-made vegetable based side dishes
- spinach and cheese dishes
- peas with tomatoes or ham
- aubergine and cheese dishes
- various potato-based dishes
- peperonata (stewed bell peppers with tomato and onion)
- bean-based dishes
Snack foods, e.g. calzones, bruschetta, mini pizzas, sandwiches, etc.
Pizza - with various toppings
- 'natural' frozen potatoes (pre-peeled, pre-boiled or dehydrated and cut for deep-frying) tater tots and hash browns
Pastries: cakes, croissants (baked or raw), doughnuts, pies, cream puffs and other desserts
Other foods: bread, various types of dough for baking, etc.
Databank’s methodology for Competitors reports begins with a careful screening to identify the main organisations that are representative of a given sector. Several one-to-one interviews are then conducted with the selected organisations. Questionnaires are sent to all the leading companies on an annual basis. The information collected is then verified by an expert in the particular sector using a system of counterchecks to guarantee that the information is entirely reliable and consistent. The process is then completed using Cerved Group’s proprietary information about Italian enterprises. All Competitors reports also include details concerning the strategies and performances of the leading companies in each sector.
Wherever no specific source is indicated, the information published in these reports can be assumed to have been taken from Cerved Group’s proprietary information bank. Coverage of any sector in Competitors products may be used in company presentations or in training courses on the subject.
LIST OF COMPANIES ANALYSED 3
1. INTRODUCTION TO METHODOLOGY 4
2. SECTOR DESCRIPTION 5
2.1. Scope 5
2.2. Segments 6
3. TYPES OF OPERATORS 8
4. RANKING OF COMPANIES 10
CONNECTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 21
List of Tables and Graphs:
FROZEN FOODS: SECTOR-SPECIFIC SALES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2009-2011
LEADING COMPANIES' BRANDS, 2012
FROZEN FOODS: TOTAL SALES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2009-2011
INCIDENCE OF SECTOR-SPECIFIC SALES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2011
BREAKDOWN OF LEADING COMPANIES' SALES IN SECTOR BY BUSINESS AREA , 2009-2011
FROZEN FOODS, RETAIL CHANNEL: LEADING COMPANIES' DIVERSIFICATION BY SEGMENT IN
TERMS OF VALUE , 2011
DIVERSIFICATION INTO OTHER SECTORS OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2012
FROZEN FOODS: LOCATION, OWNERSHIP AND EMPLOYEES OF LEADING COMPANIES, 2011
A.I.A. AGRICOLA ITALIANA ALIMENTARE S.P.A.
APPETAIS ITALIA S.P.A.
ARBI DARIO S.P.A
AZ SURGELATI S.P.A.
BOFROST* ITALIA S.P.A.
BONDUELLE ITALIA S.R.L.
C.S.I.-COMPAGNIA SURGELATI ITALIANA S.P.A.
CIAO GELATI S.R.L.
DOLCIARIA ACQUAVIVA S.P.A.
EST SURGELATI S.P.A.
FORNO DELLA ROTONDA S.P.A.
GESCO CONSORZIO COOPERATIVO SCARL
GIAS - GRUPPO INDUSTRIALE ALIMENTARI SURGELATI S.P.A.
INALCA JBS S.P.A.
INDUSTRIE ROLLI ALIMENTARI S.P.A.
KOCH DI GOJER PETER & C. SNC-O.H.G.
MANTUA SURGELATI S.P.A.
MC CAIN FOODS LIMITED (a)
NESTLÈ ITALIANA S.P.A.
OROGEL SURGELATI S.P.A.
PAN SURGELATI S.R.L.
PESCANOVA ITALIA S.R.L.
PLUSFOOD ITALIA S.P.A.
S.I.P.A. PRODOTTI ALIMENTARI S.P.A.
VIS INDUSTRIE ALIMENTARI S.P.A.