• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Lessons from the Australian NBN
Diffraction Analysis, June 2011, Pages: 17
This report by Costas Troulos entitled, "Lessons from the Australian NBN", offers an in-depth examination of the Australian NBN, complete with economic pricing modelling and replete with recommendations for governments and private players. In the midst of much curiosity and speculation about the nationwide FTTH plans in Australia, this is a must read if:
- you want to understand exactly what is happening with Australia's FTTH plans
- you want to understand the possible replicability of the Australian NBN
- you're curious as to the wholesale model adopted, it's benefits and risks.
In 2009, the Australian Federal Government launched the National Broadband Network (NBN), an ambitious infrastructure project to bring high-speed broadband to the entire country within 10 years. To make this happen, the government established a publicly-owned company, NBN Co, to design, build and operate the network. NBN Co offers an approach for expanding access to high-speed broadband that balances the social priorities of the government and the commercial realities of the telecommunications industry. Nevertheless, its strategy has often been criticized. This report explains the tradeoffs leading to the major business decisions, evaluates the commercial choices of NBN Co and critically reviews the impact of the NBN Co operation on the Australian telecommunications market.
Table of Contents
II. A modular network design
III. Minimizing construction costs
IV. Defining a flexible product set
V. A uniform national price structure
VI. Maximizing revenue potential
VII. Examining barriers to market entry
- Multicast as an effective means of IPTV delivery
VIII. Why so much public investment?
IX. Conclusions and recommendations
- Recommendations for Australia
- Recommendations for governments
- Recommendations for passive infrastructure providers
- Recommendations for incumbents and alternative providers
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.