- Language: English
- Published: May 2015
155 Legal Do's (and Don'ts) for the Small Business
- ID: 2211582
- October 1996
- 256 Pages
- John Wiley and Sons Ltd
What's legally sound and what's not for the most common problems facing today's small business owner
One of the most difficult aspects of starting and running a small business is knowing what are the requirements for compliance with the law . . . and what legal pitfalls to avoid. This user–friendly guide, written by a practicing attorney, features a format that offers helpful cross–references and quick access to 155 major legal do's and don'ts in a variety of subject areas, including international transactions, contracts, intellectual property, computers, business succession planning, and more. Included are such important topics as:
- Employment hiring aliens
- DO be sure to comply with the requirements for hiring aliens
- DON'T trip over the discrimination laws when complying with the alien hiring laws
- Litigation arbitration
- DO use an arbitration clause in your contract if the situation warrants
- DON'T allow the arbitrator to "split the award down the middle"
- Commercial transactions warranties and disclaimers
- DO limit your warranty exposure by using proper terms in your sales order forms
- DON'T indemnify against patent infringement except where it is advantageous
- Financing personal guarantys
- DO carefully consider the personal financial implications of signing a guaranty
- DON'T sign a guaranty without carefully considering the terms
- Types of businesses conversion from a corporation
- DO convert your corporation to a Limited Liability Company (LLC), if appropriate
- DON'T ignore the tax effects of a conversion from a corporation to an LLC
Types of Businesses.
Litigation and the Alternatives.
Business Succession Planning.
PAUL ADAMS is an intellectual property lawyer practicing with the firm of Peacock & Myers in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He formerly started and ran as President and CEO several high-technology companies, including Calios, Inc., a manufacturer of fiber optic data communication systems. He is actively involved in assisting new venture companies.