• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
The Best Seat in the House. My Life as a Back–up Goalie in the NHL
John Wiley and Sons Ltd, October 2012, Pages: 256
A back-up goalie's hilarious behind-the-mask look at life in the NHL
Jamie McLennan spent twenty years playing professional hockey. Sort of. As the backup for such legendary goalies as Grant Fuhr, Ron Hextall, Roberto Luongo, and Miikka Kiprusoff, he saw everything—except much playing time. In The Best Seat in the House, McLennan looks back on his unique career, from breaking into the NHL, to working with the legends, to life on the road and in the league, offering readers an unprecedented glimpse into life inside the locker room.
Filled with tales of camaraderie and crazy antics, the book covers 20 years on and off the ice—including McLennan's disastrous meeting with Gene Simmons, accidentally calling Lady Gaga a troll to her face, charging an opposing team's mascot on the orders of legendary coach Billy Smith, and even how he hid a hotdog in his gear for an in-game snack.
- A collection of hilarious, strange, and sometimes unbelievable stories about hockey, the NHL, and celebrity from throughout the career of NHL backup goalie Jamie McLennan
- A deeply personal account of life on and off the ice, packed with hilarious personal anecdotes
- Co-written with Sportsnet's Ian Mendes
The Best Seat in the House is an irreverent look at the life of a professional hockey player, on the ice, on the bench, and in the dressing room, that is sure to delight hockey fans everywhere.
Foreword by Jarome Iginla ix
Foreword by Roberto Luongo xi
1. The Early Years 1
2. Hextall, the Chicken and Other Tales from My Goalie Partners like Luongo and Kiprusoff 31
3. Pronger, Iginla and My Favorite Teammates 57
4. Al Arbour and the Brain-teaser 89
5. Life in the Blue Paint 117
6. Naked People and Crazy Stories from the Ice 159
7. Rookie Dinners and Other Stories That Should Have Landed Me in Jail 175
8. The Slashing Incident and Career Wrap-up 203
Jamie McLennan?known to many as "Noodles"?is an Edmonton-born former NHL goaltender. Jamie spent 17 years playing professional hockey, 11 of those in the NHL, playing in 245 games and dressing for over 550 games with the New York Islanders, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild, Florida Panthers and Calgary Flames organizations. Later in his career, he had a short stint in Russia and Asia before retiring and working for the Flames again as part of their coaching and player development staff. Jamie is currently an analyst for TSN and the NHL Network and sometimes writes a column in The Hockey News.
Ian Mendes has spent more than a decade as a television reporter for Sportsnet, covering the NHL and other major sporting events for the network. A graduate of Carleton University's journalism program, he is also a regular contributor to the Ottawa Citizen and Today's Parent.