• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
mobileYouth briefing: BBM, Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype or Twitter What is the future of mobile messaging?
MobileYouth, January 2013, Pages: 23
The global SMS market was worth $200 Bn in 2011. Mobile operators will lose $23 Bn in 2012 due to increased usage of mobile messenger apps like WhatsApp, BBM, Skype, Facebook and Kik driven largely by youth mobile owners. Mobile operators, handset brands and messenger app developers need to understand the key categories of youth communication behavior if they want to emerge as a leader in the overcrowded messenger app market.
This briefing explores the following key questions relevant to mobile messaging:
1. How big a threat are mobile messenger apps to operator SMS revenues?
2. Which youth demographic is driving the growth of mobile messenger apps?
3. What do youth want from mobile messenger apps?
2. Licensing and Copyrights
3. In this briefing
4. Executive summary
5. SMS has long been the biggest revenue generator for mobile operators globally
6. SMS revenues are driven by teen mobile owners
7. Overall teen SMS usage is on a decline
8. SMS usage among teen girls has peaked; teen boys and ethnic minorities will drive little future growth
9. Youth operator brands are already experiencing a drop in SMS usage among young mobile owners
10. SMS revenues have declined in major global markets in the last 3 years
11. SMS faces tough competition from several communication methods
12. Messenger apps are the biggest threat to future SMS revenues for mobile operators
13. Messenger app traffic will surpass SMS traffic in 2014
14. Teen girls will drive future growth of messenger apps
15. Teen girls are more likely to share images via mobile phones
16. Youth prefer messenger apps because it allows them to share images and video in addition to text
17. There is no clear global messenger app leader
18. 4 categories of youth communication behavior
19. Youth use SMS for Passive communication
20. Youth prefer SMS over voice because it is a Discrete network to communicate
21. The messenger app landscape is highly fragmented
22. Teens hack Instagram to find new messenger friends for mobile messenger apps like Kik
23. Need more insights and data?