- Published: October 2011
- Region: Global
Barbie Fails in the China Market: Mattel's inability to localize the Barbie brand
- Published: September 2012
- Region: China
- 20 pages
Mattel opened its largest free-standing Barbie store in Shanghai in March 2009. Shanghai did not prove receptive to the Barbie brand. Mattel closed down the store a mere two years after opening, having made continual losses. It was Mattel’s inability to localize the Barbie brand and apply a strategy based on market realities that led to the downfall of the American doll brand.
Features and benefits
- MarketLine Case Studies describe topics such as innovative products, business models, and significant company acquisitions.
- Fact-based and presented in an accessible style, they explain the rationale of commercial decisions and illustrate wider market and economic trends.
China maintains one of the most lucrative and rapidly expanding retail markets in the world. Despite the global economic downturn, China's retail sales hit $2.9tn in 2011, up 17.1% year-on-year. China's booming retail sales can be put down to the steady rise in household incomes.
Mattel’s choice to open a single superstore Barbie outlet on an exclusive shopping street, as opposed to numerous cross-country, mall-located outlets, was a major contributor to the store's losses.
The "experience store" format proved unsuccessful and did not resonate well with the majority of the Chinese consumer market. The hope that an organic buying approach would emerge from the use of on-site facilities never materialized.
Your key questions answered
- What should you consider when preparing to enter the Chinese retail market?
- Is it necessary to localize your brand when entering a new market? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
The birth of the Barbie brand
Mattel's global expansion strategies
The Middle East
The Shanghai opening
The appeal of China
Mattel's China strategy
Why Barbie failed in the China market
Experience store model
Considerations for entering the China retail market
Understanding local requirements
Investigating the market
Considering the product
Mattel's inability to localize the Barbie brand led to its Chinese demise
Ask the analyst