- Language: English
- 296 Pages
- Published: December 2011
- Region: Global
Handbook of Adolescent Psychology. Contextual Influences on Adolescent Development. 3rd Edition
- Published: April 2009
- Region: Global
- 706 Pages
- John Wiley and Sons Ltd
The study of and interest in adolescence in the field of psychology and related fields continues to grow, necessitating an expanded revision of this seminal work. This multidisciplinary handbook, edited by the premier scholars in the field, Richard Lerner and Laurence Steinberg, and with contributions from the leading researchers, reflects the latest empirical work and growth in the field.
Part I. Interpersonal Influences.
1. Parent-Child Relationships during Adolescence (Brett Laursen and W. Andrew Collins).
2. Adolescents' Relationships with Siblings (Patricia East).
3. Peer Relationships in Adolescence (B. Bradford Brown and James Larson).
4. Romantic Relationships in Adolescence (Jennifer A. Connolly and Caroline McIsaac).
5. Mentoring in Adolescence (Jean E. Rhodes and Sarah Ryan Lowe).
Part II. Institutional Influences.
6. Schooling Adolescents (Richard F. Elmore).
7. Adolescent Out-of-school Activities (Joseph Mahoney, Deborah Vandell, Sandra Simpkins, and Nicole Zarrett).
8. Adolescents and the World of Work (Jeremy Staff, Emily E. Messersmith, and John E. Schulenberg).
9. Adolescence, Adolescents, and Media (Don F. Roberts, Lisa Henriksen, and Ulla G. Foehr).
10. The Legal Regulation of Adolescence (Jennifer L. Woolard and Elizabeth S. Scott).
11. The Development of Citizenship (Lonnie R. Sherrod and James Lauckhardt).
Part III. The Broader Context Of Adolescence.
12. Neighborhood Influences on Adolescent Development (Tama Leventhal, Véronique Dupéré, and Jeanne Brooks-Gunn).
13. Poverty and Socioeconomic Disadvantage in Adolescence (Vonnie C. McLoyd, Rachel Kaplan, Kelly M. Purtell, Erika Bagley, Cecily R. Hardaway, and Ciara Smalls).
14. The Transition to Adulthood: Challenges of Poverty and Structural Lag (Stephen F. Hamilton and Mary Agnes Hamilton).
15. Ethnicity and Immigration (Andrew Fuligni, Diane L. Hughes, and Niobe Way).
16. Cross-Cultural Issues in the Study of Adolescent Development (Alice Schlegel).
17. Globalization, Societal Change, and Adolescence across the World (Reed Larson, Suzanne Wilson, and Aimee Rickman).
18. A Shared Commitment to Youth: The Integration of Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy (Aida B. Balsano, Christina Theokas, and Deborah L. Bobek).
Richard M. Lerner Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science at the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development at Tufts University, Medford, MA.
Laurence Steinberg, PhD Laura H. Carnell Professor of Psychology at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA?and Director of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Adolescent Development and Juvenile Justice.