Mobile and Social Commerce of growing Importance in South Korean B2C E-Commerce
“South Korea B2C E-Commerce Report 2013” examines information about South Korean B2C E-Commerce. The report analyzes trends, revenues, the share of B2C E-Commerce on total retail sales, product categories, Internet users and Internet shoppers, as well as leading players.
In 2012, more than three quarters of inhabitants in South Korea used the Internet, with the age groups between 10 and 40 years reaching particularly high Internet user penetrations. These age groups also featured the highest Internet shopper penetration figures.
Smartphones for the first Time used more often than Notebooks to shop Online in South Korea
After double-digit growth rates in recent years, B2C E-Commerce sales in South Korea reached more than 10 billion EUR. Generally, especially much money is spent buying travel arrangements and reservations as well as clothing and fashion-related goods. Furthermore, more online purchases were conducted using smartphones than using notebooks in South Korea. Besides Mobile Commerce, Social Commerce is also a growing trend in South Korean online retail. Already more than a fifth of Internet users aged 20 to 29 years shop online in this manner.
Mass Merchants and Online Retailers of Clothing and Accessories have high Unique Visitor Numbers in South Korea
Leading companies and websites in South Korean B2C E-Commerce with regard to the number of unique visitors in 2012 were Gmarket, 11st, Shopping.Naver, Interpark, and Cjmall, all of which are mass merchants. On sixth place another mass merchant called Lotte follows, which allows its customers to pick up goods ordered online themselves, using the so-called SmartPick Service. Besides mass merchants, clothing and accessories online retailers are also visited by many Internet users. Examples for this are Player, Vanillamint, and Ogage.
According to the “South Korea B2C E-Commerce Report 2013”, average online spending of Internet users in South Korea continues to increase by low double-digit percentages. Another development is the increasing use of smartphones to shop online with.
- These market reports inform top managers about recent market trends and assist with strategic company decisions
- The authors provide secondary market research: By using various sources of information they ensure maximum objectivity for all obtained data. As a result companies get a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
- The analyses, statistical reports and forecasts are only based on reliable sources including national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and company databases, journals, company registries and news portals.
- The author's international employees research and filter all sources and translate relevant information into English. This ensures that the content of the original studies is correctly interpreted.
- All research results delivered as PowerPoint files. All data can therefore be used directly for board presentations or be individually adapted.
*For sample page request please contact our customer service team
* Please Note - the site license and global site license prices for this report are restricted to ten users each, in line with the suppliers pricing options. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. Management Summary
- Internet Usage and B2C E-Commerce Trends in South Korea, 2011/2012
- Internet Activities in South Korea, in % of Internet Users, 2011
- Online Shopping in South Korea, by Device, in % of Online Shoppers, 2011
- Payment Methods in B2C E-Commerce in South Korea, in %, Q2 2011, Q1 2012 & Q2 2012
- B2C E-Commerce Delivery Trends in South Korea, 2012 and used Delivery Services for B2C E-Commerce Orders, in %, Q1 2011, Q2 2011, Q1 2012 & Q2 2012
- Average B2C E-Commerce Spending per Internet User in South Korea, in USD, 2008-2012f
- Online Gaming Market in South Korea, in KRW trillion, 2008 & 2012f
- Mobile Gaming Market in South Korea, in KRW billion, 2011f & 2015f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales in South Korea, in KRW trillion, 2008-2011
- Share of B2C E-Commerce Sales in South Korea on Global B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2010-2016f
- Share of B2C E-Commerce Sales on total Retail Sales in South Korea, in %, 2008-2011
- E-Commerce Sales in South Korea, by Product Category, in KRW billion and in %, 2010 & 2011
- E-Commerce Sales in South Korea, by Product Category, in KRW bil. and in %, Q2 2011, Q1 2012 & Q2 2012
- Purchased Social Commerce Product Categories in South Korea, in % of Social Commerce Users, 2011
6. Users / Shoppers
- Internet Users in South Korea, in millions and in % of Country Population, 2000-2011
- Breakdown of Internet Users in South Korea, by Gender, in %, 2011 and Internet User Penetration, by Gender, in %, 2010 & 2011
- Breakdown of Internet Users in South Korea, by Age Group, in %, 2011 and Internet User Penetration, by Age Group, in %, 2010 & 2011
- Broadband Subscribers in South Korea, in millions, 2007-2012f
- Broadband Subscribers per 100 Inhabitants in South Korea compared to Germany, USA and the OECD Average, 2006-2011
- Broadband Subscribers in South Korea, by Access Technology, compared to the OECD Average in %, 2011
- Social Commerce Penetration in South Korea, by Age Group, in % of Internet Users, 2011
- Online Shoppers in South Korea, by Gender and Age, in % of Internet Users, 2011
- Top 30 B2C E-Commerce Websites in South Korea, ranked by Unique Visitors (Users) from South Korea, May 2012
- Profile of Gmarket.co.kr
- Profile of 11st.co.kr
- Profile of Lotte.com