- Only reference work covering museums worldwide
- User friendly and clearly structured
- All information at a glance: museum's name, address and contact details, type of museum, field of interest and special departments
- First-hand information through extensive mailing of questionnaires
Aims and Scope
- In its 20th edition Museums of the World covers more than 55,000 museums in 202 countries, listed hierarchically by country and place, and within places alphabetically by name. A separate chapter records some 500 museum associations in 132 countries.
- Each museum has been assigned to one or more of 22 categories identifying the type and focus of the museum.
- A typical entry contains the following details:
- Name of the museum in the original language with an English translation when necessary
- Address, phone and fax numbers
- E-mail address and URL
- Type of museum
- Year of foundation
- Head of museum
- Academic staff
- Collections and facilities
An alphabetical index of museums, an index of persons covering directors, presidents, curators and academic staff of the museums, a personality index recording artists whose works are shown predominantly in a specific museum and/or referring to memorabilia of famous individuals, and a subject index facilitate the access to the data.