- Language: English
- Published: May 2014
- Region: Hungary
Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker and Analysis 2014
- Published: May 2014
- Region: Africa
- Tariff Consultancy
The second edition of the Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker aimed at the fast growing African Mobile segment covers mobile pricing in 37 African countries. It surveys pricing from a total of 74 MNOs in 37 countries across Africa and includes 577 price plans in total – of which 348 are Post Paid contracts and 160 are Pre Paid services in addition to detailed pricing for international calling, roaming and mobile broadband services.
The Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker 2014 uses the database and analysis perfected by the author in the Mobile Broadband and Voice & 3G Smartphone Tariff Tracker subscription services which also includes selected pricing from African MNOs.
This service provides a more detailed in depth survey of the African mobile market and tracks in detail for voice and data mobile services
The Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker offers a unique insight into the pricing strategies of more than 70 MNOs in one of the most dynamic markets in the world based on rigorous analysis from the analysts. The key benefit is that you have easy access to a wealth of information in once source and allowing you to extract as you like and produce your own tables and charts.
- Post- and prepaid domestic voice, SMS, Mobile Data, 3G & Smartphone services
- International calling rates from the African MNO to 7 international destinations
- Roaming pricing from 3 international destinations
- Mobile Broadband tariffs for both post- and prepaid services
- A Database (pricing is shown in local currency and in USD ($) allowing for easy like-for-like comparisons)
- Price comparisons for each service covered published in a 27-page report
- Customer Support
Special offer: Any one that signs up to the 2nd edition of the Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker will also receive a complimentary copy of the Mobile Africa SnapShot. The offer is valid until the end of June 2014. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Mobile Africa Tracker reveals that average postpaid pricing in Africa is down to USD 36.77 per month (previous year: USD 43.12)
The author has launched the second edition of the Tariff Tracker aimed at the fast growing African Mobile segment.
Called Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker, the service surveys pricing from a total of 74 MNOs in 37 countries across Africa and includes 577 price plans in total – of which 358 are postpaid contracts.
The Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker 2014 uses the database and analysis perfected by the author in the Mobile Broadband and Voice & 3/4G Smartphone Tariff Tracker subscription services which also includes selected pricing from African MNOs.
This service provides a more detailed in depth survey of the African mobile market and tracks in detail the following four main tariff types:
i) Post- and prepaid domestic voice, SMS, Mobile Data, 3/4G & Smartphone services
ii) International calling rates from the African MNO to 7 international destinations.
iii) Roaming pricing from 3 international destinations (UK, USA and South Africa)
iv) Mobile Broadband tariffs for both Post Paid and Pre Paid services
(All pricing is shown in the survey is either in local currency and in USD.)
Using the unique pricing database, the Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker 2014 survey has identified 10 key post- and prepaid price trends across the African mobile market as follows:
- Average postpaid pricing in Africa is USD 36.77 (previous year: USD 43.12) per month - But within this average there are a wide spread of price plans available which range from below USD 1 per month to above USD 100 USD per month (a total of 27), with the highest plan charged at USD 293 including 5,000 minutes, 100 SMS and 1 GB of data.
- Mobile Broadband & Mobile Data in some countries are now substitutes for fixed line Broadband in Africa– African Mobile Broadband and Mobile Data user allowances being as high as 150 GB per month, with the high mobile data usage allowances charged at a premium. The lowest inclusive allowance is 3 MB and the average inside the bundle price is The average taking all offers into account except those that offer unlimited usage brings the per inside the bundle per 1 GB price to USD 25.68.
- Plans inclusive of minutes are becoming more popular in Africa – over half of the plans i.e. 199 plans, offer inclusive minutes ranging from 1 minute to 1,500 minutes per month with an average of 552 minutes. Some operators in Rwanda, South Africa and Sudan offer unlimited minutes with other operators offering unlimited on-net minutes.
- Plans inclusive of SMS are included in over half of the African postpaid plans which range from as low as 5 (previous year 8) up to 10,000 SMS per month with some operators now offering unlimited SMS.
- Plans inclusive of data now account for 135 out of the 358 plans covered With mobile Data bundle allowances ranging from 5 MB up to 10 GB per month, a trend which is accelerating with the introduction of more high speed HSPA networks.
- The most common postpaid plan including voice and data now a 500 MB user allowance per month – But some 33 per cent (previous update: 24 per cent) of African Mobile Data Post Paid plans have a 1 GB or over Mobile Data allowance per month.
- Prepaid call rates in Africa vary widely – Pre Paid domestic call rates in Africa range from USD 0.016 up to USD 0.44 per minute. Rates vary according to the recharge amount and the time of day called.
- Prepaid SMS rates in Africa also vary widely – Pre Paid domestic SMS rates also vary in Africa and range up to $0.14 USD per SMS, with the average SMS rate across Africa being USD 0.051 per SMS.
- International communication, both roaming and calling abroad, become more attractive as discounting is introduced, with still only a few operators including bundles minutes into a plan.
- African MNOs are introducing a variety of user incentives to differentiate their services. These include the bundling of free or partially subsidised devices, discounts according to call duration, discounts for “on-net” calls, free “on-net” calls and discounts for specific “on-net” calls to pre-registered numbers.
The Mobile Africa Tracker 2014 provides a detailed survey of the key pricing metrics based on current available MNO services in Africa. The survey metrics used in the report are:
- Per Minute call rates – including for “on-net” or “off-net” calls if applicable
- Per Minute call rates including for “peak” or “off-peak” calls if applicable
- SMS rates - including for “on-net” or “off-net” SMS if applicable
- International roaming rates – from 3 key international destinations back to Africa (USA, South Africa, UK).
- International call rates – from Africa to 7 key international destinations
- Mobile Broadband tariffs – including African post- & prepaid pricing for use with a USB flash modem (dongle) device
In short, the Mobile Africa Tariff Tracker offers a unique insight into the pricing strategies of more than 70 MNOs in one of the most dynamic markets in the world based on rigorous analysis from the author.
- Burkino Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Cote D'ivoire
- Guinea Bissau
- South Africa