- Language: English
- 26 Pages
- Published: July 2013
Global Roaming Tariff Tracker
- ID: 3042934
- November 2014
- Region: Global
- Tariff Consultancy
The Global Roaming Tariff Tracker is a subscription service published 4 times a year (January, April, July & October) and provides an excel-based database of voice, SMS & mobile data roaming from 90 MNOs worldwide in 64 countries updated every quarter.
Pricing is shown in local currencies, USD and Euro. With each edition the author provides a PDF summary of new roaming products and pricing since the last quarter period.
Roaming prices have confronted criticism in recent years and are undergoing significant changes at this present time. The European Commission has imposed regulation to the pricing of voice roaming charges and it saw the introduction of capped wholesale and retail voice prices for calls made within the EU on 30th August 2007, followed by capped SMS prices in July 2009 and wholesale and retail data prices also with further prices changes each year thereafter including SMS.
Roaming especially in the consumer market has been perceived as complex and expensive, despite operators having moved to attractive on-net pricing and easier-to-understand pricing structures, roaming prices often still hit the headlines with users especially when using data, receive invoices of high amounts.
Findings reveal that offerings have increased through the launch of bundles and special schemes for both voice and data services. Both voice and data calls price changes have been mainly downward with some operators increasing rates to non-European destinations. Operators continue to seek to introduce innovative offers to help for the compensation of the potential loss in revenue from the imposed regulation.
Services (both postpaid and prepaid) and prices covered include:
Default (standard roaming) prices for:
- Calling back home
- Calling within a country
- Receiving a call
- Sending an SMS
- Accessing the Internet
- Details of Zoning
Pricing details of bundled offerings:
- Voice Bundles: (Cost, Validity, inclusive allowance, inside and outside the bundle price and comments)
- Data Bundles: (Cost, Validity, inclusive allowance, inside and outside the bundle price and comments)
- Integrated Bundles: (Cost, Validity, inclusive allowances (Voice, SMS, Data) and comments)
Key highlights include:
- 86 Service Providers across 60 countries, and continuously adding
- Default Voice and data tariffs plus the bundled offers available all presented in Excel in local currency, Euros and US Dollars.
- Easy comparison by type of bundle, cost per bundle, cost per minute, cost per SMS etc.
- Trends & Analysis Report with tables and charts sent out with each quarterly update.
Who should subscribe to this service
- Mobile, Wireless Internet and Satellite Providers and Operators
- Software and Equipment Vendors
- Supplier organisations
- Regulatory Bodies
- Investors, Venture Capital Companies, Financial Service Companies
Deliverables: 4 issues (in Excel) per annum & 4 summary reports
Coverage: 86 operators in 60 countries
Special Promotion valid until 15th December 2014:
Any orders placed for the Global Roaming Tariff Tracker will also receive a complimentary copy of the three published Tariff Trends to-date, see below:
- Tariff Trends SnapShot Issue Number 1 - Roaming
- Tariff Trends SnapShot Issue Number 19 (update on roaming trends)
- Tariff Trends SnapShot Issue Number 33 Latest on Roaming and IDD bundles SHOW LESS READ MORE >
The latest edition of the Global Roaming Tariff Tracker subscription service finds a steady increase in the size of mobile data roaming packages combined with a fall in average package pricing offered by MNOs worldwide. From the survey there are now more than double the number of Data Roaming Packs than Voice Roaming packs.
By contrast, MNOs have increased the average price of their voice roaming packs and have reduced the average number of call minutes available per pack since the last edition of the Global Roaming Tariff Tracker published in July 2014.
The increase in average Data Roaming allowances and the reduction in average pricing reflects the introduction of a range of new Data Roaming packages spurred on by a rapid increase in data roaming usage.
For example, H3G Denmark has reported that roaming usage to selected 3Like Home countries has increased by up to 5,000 per cent, since the launch of the service in March 2014 and Swisscom (Switzerland) has reported a three times increase in Mega-Bytes (MB) used in its data roaming packages in 2014 when compared with 2013.
The latest edition of the Global Roaming Tariff Tracker has identified the following trends in roaming services:
- Regulators continue to abolish roaming charges in selected countries – After the lead of the European Union (EU), who has abolished European roaming from the end of December 2015, other regions have followed suit:
i) Balkan countries (including Albania, Bulgaria. Macedonia, Serbia & Bosnia Herzegovina) - are to abolish roaming charges from January 2015.
ii) West African countries (including Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan & Uganda) - are to establish the “One Area Network” – which is also to abolish roaming – by the end of 2014.
- More high-end post pay tariffs now include a roaming bundle – A growing number of MNOs are including a roaming allowance to selected countries with their premium Post Pay tariff. For example:
i) Orange (Switzerland) - has revised its “Orange Me” tariff to include unlimited mobile data, SMS & call roaming inEurope for CHF 85 (Euro 70) per month.
ii) sosh (France, the low cost brand of Orange) - now includes roaming services in Europe & North America over 365 days for its Euro 24.99 per month plan.
- More inclusive roaming tariffs are being introduced – More MNOs are offering a “Like Home” service, which allows users to use their domestic allowance of calls, SMS & mobile data, particularly in Europe with the regulator-inspired reduction in EU roaming pricing. Examples of new inclusive roaming tariffs include:
i) H3G (Denmark) - has extended its “3Like Home” service to include inclusive roaming in France, Germany, Norway & Switzerland - it already includes inclusive roaming in Sweden, Austria, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy & the UK.
ii) Vodafone (Germany) - has introduced “EasyTravel Europa” which allows a Vodafone RED tariff user to use the call, SMS & mobile data allowances in the EU,Switzerland &Turkey for a monthly fee of Euro 4.99 per month.
- New Data Roaming packs are being introduced as add-on services – A number of MNOs continue to introduce new Data Roaming packages over the last quarter period. Examples of new packages include:
i) TIM (Italy) - has modified its weekly Viaggio Pass tariff pack, which offers 600 minutes (split equally between incoming & outgoing minutes), 300 SMS & 300 MB (to the EU & the USA) for Euro 15 per week.
ii) Globe Telecom (Philippines) - has expanded its flat rate P599 (Euro 10.51) daily tariff to a total of 75 countries worldwide (up from 35 countries) available for Post Pay users.
iii) Etisalat (UAE) - has introduced a Global Data Plan with 1 GB of roaming data and unlimited eWi-Fi roaming (including a 10 GB domestic allowance) for AED 500 (Euro 107) per month.
- Promotional roaming packs are being introduced for specific events – Middle Eastern MNOs over the last quarter have introduced a roaming package to coincide with the annual Hajj pilgrimage inSaudi Arabia. Examples of promotional roaming services include:
i) Zain (Jordan) – has introduced a Hajj roaming bundle using the Zain Saudi Arabia network, including unlimited data & 100 minutes for JOD 10 (Euro 11.1).
ii) Omantel (Oman) - has introduced “Hajj Jawazak” roaming bundles, including a Mada Post Pay roaming bundle of 100 minutes, 50 SMS & 1 GB of mobile data for a 10 day period for OMD 10 (Euro 20.4),
iii) Etisalat (UAE) – has introduced “Hajj and Omra” roaming bundles, including a roaming bundle of 200 minutes & 1 GB of mobile data for a 2 week period for AED 250 (Euro 53.4),
The Global Roaming Tariff Tracker analyses the roaming packages provided by 90 MNOs in 64 countries worldwide - and finds that 168 voice roaming packages and 409 data roaming packages are being offered as of October 2014. The Tracker also finds that:
- Voice roaming packages - are being offered at an average cost of Euro 23.19 per month with an average bundle of 134 minutes per pack - an increase from Euro 21.04 per month with an average bundle of 139 minutes per pack.
- Data roaming packages - are being offered at an average cost of Euro 0.72 per MB with an average bundle of 249 MB per pack – and has increased from 233 MB per pack, at an average cost of Euro 0.78 per MB.
Overall, MNO voice roaming packages remain relatively limited with the average size of packages, as measured by the number of minutes, declining quarter on quarter, and the average cost per pack is increasing.
MNO data roaming packages are increasing the average bundle, as measured by the number of MB, increasing quarter on quarter, and the average cost per pack is declining.