Global Pay TV Middleware Market - 2014 Edition
- ID: 3049688
- November 2014
- Region: Global
- 129 pages
- Frost & Sullivan
This global pay TV middleware market study discusses the drivers and restraints to growth, market trends, and technology trends. Global and regional forecasts are also included, along with pricing trends. The base year is 2013 and the forecast period runs to 2020. The market is divided into 3 regions: NALA, EMEA, and APAC, and split into 4 broad segments: IPTV, Cable, DTH, and DTT. In-depth analyses of each segment, along with revenue forecast per region for each segment are included. The research service also features a competitive landscape of all major market vendors.
- The pay TV industry is undergoing a period of transformation, as an insatiable demand for online viewing on connected devices makes unified TV Everywhere service offerings a prerequisite for service providers.
- Constant subscriber churn prompts service providers to provide on-demand, interactive services to differentiate themselves in an extremely price sensitive market. The threat from over-the-top (OTT) services adds to the challenges. Improving broadband connectivity and the high penetration of OTT streaming services have forced service providers to reinvent themselves to stay relevant.
- The overall pay TV middleware market is fragmented, with pay TV infrastructure vendors and end-to-end turnkey solution providers dominating a large part of the market. Pure-play middleware vendors explore greenfield opportunities in emerging markets, as digitization in parts of East Africa, China, and India offer high unit growth potential.
- The North America, Latin America (NALA) and Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) regions constitute over a third of the total market revenue, but Asia-Pacific is expected to grow the fastest due to the high uptake of pay TV services in its IPTV and cable segments.
- The total pay TV middleware market was estimated at $ million in 2013, and is expected to grow to X$ billion in 2020 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of X%. IPTV comprises almost half the revenue, while cable makes up about a third of the total market.
- The market continues to witness a flurry of acquisitions, with system integrators and hardware manufacturers acquiring middleware companies to leverage the high growth potential in consumer-based multi-screen video delivery services. The recent acquisitions of Conax by Kudelski Group (NAGRA), and NDS by Cisco Systems are a testament to the growing synergies in the pay TV industry.
- An emergence of hybrid models, evidenced by the large number of deployments in cable + IPTV, satellite + IPTV, and terrestrial + IPTV, is expected to drive market growth in the short term. An emerging trend of bundling OTT services with existing pay TV models further drives the need for interactive middleware on secondary screens.
- As the maket follows the trend of unbundling and self-selected consumption models, personalization of content and value added services would determine the future of pay TV middleware.
Market Overview—Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the pay TV middleware market growing? How long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
How is the market structured? Will the companies or products/services continue to exist or will they be acquired by other companies? Will they become a part of other complementary markets?
What are the implications of Comcast’s reference design kit (RDK) on existing partnerships and business models? How is the market reacting to the RDK?
What are the pricing models? How are emerging trends affecting the existing pricing models?
What are the technical trends shaping the marketplace? How do they affect future product offerings?
What are the key market and regional trends? How does digitization affect market growth? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- CEO’s Perspective
2. Market Overview
- Market Definitions
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
- Market Overview—Definitions
- Frequently Used Terms
- Market Overview—Regions Covered
- Market Overview—Key Terminologies and Acronyms
- Regional Market Life Cycle Analysis—Discussion
- Market Overview—Key Questions This Study Will Answer
3. Drivers and Restraints—Total Pay TV Middleware Market
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
4. Forecast and Trends—Total Pay TV Middleware Market
- Forecast Assumptions
- Total Pay TV Middleware Market—Revenue Forecast
- Revenue Forecast Discussion
- Pricing Trends Discussion
- Total Pay TV Middleware Market—Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- Total Pay TV Middleware Market—Percent Breakdown by Application Segment
- NALA Pay TV Middleware Market—Revenue Forecast
- EMEA Pay TV Middleware Market—Revenue Forecast
- APAC Pay TV Middleware Market—Revenue Forecast
- Market Distribution Channels
- Market Distribution Channel Discussion
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis— Total Pay TV Middleware Market
- Market Share
- Competitive Environment
- Top Competitors
- Key Industry Participants
- Competitive Landscape
- Competitive Factors and Assessment
- Market Leader—Cisco Systems
6. IPTV Segment Analysis
- IPTV Segment Key Findings
- IPTV Segment—Market Engineering Measurements
- IPTV Segment—Revenue Forecast
- IPTV Segment—Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- IPTV Segment—Revenue Forecast by Region
- IPTV Segment—Revenue Forecast Discussion
- IPTV Segment—Market Share
- IPTV Segment—Competitive Environment
7. Cable Segment Analysis
- Cable Segment Key Findings
- Cable Segment—Market Engineering Measurements
- Cable Segment—Revenue Forecast
- Cable Segment—Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- Cable Segment—Revenue Forecast by Region
- Cable Segment—Revenue Forecast Discussion
- Cable Segment—Market Share
- Cable Segment—Competitive Environment
8. DTH Segment Analysis
- DTH Segment Key Findings
- DTH Segment—Market Engineering Measurements
- DTH Segment— Revenue Forecast
- DTH Segment—Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- DTH Segment—Revenue Forecast by Region
- DTH Segment—Revenue Forecast Discussion
- DTH Segment—Market Share
- DTH Segment—Competitive Environment
9. DTT Segment Analysis
- DTT Segment Key Findings
- DTT Segment—Market Engineering Measurements
- DTT Segment—Revenue Forecast
- DTT Segment—Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- DTT Segment—Revenue Forecast by Region
- DTT Segment—Revenue Forecast Discussion
- DTT Segment—Market Share
- DTT Segment—Competitive Environment
10. Technology and Market Trends—Total Pay TV Middleware Market
- DVR and VOD Prompt the Beginning of New On-Demand Consumption Models in Pay TV
- Pay TV Industry Moves toward Open Standards to Facilitate Hybrid TV
- Analytics & Advertising Will Underpin New Business Models to Drive Personalized TV Services
- Emergence of Comcast RDK
- Evolution of Cloud Pay TV Infrastructure
11. Hot Company Watchlist
- Hot Company Watchlist—Wyplay
12. The Last Word
- The Last Word—Predictions
- The Last Word—Recommendations
- Legal Disclaimer
- Market Engineering Methodology
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Additional Sources of Information on the Global Pay TV Middleware Market
- Partial List of Companies Interviewed
- List of Exhibits