Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
- ID: 3250527
- May 2015
- Region: United Kingdom
- 87 Pages
- AMA Research
This is the 8th edition of the report 'Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report – UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed review of the domestic market and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market size, structure, recent developments and forecasts to 2019.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix and sector trends:
- Hard landscaping - Paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking, aggregates etc.
- Garden decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative products and external lighting.
- Soft landscaping - including bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
This market is highly dependent on the weather as well as the economic conditions. Historically, the gardening industry has coped well with economic downturns and not suffered as badly as some other sectors. However, the length and severity of the latest economic downturn did appear to negatively impact on the market, particularly in the hard landscaping sector, although economic prospects and garden product demand are now improving and the market saw strong growth during 2014.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance in 2010-2014.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics (eg: weather, consumer confidence & spending, housebuilding, product trends).
- Product group analysis – sector market sizes, product mix, influences, trends and forecasts.
- Review of key suppliers for different product categories – key players, product profiles, market positioning, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution structure – key channels - garden centres, DIY multiples, builders merchants, Internet, and grocery multiples etc.
- Forecast of market performance to 2019
Key areas covered in the report include:
1. Market Overview
- Domestic garden landscaping materials market – market definition in terms of product categories included – share mix between hard, soft landscaping and decorative products.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2009-2014, key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the market - including consumer confidence & spending, performance of housebuilding/housemoving sector, continued interest in ‘grow-your-own’, attitudes towards gardens, longer term demographics.
- Market forecasts – market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2019.
- Product groups reviewed:
- Hard Landscaping - including paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking and aggregates, etc..
- Garden Decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative products and external lighting
- Soft Landscaping - bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
- Estimated shares in 2014 of main product groups within each sector.
- Product groups – definition, market size 2009-2014 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including trends and factors affecting sector.
3. Supply And Distribution
- Overview of supply structure – evolving market influenced by consumer shopping behavior - complex structure with various product segments within each major sector having a variety of distribution channels.
- Key suppliers by product group – major players, product profiles, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution channels – estimated shares of channels including Garden Centres, DIY multiples, Builders Merchants, Internet/mail order, Independents, Grocery Multiples etc – growth of Internet.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
4. Future Prospects
- Forecast of market developments from 2015 to 2019.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market – performance of UK economy, housebuilding, consumer confidence & spending.
- Outlook for the domestic landscaping materials market through to 2019 – growth prospects etc. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1.2 Sources of Information
2. Summary and Future Prospects
2.2 Future Prospects
3. Economic Environment
3.2 Inflation & Interest Rates
3.4 Household Consumption
3.5 Housing & Construction
3.7 Population Profile
4. Domestic Garden Landscaping Market
4.2 Overall Landscaping Market
4.3 Market Size
4.4 Sector Mix
4.5 Product Mix
4.6 Key Market Influences
4.6.1 Consumer Characteristics
4.6.2 the Housing Market
4.6.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions
4.6.4 Housing Transactions
4.6.5 Other Influences
5. Hard Landscaping Products
5.2 Market Size
5.3 Mix of Products in Domestic Hard Landscaping Materials Market
5.4 Paving and Walling
5.4.1 Market Size
5.4.2 Key Suppliers of Paving and Walling Products
5.5 Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures
5.5.1 Market Size
5.5.2 Product Mix of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures
5.5.3 Key Suppliers of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures
5.6 Domestic Decking
5.6.1 Market Size
5.6.2 Supply and Distribution of Decking
5.7.1 Market Size
5.7.2 Key Suppliers
6 Garden Decoration Products
6.1 Market Definition
6.2 Market Size
6.3 Product Mix
6.4 Pots and Planters
6.4.1 Market Size
6.4.2 Key Suppliers of Pots and Planters
6.5 Water Features and Decorative Products
6.5.1 Market Size
6.5.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Decoration Products
6.6 Garden Lighting
6.6.1 Market Size
6.6.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Lighting
7. Horticultural Products Market
7.2 Market Size
7.3 Product Mix
7.3.1 Nursery Stock and Bedding Plants
7.3.2 Bulbs and Seeds
7.4 Key Suppliers of Horticultural Products
7.5 International Trade
8.1 Distribution Structure
8.2 Role of the Wholesalers / Distributors
8.3 Distribution Shares
8.3.1 Garden Centres
8.3.2 Diy Multiples
8.3.3 Builders Merchants
8.3.4 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue Stores
8.3.5 Other Channels
Tables and Charts
Chart 1 UK Market For Domestic Landscaping Materials, 2009-2019 – by Value (£M at MSP)
Table 2 Gdp Data – 2012-2014 – Key Constituent Elements
Chart 3 Interest Rates and Inflation (Cpi) From 2000-2019
Chart 4 Pdi & Savings Ratio at Current Prices 2000-2019
Table 5 Exchange Rate Fluctuations 2009-2015 - Sterling to the Dollar, and the Euro, Spot Rates
Chart 6 Domestic/Non-Domestic Mix of UK Landscaping Materials Market, 2014 - % by Value
Table 7 UK Domestic Landscaping Materials Market 2009-2019 – by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 8 Sector Mix Within the UK Landscaping Market – Hard Landscaping, Horticultural and Garden Decorative Products, 2014 - % by Value
Chart 9 UK Domestic Landscaping Materials Market Product Mix, 2014 - % by Value – Decking, Paving & Walling, Fencing, Plants, Water Features Etc
Chart 10 Age Distribution of the Resident UK Population Mid 2013 (‘000)
Table 11 House Building Completions – Great Britain 2009 - 2015 by Volume (‘000 Dwellings)
Chart 12 Housebuilding Completions in England - % Mix by Type of Dwelling (Houses/Flats) 2001-2014
Table 13 Number of UK Residential Property Transactions 2009-2015 (‘000S)
Table 14 UK Domestic Hard Landscaping Market Size and Forecasts 2009-2019 – by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 15 Product Mix - Domestic Hard Landscaping Market, 2014 (% by Value) – Decking, Paving & Walling, Aggregates, Fencing / Trellis Etc
Table 16 UK Domestic Paving & Walling Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Table 17 UK Domestic Fencing & Trellis Market 2009-2014 by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 18 Product Mix of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures 2014 (By Value)
Table 19 UK Domestic Decking Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Table 20 UK Domestic Aggregates & Artificial Grass Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 21 UK Market Size and Forecasts For Domestic Garden Decoration Products - 2009-2019 by Value (£M at MSP)
Chart 22 Mix of UK Garden Decoration Products, 2014 – % by Value (£M) – Pots /Planters, Water Features, Lighting.
Table 23 UK Domestic Pots and Planters Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 24 UK Market For Domestic Water Features & Decorative Products 2009-2014 – by Value (£M at MSP)
Chart 25 UK Market For Domestic Garden Lighting 2009-2014 – by Value (£M at MSP)
Table 26 UK Domestic Horticultural Products Market Size and Forecasts - 2009-2019 by Value (£M MSP)
Chart 27 Product Mix in the Horticultural Products Market, 2014 - % by Value. Nursery / Bedding Plants/ Bulbs / Seeds
Table 28 UK Domestic Nursery Stock & Bedding Plants Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Table 29 UK Domestic Bulbs & Seeds Market 2009-2014 – by Value (£M MSP)
Table 30 Imports of Bulbs, Plants, Cuttings Etc (Excluding Seeds), 2009-2014, by Value (£M)
Chart 31 Distribution Structure For the UK Domestic Landscaping Materials Market
Chart 32 UK Distribution of Landscaping Materials, 2014 - % Share by Value – Builders Merchants, Diy, Internet / Mail Order Etc.
Key product sectors in the UK domestic landscaping materials market market are horticulture, which accounts for just below half of the market by value, hard landscaping and garden decoration. Annual growth rates in the market are heavily influenced by prevailing weather conditions and market performance fluctuations reflect this variability, as seen in 2012 and 2014 in particular. In addition, the performance of the UK economy impacts on the market, although the market tends to cope well with economic downturns and has not suffered as badly as some other consumer markets. Since the start of the economic downturn, sectors of the landscaping materials market have performed differently, with sectors such as paving and decking declining, whilst sectors associated with ‘grow your own’ (GYO) experienced overall growth.
The overall market was volatile during 2008-12 due to the impact of the economic downturn and weather conditions (notably poor in 2012), but recovered in 2013 and grew by an estimated 7% in 2014 - mainly due to favourable weather, an improving economy and increasing consumer confidence & spending. Assuming ‘normal’ weather patterns, the market is expected to experience growth to 2019. Key factors influencing the market include the housing market, consumer confidence & spending, and levels of interest in gardening as a hobby or to grow produce, as well as the trend for gardens being seen as an extension to the home and al fresco dining, the mature structure of most sectors and the growth of the Internet that tends to drive down average prices and increase price competition in the market.
Distribution of landscaping material is complex and fragmented, consisting of a very wide range of products distributed through a range of channels. Key channels include DIY multiples, garden centres (particularly for horticulture), builders merchants (hard landscaping) and mail order & Internet (a channel gaining share). Internet retailing is expected to continue gaining share as consumers seek greater value for money and the convenience of home shopping. Garden centres are increasingly addressing this issue and it is likely that those companies prepared to evolve their formats and develop their offering will perform better in the future. Garden centres are increasingly being seen as destination centres and have expanded their product ranges to more weather proof their businesses.
Forecasting future market performance is difficult at this time due to events unfolding in the Eurozone and the forthcoming General Election, as well as the market dependency on the weather. However, house building and house moving levels have improved in recent years and are forecast to continue. As the economy and consumer spending grows it is expected that the market will benefit from pent up demand for landscaping projects that have been deferred during the economic downturn. Also, some product sectors saw consumer downgrading in their product selection, which has reversed more recently and is expected to continue as disposable income levels increase. Trends that may benefit the market include increasing demand for artificial grass, permeable paving and other environmental friendly options (e.g. solar lighting) and container & vertical gardening. Conversely, sectors such as the declining decking market are forecast to lose share in the overall market mix.
- AVS Fencing Supplies
- Arborforest Products
- Blue Diamond UK
- Bouchier Fencing
- Brett Landscaping
- Dobbies Garden Centres plc
- Feature DECO
- Forest Garden
- Grange Fencing
- Hanson Packed Products
- Hillier Garden Centres
- Home Hardware Southwest
- Honeysuckle Bottom Sawmill
- Hutton Garden Products
- J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale)
- Jacksons Fencing
- John Brash
- Klondyke Garden Centres
- Lakeland Concrete
- Marshalls plc
- Metsa Wood
- Mr Fothergills
- Notcutts Ltd
- OA Taylors & Sons
- Outland Stone
- Richard Burbidge
- Rowlinson Garden Products
- Somerlap Forest Products
- Squire’s Garden Centres
- Stax Trade Centres
- Stewart Plastics
- Suttons Consumer Products
- The Butters Group
- Thumbs Up (Bury)
- Westland Horticulture
- Willowstone Garden Products
- Winchester Growers
- Wyevale Garden Centres.