Impact of Camera Phones on the Mobile Business: Lessons from Japan provides a thorough insight into this market - the first to have launched camera phones - detailing business models, major players, strategies and customer views and enabling you to learn key lessons from other companies' real life experiences.
The report provides a detailed analysis of handsets being deployed, marketing strategies behind these and the latest estimates on camera-phone sales.
Based on a detailed examination of 2 years of marketing and development in the world's largest data market and incorporating a customer survey containing the opinions of 2000 participants, this report contains all the information you need to draft a successful strategy enabling you to roll out your own, successful mobile data services.
This report answers your key questions:
- How were camera-phones launched in Japan?
- Did Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) improve due to camera-phones?
- How do people use cameras on their phones?
- What are the different implications for operators outside Japan?
- What are the future product trends influencing Japan's camera-phones?
- What are the key lessons to be learnt from this market?
Key issues covered in this report include:
- The future of camera embedded phones and their effect on handset sales - understand the real effect of 3G phones on overall handset sales
- Profiles of mobile camera phone users - accurately profile the target market for camera phones and develop a suitable marketing strategy
- Effect of mobile camera phones on customer retention and repeat purchasing - assess whether camera and movie phones have any effect on loyalty and repeat sales
- Sales forecasts of camera phones in Japan - analyse how the Japanese camera market is likely to develop in the short and medium term and use these forecasts to estimate the future of the western 3G phone market
This report will enable you to:
- Gain a clear insight of the tried and tested mobile service business models used in Japan over the last few years
- Analyse the marketing strategies that resulted in sales of over 10 million units in the last 2 years, including 1 million movie phones
- Evaluate likely future trends in mobile handset uptake and position your product to optimise market opportunities
- Understand how events in the Japanese camera phone market will affect global handset suppliers and adapt your business strategy accordingly
- Assess the effect of camera phone uptake on ARPU and on long term profitability
WLAN in Japan
Japan's Wireless Market
The Potential of WLAN in Japan
Market Significance of PHS
Estimated Market Size: Market Survey
A Look at WLAN Technologies
WLAN Market in Japan
I. Major Service Providers
iv. Areas of Innovation
v. Business Models
vi. Problem Areas
Challenges to WLAN
Potential of WLAN
INDEX: PROFILES OF SELECTED WLAN PROJECTS IN JAPAN
Major WLAN Players
a. Profiles: Operator Services
I. NTT group
1. NTT DoCoMo Mzone
3. NTT East and NTT West
4. NTT Communications Corporation
ii. KDDI Corporation
b. Profiles: Broadband Providers
iii. Yahoo! BB Mobile
c. Profiles: WLAN Service Firms
iv. Mobile Internet Services Inc.
v. Yozan Inc.
vi. Skyley Networks Inc.
vii. Wicom Inc.
d. Profiles: Infrastructure Providers
viii. East Japan Railway Co. (JR East)
ix. SpeedNet Inc.
Hardware Devices and Software Applications of WLAN
PDAs, Notebooks and Desktop Computers
WLAN Cards in Japan
Other Consumer Devices using WLAN
I. Sanyo Digital Camera
ii. Icom Inc.: Pocket LAN Relay
I. Fujitsu: PDA Wireless Environment Switching Software
ii. Skywave: PDA VoIP software
WLAN in the Home
I. NTT-ME WLAN Home Server
ii. Sony: Wireless TV
iii. Toshiba Server: TransCube
iv. Toshiba: Feminity Home Appliance
v. Japan Computer Corporation: Home Server
WLAN in the Enterprise Environment I. Pronto Cafe's "Linux Cafe"
ii. Toshiba's "Seamless Office"
iii. Melco Inc.
iv. Mitsubishi and Deutsche Telecom AG
Retail and Content Deployment Case Studies
I. Packet Video
I. Convenience Stores: Family Mart and Others
ii. Food Chains: Mos Burger, Mister Donuts and McDonald's
iii. Tully's Coffee Chain
iv. Sumisho Oil
Hotels and Airports
Research Institutions and Government Projects
Kyoto University: IPv6 Tests
Kushiro Municipal Government (Brief)
Sendai Initiative (Brief)
Japan's Telecom Ministry: Smart Card Verification Project
Fukuoka Municipal Government
APPENDIX: Mobile Media Japan / Kikakuya, Inc. Wireless LAN Survey
APPENDIX: Selected Company Contact Information
Tables Featured in this Report
TABLE 1: A Comparison of Wireless Data Packages in Japan
TABLE 2: A Sample Look of Overlapping WLAN Coverage in The Tokyo Area
TABLE 3: Estimated Market Size Summary
TABLE 4: Major WLAN Service Providers in Japan
TABLE 5: Sample Monthly WLAN Subscription Fees
TABLE 6: Sample WLAN Business Models
TABLE 7: Sample of Manufacturers Releasing WLAN Capable Notebooks in Japan: Summer 2002
TABLE 8: Sample of 802.11b (2.4GHz) WLAN Cards Selling In Japan: August 2002
TABLE 9: Sample of 802.11a (5GHz) WLAN Cards Selling In Japan: August 2002
TABLE 10: Sample of Hotels and Airports using WLAN
Inserts Featured in this Report
INSERT 1: What can you do with WLAN?
INSERT 2: Japan WLAN Service Growth 2002-2006
INSERT 3: Conclusion Summary
INSERT 4: Worth Noting: NTT CommunicationsEMove to IPv6 Protocol
INSERT 5: Worth Noting: In Development at NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
INSERT 6: What's New in Japan: Nissan March
- East Japan Railway Co. (JR East)
- Icom Inc.
- Japan Computer Corporation
- KDDI Corporation
- Melco Inc.
- Mister Donuts
- Mobile Internet Services Inc.
- Mos Burger
- NTT group
- Skyley Networks Inc.
- SpeedNet Inc.
- Sumisho Oil
- Toshiba Server
- Tully's Coffee Chain
- Wicom Inc.
- Yahoo! BB Mobile
- Yozan Inc.