South Africa Renewables Report Q2 2016
- ID: 3615995
- February 2016
- Region: Africa, South Africa
- 34 pages
- Business Monitor International
South Africa's renewables project pipeline continues to strengthen, in line with our optimistic forecasts for renewables capacity in the country to total nearly 9.3GW by 2025. Solar and wind will be the technologies of choice and domestic South African companies will continue to dominate the competitive landscape, despite heavy investment from European companies.
Latest Updates and Structural Trends
- Renewables capacity in South Africa will grow by an annual average of 12% between 2016 and 2025. This will result in an installed capacity base of nearly 9.3GW by 2025.
- In August 2015, the Department of Energy made arrangements to offer an additional 6.3GW of renewables capacity in future auctions, providing greater opportunities for investment.
- In October 2015, US-owned development finance institution Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) signed a formal agreement to provide USD400mn of debt financing for 100MW Redstone concentrating solar power (CSP) project in South Africa.
- South Africa-based sawmill operator York Timber Holdings is developing a 25MW biomass power plant in Mpumalanga. The project will cost USD106mn and fuel for the plant will come from biomass waste generated after processing timber.
Table: South AfricaHeadline Renewables Forecast
South Africa Renewables Forecast Scenario
Table: Ambitious Targets
Table: South Africa Non-Hydro Renewables Generation Forecasts, 2014-2020
Table: South Africa Non-Hydro Renewables Generation Forecasts, 2020-2025
Table: South Africa Non-Hydro Renewables Capacity, 2014-2020
Table: South Africa Non-Hydro Renewables Capacity, 2020-2025
South Africa Renewables Projects Database
Industry Risk Reward Index
South Africa Renewables Risk/Reward Index
Sustainable Energy Policy And Infrastructure
Table: Ambitious Targets To Drive Growth
Électricité de France
Enel Green Power
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Methodology And Sources
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Renewables Risk/Reward Index Indicators
Table: Weighting Indicators