Turkey’s B2C E-Commerce market is the second largest in Eastern Europe, and is also among the fastest growing. Internet penetration in the country was barely at 50% of the population last year, and just a third of Internet users made purchases online, so increased connectivity and online shopping engagement will boost B2C E-Commerce sales further.
The recent history of rapid growth in B2C E-Commerce in Turkey, along with its remaining potential for continued expansion make this market attractive for foreign as well as domestic investors. The report reveals that Hepsiburada.com, Turkey’s largest online retailer, got an infusion of 100 million USD in investment last year.
The most popular product category for B2C E-Commerce in Turkey is clothing. Both male and female shoppers make fashion purchases online, according to the report. The websites of online clothing retailers, such as Trendyol.com and Markafoni.com, are among the most visited online shopping destinations.
Another distinguishing characteristic of the B2C E-Commerce market in Turkey is the use of mobile shopping and social media. The report divulges that over half of online shoppers say that their online buying behavior is influenced by social media. M-Commerce is driven by the increasing spread of Internet-enabled phones and tablets. Major online shopping platforms, such as online marketplaces GittiGidiyor and n11.com report rapid growth rates in mobile traffic and sales.
Key Questions Answered:
- How fast is B2C E-Commerce growing in Turkey?
- What are some important growth drivers and challenges for the online retail development in this country?
- How high is the online shopper penetration in Turkey and how does it compare to other countries in Europe?
- What do consumers in Turkey buy when they shop online and how do they pay for the purchases?
- Which are the largest B2C E-Commerce companies in Turkey and which companies in this sector attracted investment during 2015? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. Management Summary
2. Overview and International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, March 2016
- Breakdown of Europe’s Internet Audience, by Top 5 Countries, incl. Turkey, and Others, in %, May 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Selected Countries in Eastern Europe, incl. Turkey, in EUR billion, 2014
- Number of Internet Users and Penetration in Eastern Europe, by Selected Countries, incl. Turkey, in millions and in % of Population, 2013 - 2019f
- Number of Smartphone Users and Penetration in Eastern Europe, by Selected Countries, incl. Turkey, in millions and in % of Mobile Phone Users, 2013 - 2018f
- Internet Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Individuals, 2012 – 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Internet Users, 2012 – 2015
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Online Shoppers, 2015
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Selected Countries in Europe, incl. Turkey, in % of Mobile Device Owners, 2014
- Ranking of Top 5 Fastest Growing E-Commerce Companies in Europe, by Year-on-Year Growth, in %, incl. Companies Based in Turkey, 2014
- Devices Used to Connect to the Internet, in % Households with Internet Access, Q1 2014 & Q1 2015
- Number of Mobile Internet Subscriptions, in millions and in % of Total Internet Subscriptions, Q3 2013 - Q3 2015
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, Q1 2015
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Product Categories Purchased in Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Share of Cross-Border Online Shoppers Using Social Media to Reach an International Website, in %, 12 Months to November 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Whose Online Shopping Behavior is Influenced by Reading Reviews, Comments and Feedback on Social Media, in %, February 2016
- Product Categories Researched via Social Media Prior to Purchase, in % of Social Media Users, 2015
- Top Reasons for Online Research Prior to In-Store Purchase, and In-Store Research Prior to Online Purchase, in % of Respondents in the Relevant Group, April 2015
4. Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in TRY billion, 2013-2016f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Segment, in TRY billion, 2013 & 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2014 & 2015e
5. Users & Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2011 - 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2011 - 2015
- Breakdown of Internet Users by Time of Last Online Purchase, in %, Q1 2014 & Q1 2015
- Reasons Not to Purchase Products and Services Online, in % of Internet Users Who Do Not Shop Online, by Gender and Total, 12 Months to March 2015
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, by Gender, 12 Months to March 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Specialized Multichannel Retailers, by Product Category, in TRY million, and in % Year-on-Year Change, 2014
- Breakdown of Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in %, 2014
- Number and Value of Domestic E-Commerce Transactions with Bank Cards, in millions and in TRY million, Q1 2013 - Q4 2015
- Number and Value of Cross-Border E-Commerce Transactions with Bank Cards, in millions and in TRY million, Q1 2013 - Q4 2015
- Problems Encountered in Online Shopping, incl. Delivery, in % of Online Shoppers, by Gender and Total, 12 Months to March 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Players Overview, March 2016
- Overview of Selected E-Commerce Mergers and Acquisitions, 2015
- Top 15 E-Commerce Websites by Page Views, incl. Page Views, in millions, and Real Users, in millions, January 2016
- Breakdown of B2C E-Commerce Market Shares, by Players, in %, 2014
- Profile of D-Market Elektronik Hizmetler Ticaret A.S., March 2016
- Profile of GittiGidiyor A.S., March 2016
- Profile of Dogus Planet Elektronik Ticaret ve Bilisim Hizmetleri A.S., March 2016
- D-Market Elektronik Hizmetler
- Delivery Hero