South Africa B2C E-Commerce Market 2016
- ID: 3726970
- May 2016
- Region: Africa, South Africa
- 51 Pages
- yStats GmbH & Co. KG
South Africa is one of the largest B2C E-Commerce markets in Africa and also among the regional leaders in Internet and mobile phone penetration, this new report shows. While only about half of South Africa’s population has Internet access and just one third of Internet users made purchases online in 2015, the demand for online shopping services is growing. The share of Internet users who plan to make purchases online is nearly twice as high as the share of those who already buy over the Internet. In 2016, B2C E-Commerce sales in South Africa are predicted by multiple sources to grow at a double-digit rate and break the threshold of 1% of total retail sales.
Faster and more flexible delivery are cited among the top five factors that could help drive Internet retailing in South Africa still further. The lack of trust in delivery is reflected in the ranking of the product categories most purchased by online shoppers in South Africa in 2015, as cited in this report. This ranking is topped by digital and small item purchases, such as ticket reservations and books. Payment safety is another online shoppers’ concern, as safer payment is desired by two-thirds of them.
Some of South Africa’s prominent E-Commerce companies include online mass merchant and marketplace Takealot.com, which joined forces with another online retailer, Kalahari.com in 2015. Specialist online retailers, such as consumer electronics merchant Makro and clothing merchant Zando are also among the leaders. Moreover, foreign E-Commerce platforms such as Amazon.com, Ebay.com and Alibaba.com are among popular destinations for South Africa’s Internet users, indicating further potential for the cross-border online shopping trend.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the market size of B2C E-Commerce in South Africa and what growth is expected in the next five years?
- Which are the main drivers and challenges to online retail development in South Africa?
- Which important trends have emerged in South Africa’s Internet retailing?
- What do online shoppers in South Africa buy and how do their pay for their purchases?
- Who are the E-Commerce market leaders in this country? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1. Management Summary
2. Overview and International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview, May 2016
- Internet Penetration in South Africa, in % of Individuals, Compared to Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, 2014
- Internet Penetration in South Africa, by Age Group, Gender and Total, in % of Adults, Compared to Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, May 2015
- Breakdown of Mobile Phone Ownership in South Africa, by Smartphone, Other Mobile Phone and No Mobile Phone, in % of Adults, Compared to Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, May 2015
- Number of Mobile Phone Users in South Africa, in millions, and Mobile Phone User Penetration, in % of Population, Compared to Nigeria and Egypt, 2013 - 2019f
- Number of Smartphone Users in South Africa, in millions, and Smartphone User Penetration, in % of Mobile Phone Users, Compared to Nigeria and Egypt, 2013 - 2018f
- Breakdown of Internet Subscriptions by Type, in % and in millions, September 2015
- Breakdown of Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users, January 2016
- Devices Used for Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, 2013 & 2014
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried out via Mobile Internet, in % of Mobile Internet Users, August 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Check a Retailer's Flyer Online to Ensure They Get the Best Deal Prior to Purchasing, in %, October 2015
- Breakdown of Online Shopping Destinations, by Cross-Border and Domestic, in % of Online Shoppers, 12 Months to October 2015
4. Sales and Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in ZAR billion, 2014 & 2018f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in ZAR billion, 2015 & 2020f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in ZAR billion, 2012 - 2016f
- B2C E-Commerce’s Share of Total Retail Sales, 2014 & 2016f
- B2C E-Commerce’s Share of Total Retail Sales, 2011 - 2020f
5. Users and Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 - 2014
- Breakdown of Internet Users, by Age and Gender, in %, January 2016
- Activities Carried Out Online, in % of Internet Users, October 2015
- Share of Internet Users Shopping Online, in %, and Share of Internet Users Planning to Shop Online in the Future, in %, 2014
- Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, 2012-2014
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2015
- Top 3 Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2015
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2015
- Share of Online Transactions Paid with Credit/Check Card, in %, 2015e
- Share of Internet Users Who Do Not Shop Online Due to Lack of Trust to Online Payment, in % of Respondents, 2014
- Key Drivers for Online Shopping, incl. Delivery, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Are Concerned About Deliveries Arriving When They Are Not At Home, October 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Players Overview, April 2016
- Top 10 E-Commerce Websites, by Website Rank, May 2016, incl. Category, Website Visits, in millions, April 2016, and Share of Traffic from South Africa, 3 Months to May 2016