Until recently, China’s carriers have operated in a certain amount of isolation. However, as SMS content demand continues, China Mobile and China Unicom have adjusted to share the market with content providers and Internet portal operators, companies they previously had not considered competitors, much less possible partners. This research publication describes the current environment and outlook for Mobile Content in the China market.
Key Messages in this Publication
- Content providers and mobile operators are adopting new business strategies, technologies and new methods of partnering - to enable services that customers want and are willing to pay for.
- There have been significant and progressive efforts during 2003 by mainland China portal operators such as NetEase, Sohu and Sina to branch out into the mobile content business through SMS technology. They have all seen revenues and income soar on the introduction of SMS based content services. - In the past eighteen months, China has seen tremendous growth in the usage of Short Messaging Service (SMS). The growth has been driven by an explosive increase in the number of mobile phone subscribers, which topped 200 million in 2002.
- China’s mobile data usage is expected to continue to exceed 100% annual growth over the next several years, surpassing Internet usage.
Chapter 2. China’s Mobile Environment
- Declining ARPU’s
- China’s SMS Volumes
- Prepaid vs Post-Paid
Chapter 3. The Mobile Operator Duopoly
- China Mobile
- China Mobile Subscriber Growth and Outlook
- China Mobile APRU
- China Unicom
- China Unicom Subscriber Growth and Outlook
- China Unicom APRU
Chapter 4. Overview of the Mobile Content Model
- Technology in the Mobile Content Portal
Chapter 5. China’s Mobile Content Providers
China Unicom’s Uni-Info
China Mobile’s Monternet
Online Gaming Revenue
Chapter 6. Technology Companies Profiting from China’s Mobile Data and Content Market
Chapter 7. Mobile Payment Issues in China
Chapter 8. Conclusions
- Imperatives for the Mobile Operator
- Opportunities for Content Providers
- Opportunities for Technology Providers
- Abbreviations and Glossary