- Language: English
- 572 Pages
- Published: November 2012
- Region: World
Pharmaceutical Innovation: Is It Really Rewarded?
- Published: June 2007
- Region: World
- 33 Pages
- Decision Resources, Inc
Governments in the world’s largest pharmaceutical markets clearly have an interest in promoting access to innovative medicines, but the relatively high price of many novel drugs can place a heavy financial burden on overtaxed health care systems. Thus, the essential challenge for governments and other payers is to strike a balance between the benefits and costs of making innovative medicines more widely available.
Get the Answers You Need to Shape Your Strategy
- The European Commission wants to balance strict price controls and free market pricing. What initiatives has the EU undertaken to achieve this balance? Which EU markets have the strictest constraints on pharmaceutical pricing? Are new policies likely to improve or worsen the climate for pharmaceutical companies?
- Recently, the Japanese government has taken action intended to make premiums for innovation more generous and more attainable. What price reforms has the government made? Are they likely to in fact encourage innovation? Will the new price premiums be achievable?
- In the United States, the increasing focus on drug prices will prompt more payers to adopt evidence-based formularies. How is formulary decision making evolving in the private sector? How is Medicare now encouraging health economic research?
- EU innovation initiatives: a review of recent initiatives by the EU in support of innovative medicines in Europe.
- Outlook and implications for the pharmaceutical industry: the future of reimbursement for innovative drugs in the EU, Japan, and the United States.
- Detailed analysis of pricing and reimbursement in the major markets: an examination of how health care payers in seven leading pharmaceutical markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, Japan, and United States) approach the pricing and reimbursement of innovative drugs. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Innovation: Balancing Benefits and Costs
High-Level Group on Innovation and the Provision of Medicines (G10 Medicines Group)
High-Level Pharmaceutical Forum
Standard Price-Setting Procedure
Price Setting for Innovative Drugs
Renewal of Pricing and Reimbursement
Health Technology Assessment
New Restrictions on the Use of Costly Drugs
More Selective Funding of Medicines
Proposal to Replace the Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme
National Institute for Clinical Excellence
Review of Variations in the Use of NICE-Approved Cancer Drugs
Patient Action Against Lack of Access to Certain Drugs
Accelerated NICE Appraisal Process
Initial Pricing of Branded Prescription Drugs
Similar-Efficacy Comparison Methods
Cost Calculation Method
Formulary Decision Making in the Private Sector
Medicare Sponsorship of Health Economic Research
Outlook and Implications for the Pharmaceutical Industry
1. Methods Used for Pricing New Drugs in Japan, June 2002-March 2007
2. Hierarchy of National Health Insurance Price Premiums in Japan
3. Number of New Drugs Awarded Price Premiums for Therapeutic Advances,
June 2002-March 2007
4. U.S. Employers’ Views on Strategies to Increase Prescription Drug Benefit Value
5. U.S. Employers’ Views on Strategies to Increase Prescription Drug Benefit Value
1. New Drugs’ Share of Total Pharmaceutical Expenditures in Major Markets, 2001-2004
2. Percentage of Drugs Awarded Various SMR Ratings in France
3. Percentage of Drugs Awarded Various ASMR Ratings in France
4. Criteria for Determining the Pricing Method Used for New Prescription Drugs in Japan
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations
- Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers’ Associations of Japan
- German Association of Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies
- High-Level Group on Innovation and the Provision of Medicines (The G10 Medicines Group)
- Italian Pharmaceutical Agency
- Merck & Co.
- Pharmaceutical Forum
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Sanofi -Aventis
- Sanofi -Aventis Deutschland
|Electronic (PDF)||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is a single user license, allowing one specific user access to the product.|