• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Greenville, SC Market Overview
HealthLeaders Interstudy, June 2011
In Greenville, health system acquisition of physician groups continues at a rapid pace, growing the four largest health systems’ networks and giving them more power in future negotiations with health plans. Medicaid in South Carolina has required all beneficiaries to enroll in managed care, giving an enrollment boost to MCOs. But lawmakers cut provider rates, leaving hospitals in the market dealing with increased financial pressures after the turmoil of recession and physicians wondering if they will need to stop seeing Medicaid patients.
Questions answered in this report:
The two dominant acute-care providers in the Upstate region are Greenville Hospital System and Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System. Which systems have recently purchased physician groups? Which systems are expanding cancer services? Which system wants to build a rehabilitation hospital?
Physician consolidation in this market has become more concentrated as independent groups join with health systems. Why are physicians in the market choosing to become employed? What two four-year medical schools are opening in the market? How much of a reduction in Medicaid reimbursements do physicians in the market face?
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is the Greenville market’s dominant insurer. Which insurers are introducing products geared for employers that want to go self-insured? Do MCOs face cuts as the state tries to balance its Medicaid budget? What major health system and insurer are still at odds in contract negotiations?
- Key market indicators and leading organizations among health systems, physicians and health plans
- Health systems’ market share
- Income, revenue, enrollment and pharmacy spend for leading health plans
- Greenville, which includes the counties of Anderson, Greenville, Laurens, Pickens and Spartanburg
- Analysis of HealthLeaders-InterStudy data, Billian’s HealthDATA, local and state news and industry reports and interviews with local healthcare executives.
- Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
- AnMed Health
- Bon Secours St. Francis Health System
- St. Francis Optimum Health Network
- University Medical Group
- Regional HealthPlus
- Mary Black HealthNetwork
- BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
- UnitedHealth Group
- CIGNA HealthCare
- South Carolina Business Coalition on Health