• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Can a New Antidepressant Establish Itself in a Highly Competitive Market?
Decision Resources, Inc, March 2008, Pages: 39
With the antidepressant market approaching its saturation point, emerging agents face increasing difficulty capturing market share from the multitude of already available branded and generic drugs. Companies hoping to launch new products into this market must explore and capitalize on fresh ways of marketing their agents, such as emphasizing their drugs’ collateral benefi ts for comorbid conditions, and carefully allocate and target their advertising budgets.
Get the Answers You Need to Shape Your Strategy
SSRIs are the first-line therapy choice for most depressive disorders, although psychiatrists are increasingly prescribing SNRIs. Do patients consult PCPs or psychiatrists for help with their depressive disorders?
What agents do physicians prefer? What role do reimbursement considerations play in prescribing habits?
- With dozens of antidepressants on the market, including a number of generic agents, it is becoming increasingly difficult for manufacturers of these agents to distinguish their products. What strategies have antidepressant manufacturers used to position their products? How well have these strategies
succeeded? What strategies can be used to distinguish emerging agents?
- Branded antidepressants consistently have some of the highest promotional budgets among all pharmaceuticals. What is the correlation between promotional spend and drug sales? How does directto- consumer (DTC) advertising affect the uptake of a drug?
Overview of antidepressants: tricyclics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, SSRIs, SNRIs, dopaminergic/noradrenergic agents.
- Prescribing habits of physicians: treatment algorithms for major depression and bipolar disorder, physicians’ choices of agents.
- Market for antidepressants: 2007 sales, generic erosion patterns for antidepressants, role of managed care in the market.
- Marketing strategies for antidepressants: Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Pristiq, agomelatine.
- Market outlook: the value of promotional spend, the value of DTC advertising, marketing strategies for emerging agents.
Overview of Antidepressants
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors
Physician Prescribing Habits
2007 U.S. Market
Generic Erosion of Antidepressants
Reimbursement of Antidepressants
Case Studies of Successful Antidepressants
Zoloft—Targeting a New Patient Population: SAD
Cymbalta—Treating a New Depression Symptom: Physical Pain
The Competitive Position of Emerging Agents
The Value of Promotional Spend
Positioning a New Antidepressant in the Market
1. Commonly Prescribed Antidepressants
2. Comparison of SSRIs
3. Comparison of SNRIs
4. Sales of Leading Antidepressants in the United States, 2007
1. Algorithm for the Treatment of Major Depression
2. Algorithm for the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
3. Generic Erosion of Statin Drug Class Sales (Branded Only) in the United States, 2004-2007
4. Generic Erosion of SSRI Drug Class Sales (Branded Only) in the United States, 1999-2007
5. Pfizer’s U.S. Promotional Spend for Zoloft, 2002-2006
6. Volume Share of the Social Anxiety Disorder Market, 2003 and 2004
7. Forest Laboratories’ Promotional Spend on Lexapro, 2002-2006
8. Eli Lilly’s Promotional Spend on Cymbalta, 2004-2006
9. Total U.S. Promotional Spend by Product, 2003-2005
10. Correlation of Promotional Spend to New Prescriptions, 2003-2005
11. Correlation of DTC Promotional Spend to New Prescriptions, 2003-2005
- Abbott Laboratories
- Astellas Pharma
- Barr Pharmaceuticals
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Eli Lilly
- Forest Laboratories
- Pfi zer
- Teva Pharmaceutical