- Published: October 2011
- Region: Great Britain, United Kingdom
Ageing of composites
- Published: August 2008
- Region: Global
- 544 Pages
- Woodhead Publishing Ltd
This important book addresses the highly topical subject of composite ageing. An increasing proportion of composites are being used in structural applications in industries including transport, oil and gas, chemical processing, marine and civil engineering. These composites are replacing traditional materials, particularly metals. Many of the composites have only been developed relatively recently. There are therefore uncertainties about the long term performance of these composites and how they will age under various conditions. The book examines the processes that cause premature ageing of composites, modelling and prediction of ageing and actual case studies.
Part 1 Ageing of composites: Processes and modelling: The physical and chemical ageing of polymeric composites
- Ageing of glass-ceramic matrix composites
- Chemical ageing mechanisms of glass fibre reinforced concrete
- Stress corrosion cracking in glass reinforced polymer composites
- Thermo-oxidative ageing of composite materials
- Fourier transform infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy of ageing composites
- Modelling physical ageing in polymer composites
- Modelling accelerated ageing in polymer composites
- Ageing of silicon carbide composites.
Part 2 Ageing of composites in transport applications: Ageing of composites in the rail industry
- Ageing of composites in the rotorcraft industry
- Ageing of composites in marine vessels.
Part 3 Ageing of composites in non-transport applications: Ageing of polyethylene composite implants in medical devices
- Ageing of composite in oil and gas applications
- Ageing of composites in the construction industry
- Ageing of composite insulators
- Ageing of composites in the chemical processing industry
- Ageing of composites in underwater applications.
Dr Rod Martin, Chief Executive Officer of MERL Ltd in Hitchin, UK, is a Chartered Engineer and Chartered Scientist. He has conducted research on composites used in many applications including space, aeronautics, land transport and the petrochemical industry.