- Language: English
- 318 Pages
- Published: October 2012
- Region: Global
Stakeholder Opinions: Diagnostics in Neurology - Predictive Biomarkers Expand Drug Revenues
- Published: July 2008
- 152 pages
As advances in omics technologies enable the development of high value molecular diagnostics, neurological conditions represent an attractive target for diagnostic companies. In this report, the diseases are identified in which early detection with a biomarker could significantly benefit the patient, gain payer approval, and ultimately expand the pharmaceutical market.
- Neurological conditions covered: Alzheimers disease, Parkinsons disease, MS, epilepsy, migraine, insomnia, Huntingtons disease and ALS.
- Overview of key biomarkers in development for each condition (including genetics).
- Identification of key factors required for the commercial success of neurological diagnostic biomarkers.
- Analysis of potential drug revenue gains due to improved diagnostics in Alzheimers disease.
Highlights of this title
A battery or algorithm of tests for each disease is likely to be available within the next 10 years. This is already the case for multiple sclerosis, the most mature neurological diagnostic market, with both clinical, imaging and in vitro diagnostics incorporated in a clear algorithm.
Revenue gained from earlier use (identification and incorporation of mild cognitively impaired patients) of potentially disease-modifying drugs in Alzheimers disease could generate an additional $5 billion by 2017 across the seven major markets (US, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK).
Neurology biomarker discovery and development is an attractive market for small biotechnology companies. The regulation of in vitro diagnostics is significantly less stringent than for pharmaceutical drugs. This decreases the considerable financial barriers to entry usually faced by biotechnology companies orientated towards drug discovery.
Key reasons to purchase this title
- Assess which diseases have the highest unmet need for new biomarkers.
- Appreciate the lucrative potential of earlier treatment of neurodegenerative conditions.
- Forecast the impact of improved diagnostics on neurological drug sales.
SHOW LESS READ MORE >