• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
Lithuania Exporter Guide - Food Products
International Business Network, January 2005, Pages: 38
During recent years Lithuania has become one of the fastest growing economies in Central and Eastern Europe, with the private sector producing more than 80% of the country's GDP. Lithuania joined European Union and NATO in year 2004. Country plans to introduce Euro as a national currency in the beginning of year 2007.
Between EU accession in 2004 and 2015, Lithuania should enjoy sustained economic growth with forecasts suggesting an increase in GDP of around 2,5 times current level. Country’s GDP rose 9.7 % in 2003 and 6.7% in 2004, however, it is expected that growth will slow down to 5 - 6 % in years 2005 - 2007.
Lithuania was able significantly reduce unemployment rate to 11.4% (2004), mainly due to growing labor force emigration to EU countries, and keep relatively low inflation: 2.9% in 2004.
Retail and food processing sectors were among ones showing the biggest growth and the biggest beneficiaries of EU accession process. Both food import and export has increased significantly, especially in trade with European Union countries. There are selective prospects to US food products to be imported directly to Lithuania or indirectly via wholesalers in Europe.
- Lithuania Agricultural Trade
Market indicators: Supplier Strengths / Weaknesses – Market Opportunities and Competitive Threats
Food Sector Structure
- Local Business Customs/Practices
- Consumer Tastes and Preferences
- Labeling Requirements
- Food Additives Regulations
Market Sector Structure and Trends
- Wholesale and Retail Sector
- Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Sector
Key Contacts and Further Information
- Lithuanian State Institutions, Associations, Chamber of Commerce
- Main Lithuanian Food and Agricultural Sector Companies
- Trade Fairs in Lithuania
Appendix 1. Statistics
- Key Trade and Demographic Information
- Employed population by kind of economical activity
- Trade between Lithuania and USA
- Foreign Trade in Agricultural and Food Products in 2004
- Exports and Imports of Foodstuffs and Agricultural Products by Country
A sample for this product is available. Please Login/Register to download this sample.