- Language: English
- 85 Pages
- Published: July 2012
- Region: United States
Ankylosing Spondylitis: How Have Biological Therapies Affected the Market?
- Published: March 2009
- Region: World
- 35 Pages
- Decision Resources, Inc
The availability of TNF-a inhibitors fueled a tremendous year-on-year increase in the ankylosing spondylitis (AS) market from 2006 to 2007, and we expect significant growth to continue over the next ten years. Although these agents may establish themselves as the gold-standard treatment for AS, emerging agents can still capitalize on the need for lower-priced, convenient, and efficacious agents. Thus, the AS market continues to represent an opportunity for companies.
Get the Answers You Need to Shape Your Strategy
- AS is a chronic, debilitating disease that significantly affects patients’ quality of life. How many people in the United States and Europe have AS? How will this population grow over the next ten years? What are the issues surrounding the diagnosis of AS?
- Diagnosis of AS is often delayed for years after the onset of symptoms. What are the symptoms of AS? How is the disease diagnosed? What are the risk factors for the disease?
- The availability of TNF-a inhibitors has changed the approach to AS treatment. What are rheumatologists’ preferred treatments for AS? How robust is the pipeline of developmental AS agents? How will these agents fit into the treatment algorithm for AS?
- The AS market has experienced strong growth over the past few years. What was the size of the 2007 AS market? What drugs are the market leaders? Will emerging agents be able to establish themselves in the AS market?
- Primary research: survey of U.S. rheumatologists.
- Overview of AS: etiology, symptoms, and diagnosis.
- Current treatments: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, TNF-a inhibitors, corticosteroids, and bisphosphonates.
- Epidemiology: prevalent cases of AS in the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
- Emerging agents: Centocor/Schering-Plough/Janssen/Mitsubishi Tanabe’s golimumab; Pozen/AstraZeneca’s PN-400; Novartis’s AIN-457; Array BioPharma’s ARRY-371797.
- Market overview: 2007 AS market; outlook for current and emerging agents. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
- Strategic Considerations
- Stakeholder Implications
- Disease Definition, Pathophysiology, and Etiology
- Symptoms and Peripheral Involvement
- Diagnosis and Disease Progression
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Conventional Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs
- TNF-Alpha Inhibitors
Emerging Therapies for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Centocor/Schering-Plough/Janssen/Mitsubishi Tanabe’s Golimumab
- Pozen/AstraZeneca’s PN-200/PN-400
- Novartis’s AIN-457
- Array BioPharma’s ARRY-371797
2007 Market and Outlook
Bibliography - Ankylosing Spondylitis
List of Tables
- Criteria Used in Evaluating Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Agents Commonly Prescribed for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha Inhibitors Approved for the Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Agents in Development for the Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Sales of Drugs to Treat Ankylosing Spondylitis in the United States and Europe, 2007
List of Figures
- Rheumatologist-Estimated Percentage of Ankylosing Spondylitis Patients with Specific Ankylosing Spondylitis Symptoms
- Survey question: Please indicate your first-, second-, and third-line therapy choice for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis
- Survey question: What percentage of your ankylosing spondylitis patients require new or additional therapies within these time frames?
- Surveyed Rheumatologist Opinion on Why Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha Inhibitors Are Not Prescribed as a First-line Therapy for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Prevalent Cases of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Survey question: Would you switch your ankylosing spondylitis patients currently taking other tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibitors to golimumab once the agent is available?
- Survey question: Will you prescribe Pozen’s PN-200/PN-400 to your ankylosing spondylitis patients?
- Survey question: What agents do you think are most likely to be replaced by Pozen’s PN-200/PN-400?
-Survey question: Will you prescribe Novartis’s AIN-457 to your ankylosing spondylitis patients?
- Array BioPharma
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Daiichi Sankyo
- Johnson & Johnson
- Mitsubishi Tanabe
- Procter & Gamble
|Electronic (PDF)||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is a single user license, allowing one specific user access to the product.|
|Enterprisewide||The report will be emailed to you. The report is sent in PDF format.||This is an enterprise license, allowing all employees within your organisation access to the product.|