• SELECT SITE CURRENCY
Select a currency for use throughout the site
The Russian Car Market in 2008
Autobusiness, March 2009, Pages: 54
The year 2008 was generally a successful year for the Russian automotive industry: 17 % sales growth made Russia the second largest automotive market in Europe.
In the first half of 2008 Russia sold more than 1.5 million cars, 35 % as much as in January-June 2007. In this period they went on opening showrooms almost daily.
However, by August 2008 the global financial crisis that was raging in the US and Europe had reached Russia. In the first place, the crisis affected the banking system, which led to problems in private crediting: interest rates soared and the number of refusals to grant credit grew. Taking into account the fact that purchasing of cars on credit in Russia accounts for 40-45 %, such problems in the automotive crediting sector led to a significant decline in consumer activity.
Already in September 2008 many dealers sold less cars compared with the same period the previous year and by October the decline of the market became evident. By the end of 2008 there was a significant slowdown in automotive sales caused by the global financial crisis.
The cooling down of vehicle production due to the global financial crisis has become a worldwide trend and Russia is no exception here. Nevertheless, production of vehicles in Russia in 2008 increased by 7.4 % compared with the same period in 2007.
In 2009 the Russian automotive market is set to shrink significantly. It is possible that this situation will lead to a freezing of the announced projects of foreign car manufacturers for several years. The development of the automotive market depends on the development of the Russian economy.
This report includes detailed data on market size, textual and graphical analysis of the key trends and competitive landscape and looks at the leading companies.
Key topics covered:
- Russian brands
- Foreign-brand cars made in Russia
- Foreign-brand cars
- General car market statistics
- Changes of a model range
- New manufactures
1. Key Events and Results
1.1. Russian Car Market: Current Trends
1.2. Russian Industrial Policy
1.3. Car Production in Russia
1.4. Evolution of the Car Dealers Business in Russia
2. Car Production in Russia
2.1. Russian Models
2.2. Russian-manufactured foreign-brand cars
3. Sales of Foreign-brand Cars in Russia
1. Car Production Dynamics in Russia, 2000-2008 %
2. Car Production Growth Rate in Russia, 2008/2007 %
3. Russian New Car Market Structure, 2007-2008, by origin, Market Share %
4. Russian Car Sales Structure, By Brand-name, 2007-2008, Market Share, %
5. Russian Car Market Structure, By Origin, 2007-2008, Market Share, %
1. Russian Car Production Structure, 2007- 2008, by manufacturer, unit, %
2. Russian Foreign-brand Car Production Structure, 2007-2008, unit, %
3. Foreign-brand Car Market in Russia, by the Brand Origin, 2007-2008, unit, %
4. Foreign-brand Car Market in Russia, by Segments, 2006-2008, unit, %
5. The Rating of the Most Popular Foreign-brand Cars in Russia, TOP-5 of 2008, by Classes, unit, %
6. The Rating of the Most Popular Foreign-brand Cars in Russia, TOP-5 of 2007, by Classes, unit, %
7. New Foreign-brand Car Sales Dynamics of Official Dealers in Russia, 2007-2008, unit, %
8. Rating of the Most Popular Foreign-brand Cars in Russia, 2008, unit, %
9. Russian Car Market Development Structure, 2007-2008, by Origin, unit, %
- Alfa Romeo
- BrillianceChevrolet (including Niva)
- FAW commercial
- Great Wall
- Land Rover
- Mercedes-Benz Vans