- Language: English
- 35 Pages
- Published: June 2012
- Region: Latin America
Seed China News 1208
- Published: August 2012
- Region: China
- 20 Pages
- CCM International Limited
China's grain output has seen continuous growth since 2004. In 2012, China achieves a bumper harvest of summer grains, mainly constituted by winter wheat and early rice. According to National Bureau of Statistics, total summer grain output amounts to 129.95 million tonnes, the highest level in history, with a growth of 2.8% year on year.
The planting area of summer grains maintains a stable level in 2012 and the average yield continues to increase. The total planting area of summer grains in 2012 reaches 27.58 million ha., with 0.1% slight growth over the previous year. The average yield in 2012 amounts to 4,713 kg/ha., up 2.7% year on year.
Overall, China is in a good situation of grain production and the grain reserves are sufficient, with a low proportion of grain imports. It is expected that China is able to withstand the impact of currently rising grain price in international market.
However, the pressure and risks in grain production still exist in China, in view of domestic rigid growth in grain demand and the slight decrease of food sufficiency. China's grain production is probably threatened by several factors: the reduction of arable land, low level of grain production efficiency and weak agricultural infrastructure. For enhancing food security, Chinese government should also promote the global cooperation in food price control and market regulation.
China's variety registration system is presenting a series of drawbacks, hindering the process of crop commercial breeding and the development of seed industry.
- In H1 2012, the performances of listed seed companies present obvious differentiation, caused by industry changes and operating strategies.
-Origin is striving to rank as a top technology-oriented seed company, relying on its outstanding advantages in biotechnology combining hybrid breeding.
- Guangxi is an important watermelon planting area in China, attracting a number of seed companies both at home and abroad.
- The breeding orientation of alfalfa would be targeted at stress tolerance such as salt tolerance, low temperature resistance, high resistance to pests and diseases.
- The planting area of cucumber in open field has been decreasing in northern China and greenhouse cucumber cultivation is rising.
- There is still a glimmer of hope for reviving China's non-GM soybean industry confronting shrinking planting and increasing import of GM soybean.
- Hubei, a key rapeseed planting region in China, has been confronting a continuous shrinkage of rapeseed planting area in the past three years.
"Y Liangyou 2" with the female parent "Y58S" is exclusively promoted by Anhui Yuanliang Rice Industry Co., Ltd.
- The industrialization of F-type three-line hybrid wheat is expected to be realized in the coming few years, greatly enhancing domestic wheat output." SHOW LESS READ MORE >
- Zhongshan fails in reformation of designated sales of highly toxic pesticides
- Australia halts the anti-dumping investigation on Chinese glyphosate formulations
- Seed industry + pesticide industry: ready for combination?
- Noposion's performance continues to slide in H1 2012
- Nutrichem vigorously promotes Huapont's performance in H1 2012
- Shandong Lubei plans to construct pesticide factory in Myanmar
- 98% thiamethoxam TC newly registered by two domestic enterprises
- Prices of imported pesticides increase
- Third generation of armyworm seriously outbreaks in China
- Shenzhen Noposion Agrochemical Co., Ltd.
- Chongqing Huapont Pharm. Co., Ltd.
- Nutrichem Laboratory Co., Ltd.
- Shandong Lubei Enterprise Group General Company