- Language: English
- 103 Pages
- Published: November 2011
- Region: Europe, Global, United States
Terumo Medical Device Company Intelligence Report
- Published: January 2013
- 41 Pages
- Espicom Business Intelligence Ltd
Since its formation in 1921 as a manufacturer of thermometers, Japan-based Terumo has evolved into a global medical device company that has grown in recent years through various business collaborations and strategic mergers and acquisitions.
Since deciding to embark on a course of full-fledged overseas expansion in 1999, Terumo has completed several strategic acquisitions to augment its operations in the medical field. This began with the purchase of US-based 3M's cardiovascular business unit in 1999; followed by UK-based Vascutek, a manufacturer of vascular grafts, in 2002; Mission Medical, located in the US, to start up a company that develops automated blood collection devices, in 2005; US-based MicroVention, which manufactures and markets coils for the treatment of cerebral aneurysms in 2006; the tissue heart valve business of Kohler Chemie of Germany in March 2007; and the acquisition of CaridianBCT from Gambro to boost its blood business in 2011.
Today, the company's products are sold in over 160 countries worldwide and are provided through four business segments:
- Disposable medical devices and medical electronics, including syringes, needles, blood collection tubes, solution sets, IV catheters, infusion pumps, syringe pumps, home parenteral nutrition systems and home oxygen therapy systems.
- Pharmaceuticals, including IV solutions, nutritional food, prefilled syringes and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) systems.
- Diabetes care, including blood glucose monitoring systems.
Cardiac and Vascular
- Interventional systems, including angiographic catheters, percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) balloon catheters, coronary stents and neuro interventional coils.
- Cardiovascular systems, including oxygenators, cardiopulmonary bypass systems and a left ventricular assist (LVA) system.
- Vascular grafts, including artificial vascular and stent grafts.
- Blood bags and automated blood processing devices.
- Digital thermometers, blood pressure monitors and over-the-counter (OTC) blood glucose monitors.
Terumo operates in more than 80 locations worldwide. Its principal subsidiaries include US-based Terumo Medical, Terumo Cardiovascular Systems (Terumo CVS), TerumoBCT, Harvest Technologies, Terumo Heart and MicroVention, Terumo Europe in Belgium and the UK, Terumo Penpol in India and Vascutek in the UK.
In the year ended 31st March 2012, Terumo generated net income of ¥24.2 billion on net sales of ¥386.7.0 billion. The company has approximately 18,112 employees worldwide.
As of the end of March 2012, trust and banking companies held a combined 26.8 per cent of Terumo's issued shares. Olympus Corporation, whose Medical Systems division is a leading manufacturer of gastro-intestinal and surgical endoscopes, endotherapy devices, endoscopic ultrasound systems and related products, owned 2.5 per cent of Terumo. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
cardiac and vascular Products
general Hospital Products
Blood Management Products
Fiscal Year 2011 Results
general Hospital Business
cardiac and vascular Business
Blood Management Business
consumer Healthcare Business
Five-Year Financial Data
General Hospital Products
Terumo Medical Products
Cardiac and Vascular Products
Terumo interventional Systems
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Kirin Pharma (Kyowa Hakko Kirin)
Okano industrial corporation
Studies and Trials
Shanghai angiocare Medical Technology co
Small Bone innovations
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
Olympus Terumo Biomaterials
Terumo BSn K.K
KEY CORPORATE EVENTS
List of tables
Recent Key Events
Terumo - Annual Financial Results, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Terumo - Annual Net Sales by Geographic Area, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Terumo - Annual Sales and Operating Income by Business Segment, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Terumo – Five-Year Financial Summary
Terumo – Forecast Fiscal Year 2012 Financial Results
Terumo Products by Business Segment
Terumo - Annual R&D Expenditures, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Mergers and Acquisitions Summary
List of Charts
Terumo - Annual Sales and Operating Income, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Terumo - Annual Sales by Geographic Area, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Terumo - Annual Sales by Business Segment, Fiscal Years 2007-2011
Medical Device Company Intelligence Reports provide a full review of the company's activities, from its origins to its latest corporate activity, including mergers and acquisitions, agreements, divestitures, major purchasing contracts and litigation. Sections are included on products, international activities and R&D, as well as a full, in-depth five year financial analysis. An introduction to each report and a full table of contents is provided for review. More than 60 Medical Device Company Intelligence Reports are currently available.