- Language: English
- Published: August 2012
- Region: United States
Food Micro, Sixth Edition - Food Microbiology Testing in Europe
- Published: January 2012
- Region: Europe
- Strategic Consulting Inc
Food Micro, Sixth Edition: Food Microbiology Testing in Europe
(Food Micro—6) is the first definitive report to focus exclusively on the European food microbiology testing market. Food Micro—6 reviews the methods, technologies, companies, regulations and trends shaping food safety testing in Europe. Europe is a substantial market for food microbiology testing. With a population of over 500 million, the 27 countries of the European Union (EU) conducted an estimated 275 million food safety microbiology tests in 2011. In comparison, there were 213 million tests conducted in the US in 2010.
In addition to size, the European food safety testing market differs from the US market in areas such as methods used, organisms tested and regulations. As a result, Europe must be examined and understood as a separate entity as it relates to food microbiology testing, and not simply thought of and treated as “like the US.” Food Micro—6 tracks, analyzes and reports on the distinct and important EU food microbiology testing market.
According to Tom Weschler, president of Strategic Consulting and lead author of Food Micro—6, “Food safety microbiology testing in the EU will reach close to 350 million tests in 2016, at which point we expect the market to top $1 billion in value. A resurgence in public awareness in the wake of the 2011 E.coli outbreak in Germany, and the continued focus of the European Food Safety Authority on EU-wide systems, could drive test volumes even higher.”
In preparing this new and comprehensive review of the European food microbiology testing market, Strategic Consulting (SCI) conducted more than 175 detailed interviews in 11 European countries accounting for 77% of all agricultural/food value-added in the European Union.
Because SCI conducted primary research with food-processing plants in Europe, Food Micro—6 is able to offer new, detailed data on European food safety testing such as test volumes, methods used for routine and pathogen testing, and costs per test performed. Differences in testing practices are analyzed for the meat, dairy, fruits/vegetables, and processed food segments. Variations within countries are outlined, and expected changes in future testing practices are discussed.
Food Micro—6 incorporates:
- Lengthy interviews with food processing plants in the meat, dairy, fruit/vegetable, and processed food segments in 11 European countries representing 77% of the total food production in the EU.
- A discussion of key drivers for food microbiology testing, and a countryby-country comparison of total testing, organisms tested, and methods used.
- Test volumes, methods, and products used for routine, environmental and pathogen tests for TVO, Coliform, Yeast/Mold, ATP, Staphylococcus, Salmonella, Listeria, L. mono, E. coli O157, and Campylobacter.
- Forecasts for the state of the market in 2016 including routine, pathogen and overall test volumes and market values.
- Insights from Strategic Consulting’s principals honed over more than 75 combined years in the worldwide industrial diagnostics marketplace.
- Profiles of the leading diagnostic companies competing in the food safety testing marketing, including a discussion of new technologies and market strategies: Becton-Dickinson, BioControl, bioMérieux, Bio-Rad, BIOTECON, DuPont Qualicon, Foss A/S, Idaho Technology, Life Technologies (ABI), Merck Millipore, 3M, Neogen, Pall Corporation, QIAGEN, Roka Bioscience, R-Biopharm, SDIX and Thermo Fisher.
Food Micro—6 is a companion report to Food Micro, Fifth Edition: Microbiology Testing in the U.S. Food Industry (Food Micro—5), published by SCI in 2011, which reviews the current practices and changes impact food safety testing at 9,350 U.S. food processing plants. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
SECTION ONE: Preface
Table of Contents
Table of Exhibits
SECTION TWO: Executive Summary
SECTION THREE: EU Food Microbiology Market Summary
Microbiology Testing Summary
EU Food Microbiology Growth Model—2011
Market Value/Average Cost Per Test (ACT)
Where Samples Are Collected
Where Samples Are Analyzed
Where Samples Are Analyzed (continued)
Food Segment Summary
Routine Methods Review
Pathogen Methods Review
SECTION FOUR: Scope, Definitions, and Methodology
Industrial Microbiology Market Summary
Food Microbiology—Market Definition
EU Food Processing Plants
SECTION FIVE: Market Trends / Drivers
The Public’s Perception of Food Safety
Role of Companies in the Food Chain
Food Supply Is Becoming More Global
European Food Regulations
SECTION SIX: Country Summaries
Country Summary Charts
Country Review—United Kingdom
SECTION SEVEN: Qualitative Discussion of Key Issues
Microbiology Analysis Decisions
Future Expectations (continued)
SECTION EIGHT: Food Segment Comparison
Food Segment Summary
Food Segment—Routine Testing
Food Segment—Pathogen Testing
Segment Review—Processed Food
SECTION NINE: Methods Review
2011 EU—Routine Methods Review
2011 EU—Pathogen Methods Review
Routine Method Review
Pathogen Method Review
SECTION TEN: Organism Review
Review of Micro Testing
Organism Review—Coliform/E. coli
Organism Review—L. monocytogenes
Organism Review—E. coli O157
Pathogen Testing—Product vs. Environmental
SECTION ELEVEN: Market Projections
2016 Forecast—Tests Volume/Market Value
2016 Forecast—Routine Testing
2016 Forecast—Pathogen Testing
2016 Forecast—Market Value
SECTION TWELVE: Competition—Business Review/Summary
Competition—Business Review Summary
Key Success Factors
SECTION THIRTEEN: Strategic Consulting, Inc.
APPENDIX A: Diagnostic Company Reviews
Life Technologies (ABI)
- DuPont Qualicon
- Foss A/S
- Idaho Technology
- Life Technologies (ABI)
- Merck Millipore
- Pall Corporation
- Roka Bioscience
- Thermo Fisher