Global Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) Ingredients Market - Industry Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth And Forecast, 2010 - 2018
- Language: English
- 67 Pages
- Published: October 2012
- Region: Global
Omega-3 fatty acids are fats commonly found in marine and plant oils. They are considered essential, meaning they cannot be synthesized by the human body, and are vital for normal metabolism. Omega-3 has benefits in terms of cardiovascular disease, inflammation, developmental disorders, psychiatric disorders and cognitive aging. The health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids, primarily EPA and DHA, were discovered in the 1970s by researchers studying the Greenland Inuit Tribe, who consumed large amounts of fat from fish, but displayed virtually no cardiovascular disease.
The most widely available marine sources of EPA and DHA are cold water, oily fish, krill and algae. Plant sources of Omega-3 include flaxseed and chia seed.
Although Omega-3 fatty acids have been known as essential to normal growth and health since the 1930s, awareness of their health benefits has dramatically increased since the 1990s. Today, Omega-3 products are a multi-billion dollar industry that is growing more than 15% annually.
Despite its size and growth rate, little has been published about the Omega-3 industry, production and demand for these products, and the companies producing them. This report looks in detail at these issues. Specifically, it provides:
- An overview of Omega-3, its health effects-especially on cardiovascular disease, mechanism of action, marine and plant sources, production technology, daily values and growth in awareness.
- Analysis of global marine and plant Omega-3 production volume and value by type, region and applications during the 2013-2018 period, exports, price trends and the competitive environment.
- Trends in the nutraceuticals industry, which Omega-3 products are part of, in terms of size, growth drivers, market dynamics, IPO and M&A activity, market attractiveness and outlook.
- A closer look at the cardiovascular, Omega-3 pharmaceutical market in terms of currently available treatment options, existing Omega-3 drug offerings, market size and outlook, new Omega-3 drug opportunities, competitive environment and new entrants.
Additionally, profiles of 183 public and private companies involved in the Omega-3 industry as producers, distributors and retailers are given. The report also includes 31 tables and 9 figures. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Methodology and Sources
- Omega-3 Sources
- Health Effects
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Developmental Disorders
- Psychiatric Disorders
- Cognitive Aging
- Adverse Effects
- Types of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Mechanism of Action
- Conversion Efficiency of ALA to EPA and DHA
- Omega-6 To Omega-3 Ratio
- Growth in Awareness
- Daily Values
- Fish Oil
- Plant Sources
- Mammalian Brains and Eyes
- Seal Oil
- Scope of Coverage
- Production of Crude Marine Oils
- Wet Reduction Process
- Other Sources of Marine Oils
- Krill Oil
- Fish Liver Oils
- Single Cell Oils
- Processing Marine Oils
- Marine Oils to Concentrates
- Global Marine and Plant Omega-3 Production Outlook
- Marine Omega-3 Production by Type
- Marine Market Volume by Region
- Omega-3 Retail Market Outlook by Region
- Marine Market Volume by Application
- Opportunities for Omega-3 Derived Drugs
- Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil
- Will There Be Enough Fish
- Fish Oil Industry
- Fish Oil Production by Country
- Fish Oil Exports
- Fish Oil Prices
- Threat of High Fish Oil Prices
- Fish Oil Outlook
- Algae Production
- Krill Production
- Krill End-Uses
- Krill Oil
- Krill Oil Prices
- Krill Oil Market
- Plant Omega-3
- Flaxseed Oil
- Flaxseed Uses
- Flaxseed Production
- Flaxseed Prices
- Flaxseed Production Value
- Chia Production
- Chia Production by Country
- Chia Production Issues
- Leading Chia Producers
- Omega-3 Products Are Nutraceuticals
- Classification of Nutraceuticals
- Dietary Supplements
- Functional Foods
- Science Barriers
- Regulation Barriers
- Nutraceutical Market Overview
- Nutraceutical Industry Trends
- Heart Health Nutraceuticals Outlook
- Global Nutraceutical Growth Drivers
- International Market Dynamics
- Nutraceutical Industry Mergers & Acquisition Activity in General
- Nutraceutical IPO and M&A Activity
- Nutraceutical Market Attractiveness
- Nutraceutical Industry Outlook
- Market Forces Affecting Growth
- US Nutraceutical Outlook
- Omega-3 Market Competitive Environment
CARDIOVASCULAR OMEGA-3 MARKET
- Cardiovascular Diseases Key Facts
- Hypertriglyceridemia and Cardiovascular Disease Background
- Currently Available Treatment Options
- Differentiating Factors of Epanova
- Total Prescription Omega-3 Market
- Market Opportunity Size
- Potential Concerns
- Vascepa Launch Will Shape Expectations For Epanova
- Omega-3 Drug Outlook
- Lovaza Generics
- Epanova Vs. Vascepa
- New Entrants
- Non-Prescription Competition
Ajinomoto Company, Inc.
Alaska Protein Recovery
Ascenta Health Ltd.
Atrium Innovations Inc.
Aurora Products, Inc.
Austral Group SAA
Barlean's Organic Oils
Bioriginal Food & Science Corp.
Bizen Chemical Co., Ltd.
Blue Pacific Oils SA
By-Health Co., Ltd.
Catalent Pharma Solutions
Chr. Holtermann Ans
Clipper Seafoods Ltd.,
Coland Holdings Company Limited's
Compania Pesquera Camanchaca SA
Daybrook Fisheries, Inc.
Dean Food/Horizon Organic
Drs. Foster & Smith
DSM Nutritional Products Ltd.
Eurofins GfA Lab Service GmbH
Functional Products Trading SA
GC Rieber Oils
George Weston Foods
Gihon-Laboratorios Químicos S.R.L.
Global Health Trax
Global Nutrition Group
GOOD Hemp Nutrition
Hain Celestial Group
Hebei Haiyuan Health Biological Science and Technology Co., Ltd.
Huatai Biopharm, Inc.
International Fishmeal and Fish Oil Organisation
Jedwards International, Inc.
Jiangsu Auqi Bio-tech Co., Ltd.
J.R. Carlson Laboratories
KD Pharma Bexbach GmbH
Laboratorio Franco Colombiano
Lang Pharma Nutrition
Lonza Group AG
Marine Ingredients Corporation
Martek Biosciences Corporation
Maruha Nichiro Group
Mochida Pharmaceutical Co.
Mylnefield Research Services
Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc.
Nisshin Pharma Inc.
Nutrasource Diagnostics Inc.
Ocean Blue Professional
Ocean Nutrition Canada
Olvea Fish Oils
Omega 3 Galil
Omega-3 RD Nutrition Consulting
Omega Protein Corp
Omthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Originates Inc/C.I. Naturmega S.A.
Pace Analytical Services, Inc.
P&C Omega-3 Chile S.A.
Pesquera Diamante S.A.
Pharma Marine USA LLC
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Poms & Associates Insurance Brokers
Prairie Orchard Farms
Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems
Shandong Keruier Biological Products Co.
Shandong Yuwang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Sinomega Biotech Engineering Co. Ltd.
Southern Seeds Farming LLC
Stonyfield Farm, Inc.
Swanson Health Products
Swiss Herbal Remedies Limited
Taisho Pharmaceutical Holdings Co., Ltd.
Tecnológica de Alimentos SA
Technology Crops International
The Chia Company
The Wright Group
Trader Joe's Company, Inc.
Triple Nine Pharma A/S
United Natural Products Alliance
U.S. Mills, Inc.
Vega Nutritiionals Ltd
Whole Foods Market, Inc.
Wilmar International Limited
1.) Grams of Omega-3 Per 3oz (85g) Serving For Various Fish and Foods
2.) Species of Fish Caught for Fish Oil Production by Type and Country
3.) Fish Trimmings and Other Non-Fish Species Used for Fish Oil Production by Country
4.) Additional Processing Steps for the Production and Purification of Marine Oil Omega-3 Fractions
5.) Omega-3 Production Value (USD) And Volume (MT) By Marine Vs. Plant: 2013
6.) Omega-3 Production Value (USD) And Volume (MT) By Marine Vs. Plant: 2018
7.) Omega-3 Marine Oil Production Value (USD), Volume (MT) And Average Selling Price (USD/Ton) By Type (Fish, Other Marine, Concentrates, Krill, Algae): 2013
8.) Omega-3 Marine Oil Demand By Region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, ROW), Volume (MT) and CAGR: 2013-2018
9.) Omega-3 Retail Market Value (USD Billion) By Region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, ROW) and CAGR: 2013-2018
10.) Omega-3 Marine Oil Market Volume (MT) and Retail Value (USD) By Application (Dietary Supplements, Animal Feed, Food/Beverage, Pharmaceuticals, Clinical Nutrition): 2013
11.) Omega-3 Marine Oil Market Volume (MT) and Retail Value (USD) By Application (Dietary Supplements, Animal Feed, Food/Beverage, Pharmaceuticals, Clinical Nutrition): 2018
12.) Omega-3 Pharmaceutical Opportunities by Category and Type of Drug (USD Billion): 2012
13.) World Fisheries and Aquaculture Production and Utilization by Capture (Inland, Marine), Aquaculture (Inland, Marine) and Utilitization (Human Consumption, Non food Uses, Per Capita) in MT: 2006-2011
14.) Fish Oil Production for Selected Countries (MT): 2007-2012
15.) Peru Fish Oil Exports by Country (MT): 2007-2012
16.) Chile Fish Oil Exports by Country (MT): 2007-2012
17.) US Fish Oil Exports by Type (MT): 2007-2012
18.) World Aquaculture Production of Aquatic Algae by Continent (Million Tonnes): 2001-2011
19.) EPA/DHA/ALA Content of Selected Foods
20.) Global Flaxseed Production by Country (Million Metric Tons): 2007-2013
21.) Global Flaxseed Production Value (USD), Volume (MT), Average Selling Price (USD/Ton): 2013-2018
22.) Chia Seeds Omega-3 Content (1 Ounce/28 Gram Serving)
23.) Global Chia Seed Production Value (USD), Volume (MT), Average Selling Price (USD/Ton): 2013-2018
24.) Global Chia Seed Production By Country (MT): 2012
25.) Selected Transaction Profiles: Triarco Industries, Pfizer Nutrition, Schiff Nutrition International
26.) Schiff Nutrition Acquisition Details
27.) Omega-3 Competitive Landscape 2013: 183 Private and Public Companies and Their Product Offerings
28.) 37 Public Omega-3 Companies and Their Product Offferings: 2013
29.) Omega-3 Market Drug Market (TRx): 2013-2019
30.) Potential Advantages / Disadvantages For Epanova And Vascepa
31.) Omega-3 Market Drug Candidates In Development
1.) Production Schematic of Pharmaceutical and Food Grade Omega-3 Marine Oils and Their Concentrates
2.) World Capture Fisheries and Aquaculture Production (MT): 1950-2010
3.) Fish Oil Market and Its Supply Chain
4.) Global Fish Oil Price (USD/Ton): 2002-2013
5.) Nutraceutical IPO and M&A Transactions by Type and Number: 2000-2013
6.) Nutraceutical Companies' Median Enterprise Value to Revenue/EBITDA Multiple: 2001-2012
7.) Lovaza US Sales (USD Million): 2005-2012
8.) Omega-3 Prescription Market Growth (Weekly TRx): 3/2012-4/2013
9.) Vascepa Launch Curve Relative To Lovaza
- Ajinomoto Company, Inc.
- Aker BioMarine
- Alaska Protein Recovery
- Alfa Laval
- Artic Nutrition
- Arista Industries
- Ascenta Health Ltd.
- Atrium Innovations Inc.
- Aurora Algae
- Aurora Products, Inc.
- Austral Group SAA
- Axellus AS
- Barlean's Organic Oils
- Beps Biopharmis
- Bio-Botanica, Inc.
- Bioriginal Food & Science Corp.
- Biosearch Life
- Bizen Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Blackmores Ltd.
- Blue Pacific Oils SA
- Boulder Brands
- Brudy Technology
- By-Health Co., Ltd.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions
- Ceres Consulting
- Chemport, Inc.
- Chr. Holtermann Ans
- Clipper Seafoods Ltd.,
- Coland Holdings Company Limited's
- Columbia Analytical
- Compania Pesquera Camanchaca SA
- Copeinca ASA
- Croda International
- Daybrook Fisheries, Inc.
- Dean Food/Horizon Organic
- Desmet Ballestra
- Drs. Foster & Smith
- DSM Nutritional Products Ltd.
- ED&F Man
- EPAX AS
- Eurofins GfA Lab Service GmbH
- Flora Inc.
- Functional Products Trading SA
- GC Rieber Oils
- George Weston Foods
- Gihon-Laboratorios Químicos S.R.L.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Global Health Trax
- Global Nutrition Group
- Golden Omega
- GOOD Hemp Nutrition
- Hain Celestial Group
- Hebei Haiyuan Health Biological Science and Technology Co., Ltd.
- Hofseth BioCare
- Huatai Biopharm, Inc.
- Iceland Health
- Innophos Holdings
- International Fishmeal and Fish Oil Organisation
- IOI Imperial-Oel-Import
- Jedwards International, Inc.
- Jiangsu Auqi Bio-tech Co., Ltd.
- J.R. Carlson Laboratories
- KD Pharma Bexbach GmbH
- Laboratorio Franco Colombiano
- Lafrancol S.A.
- KinOmega Biopharm
- Lang Pharma Nutrition
- Lonza Group AG
- Mama Chia
- Marine Ingredients Corporation
- Martek Biosciences Corporation
- Maruha Nichiro Group
- Mochida Pharmaceutical Co.
- Mylnefield Research Services
- Myprotein, Inc.
- Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc.
- Nestlé SA
- Nippon Suisan
- Nisshin Pharma Inc.
- Nordic Naturals
- NSF International
- NuMega Ingredients
- Nutra Novus
- Nutrasource Diagnostics Inc.
- Ocean Blue Professional
- Ocean Nutrition Canada
- Oceans Omega
- Olvea Fish Oils
- Olympic Seafood
- Omega-3 Centre
- Omega 3 Galil
- Omega-3 RD Nutrition Consulting
- Omega Protein Corp
- OmegaTri AS
- Omthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Organic Technologies
- Originates Inc/C.I. Naturmega S.A.
- OriginOil Inc
- Pace Analytical Services, Inc.
- Pathway International
- P&C Omega-3 Chile S.A.
- Pesquera Camanchaca
- Pesquera Diamante S.A.
- Pesquera Hayduk
- Pharmachem Laboratories
- Pharma Marine USA LLC
- Pharmline Inc.
- Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
- Poms & Associates Insurance Brokers
- Prairie Orchard Farms
- Pronova BioPharma
- Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems
- Recordati SpA
- Schiff Nutrition
- Scoular Company
- Shandong Keruier Biological Products Co.
- Shandong Yuwang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Sifar Ilaclari
- Sinomega Biotech Engineering Co. Ltd.
- Sojitz Group
- Solix BioSystems
- Source-Omega LLC
- Southern Seeds Farming LLC
- Spes SA
- Stonyfield Farm, Inc.
- Swanson Health Products
- Swiss Herbal Remedies Limited
- Taisho Pharmaceutical Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Tecnológica de Alimentos SA
- Technology Crops International
- The Chia Company
- The Wright Group
- Trader Joe's Company, Inc.
- Triple Nine Pharma A/S
- UGA Nutraceuticals
- United Natural Products Alliance
- U.S. Mills, Inc.
- Vega Nutritiionals Ltd
- Wiley's Finest
- Whole Foods Market, Inc.
- Wilmar International Limited
- Xsto Solutions