- Language: English
- 59 Pages
- Published: November 2011
- Region: Africa, South Africa
Analysis of the Brazilian Power Generation from Municipal Solid Waste Market: Energy from Waste Presents Significant Growth Opportunity
- ID: 2369701
- December 2012
- Region: Brazil
- 96 Pages
- Frost & Sullivan
In Brazil, the power generation from municipal solid waste (MSW) market is incipient. Currently, biogas and incineration are the two operational technologies, and these are the segments considered in this study. The market depends on government incentives and still lacks regulation on project implementation and pricing. However, international financing and government plans are driving the market. Installed capacity for biogas technology is expected to increase until the end of the forecast period (2016). Incineration technology, currently in the prototype stage, is expected to grow in profitability. Forecasts for revenue and installed capacity are included for the forecast period.
- Brazilian power generation from municipal solid waste (MSW) comprises two types: biogas and incineration.
- Revenue for the whole market will have a X percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR 2011-2016) due mostly to government support for price increases.
- Currently, the installed capacity for the biogas segment is only X megawatts (MW), but this is expected to reach X MW by the end of 2016. The total possible installed potential in Brazil for the segment is X gigawatts (GW).
- Until recently, few changes have occurred in installed capacity or revenue growth in the incineration segment.
- In 2013, however, the incineration segment should start growing faster than the biogas segment at an average of C MW per year and a price of $X.
- With a total possible installed potential of X GW in Brazil, the incineration segment is expected to reach X MW of installed potential in 2016.
- Incineration technology is more efficient and environmentally sustainable, which should make of it the first choice in the future.
- The Brazilian government is supporting the total market through fiscal incentives and investments with the support of the Brazilian Development Bank (BNDES).
- Prices for implementation of either technology are still high due to the necessary equipment, which often must be imported.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- What is the MSW outlook in Brazil?
- How does this outlook affect the market for power generation from MSW?
- What factors and entities are driving the market? How?
- What are the barriers faced by this market today? How will they change?
- How can the different technologies be compared?
- In which states and how will this market develop? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
1 Executive Summary
2 Market Overview
3 Analysis of Solid Waste in Brazil
4 Total Power Generation from MSW Market
- External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
- Comparison of Incineration and Biogas
- Forecasts and Trends
5 Biogas Segment Breakdown
6 Incineration Segment Breakdown
7 The Last Word (Conclusions and Implications)