- Published: April 2014
- Region: Global
Strategic Analysis of the U.S. Automotive Point-of-sale Finance Market
- Published: September 2012
- Region: United States
- 104 Pages
- Frost & Sullivan
Rebound from Recession Shows Promise for Automakers and Lenders
This research service offers a strategic analysis of the U.S. automotive point-of-sale (POS) finance market. As part of the research, this service provides an understanding of market opportunities and trends. It gives a sense of the market's direction and analyzes its competitive landscape. The service also enables key market participants to gain insights into new developments in the marketplace and offers recommendations for how participants can position themselves in order to capture emerging opportunities. The service covers loans for both new and used vehicles as well as multiple types of lenders. The base year is 2011, with a forecast period of 2012 to 2018.
RESEARCH AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of this study is to analyze and forecast the light-duty vehicle financing market at point of sale for loans, leases, new vehicles, and used vehicles; understand market share represented by key financing channels and lenders; and identify growth opportunities for market participants.
- Provide a strategic overview of the light-duty vehicle financing market at point of sale by defining the market's size, market dynamics, competitor positions, and industry trends.
- Analyze the impact of megatrends, including social trends, customer demographics, technology developments, new mobility concepts, and alternative transportation factors that influence the market
and evaluate their impact in the short, medium, and long term.
- Understand customer perception, attitude, and behavior with regard to vehicle purchase through key dealership trends that impact the growth of vehicle financing over the forecast period.
- Break down the market size by category (loans, leases) for both new and used vehicles and evaluate the role and influence of each category in the market across the -year forecast.
- Conduct a competitor analysis that identifies the top market leaders/lenders for point of sale financing, understand their market share for used and new vehicle financing, and analyze their growth strategy for this market.
- Develop an actionable set of recommendations for lenders and dealerships to grow in the market.
KEY QUESTIONS THIS STUDY WILL ANSWER
- What is the market size and business environment outlook for the U.S. point of sale vehicle finance market?
- What are the megatrends and key dealership trends impacting point of sale vehicle financing, and what are their implications over the forecast period and for 2018?
- Which financing channels are increasing and decreasing in size, why, and what is their outlook over the forecast period?
- How has the global economic crisis impacted the U.S. point of sale vehicle finance market?
- How are each of the top 10 lenders positioned, and which channels and participants are expected to dominate in the future? SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Executive Summary 6
Research Scope, Objectives, Background, and Methodology 18
Definitions and Segmentation 27
Market Metrics 36
- Retail and Fleet Sales Forecast of New Light-duty Vehicles 37
- Retail Sales Forecast of Used Light-duty Vehicles 38
-Average Loan Size of Light-duty Vehicles 39
External Challenges:Drivers and Restraints—Total Market 40
Mega Trends and Industry Convergence Implications 47
- Impact of Mega Trends on the Automotive POS Finance Market 48
- Commuting Trend for Developed Economies 49
- Micro-Mobility Market—Application for Next-Generation Consumer 50
- Gen Y Market—Size and Attributes Preferred 51
- Most Desired Vehicle and Features 52
- Virtual World 2020: 3D-Simulated Environment for Interaction and Experience Impacting
- Marketing for Gen Y
Total Market Size for Automotive POS Finance 55
- POS Finance Penetration for Loans and Lease- Comparison Between New and Used Vehicles 56
- Automotive POS Finance Loan Value and Volume Forecast 58
- Comparison of Automotive POS Loan Volume of New and Used Vehicles 59
- Comparison of Automotive POS Loan Value of New and Used Vehicles 60
- Comparison of Average Loan Size of New and Used Vehicles 61
- Average Loan Size of New and Used Vehicles Discussion 62
- Leasing Penetration as Percentage of New Vehicle Financing at POS 63
- Volume of Leases of New Vehicles 64
Market Share Analysis for Key Financing Channels 65
- Automotive POS Finance Market- Absolute and Percent Lending by Financing Channel 66
- Automotive POS Finance Market- Percent of New and Used Auto Lending 67
- Overview of Banks as a Channel for POS Automotive Finance 68
- Overview of Captives and Credit Unions as Channels for POS Automotive Finance 69
- Overview of BHPH as a Channel for POS Automotive Finance 70
- Overview of Other Finance Companies as a Channel for POS Automotive Finance 71
- Evolution of Market Share Evolution for Financing Channels, Total Automotive POS Lending
Market Share Analysis of Key Lenders 73
- Automotive POS Finance Market- Lending by Bank Type 74
- Automotive POS Finance Market- Lending by Captive Type 75
- Automotive POS Finance Market - Market Share of Top Ten Lenders 76
- New Automotive POS Lending- Market Share of Top Ten Lenders 77
- Used Automotive POS Lending- Market Share of Top Ten Lenders 78
- Snapshot of Growth Strategy for Top Five Lenders 79
Conclusions and Future Outlook 82
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook for Dealerships 83
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook for Lenders 84
- The Last Word- Three Big Predictions 85