This publication is part of a set of two reports highlighting the first two MEMS microphone suppliers competing with new design in Apple iPhone 5 smartphone. The two reports are available separately or you can benefit from a special bundle offer buying both of them.
ABOUT THIS REPORT
Apple initiated the trend of integrating three MEMS microphones with the iPhone 5. Two manufacturers compete to integrate their analog microphones, Knowles which largely dominates the MEMS microphone market (with half of the business) and AAC which is ranked No. 2 but is the main source for the iPhone5. Both components are interchangeable in the iPhone 5, thus providing similar package/functionalities/price but with two different processes.
Compared to the MEMS dies used in the previous iPhone, Knowles changed the design by integrating four transducers on the same silicon die, allowing to improve the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).
The microphone offers a full integration of a MEMS microphone and an amplification ASIC in one package.
- The MEMS Microphone uses a free-floating diaphragm.
- The common sensing principle is capacitive.
- The component is provided in a specific 3-pins package, compatible with SMD process.
The microphone component is designed by Knowles Electronics, but both MEMS and ASIC dies production are outsourced.
This report provides a complete teardown of the MEMS microphones with:
- Detailed photos
- Material analysis
- Schematic assembly description
- Manufacturing Process Flow
- In-depth manufacturing cost analysis
- Supply chain evaluation
- Selling price estimation
iPhone 5 Teardown
Physical Analysis Methodology
-- Package Views & Dimensions
-- Package Opening
-- Package Cross-Section
-- View & Dimensions
-- Process Characteristics
-- View & Dimensions
-- Bond Pads
-- Diaphragm & Backplate
Manufacturing Process Flow
- Global Overview
- ASIC Front-End Process
- ASIC Wafer Fabrication Unit
- MEMS Process Flow
- MEMS Wafer Fabrication Unit
- Packaging Process Flow
- Package Assembly Unit
- Main steps of economic analysis
- Yields Hypotheses
- ASIC Front-End Cost
- ASIC Back-End 0 : Probe Test & Dicing
- ASIC Wafer Cost
- ASIC Die Cost
- MEMS Front-End Cost
- MEMS Back-End 0 : Probe Test & Dicing
- MEMS Front-End Cost per process steps
- MEMS Front-End: Equipment Cost per Family
- MEMS Front-End: Material Cost per Family
- MEMS Wafer Cost
- MEMS Die Cost
- Back-End : Packaging Cost
- Back-End : Packaging Cost per Process Steps
- Back-End : Final Test Cost
- Microphone Component Cost & Price