- Language: English
- 1123 Pages
- Published: September 2014
- Region: Global
Advances in Gene Expression Profiling (Technical Insights)
- Published: December 2013
- Region: Global
- 65 Pages
- Frost & Sullivan
The industry dynamics of gene expression profiling are constantly changing. There are novel technologies emerging with high throughput and more sensitivity. Currently gene expression profiling techniques are being utilized in drug discovery, clinical diagnostics and basic research. The applications areas of gene expression spans across communicable and non-communicable disease and goes far enough to cover lifestyle disorders such as obesity. Novel data management techniques are needed, due to frustrating challenges of lack of data storage options and uninterpretable raw genomic data which has led software companies to look at it as an investment hotspot.
Gene expression profiling encompasses a wide range of technologies, techniques and data informatics operations. The scientific understanding of gene expression profiling is to quantify the amount of mRNA and protein that is being expression in a sample or across multiple samples at any given time for populations. Methods such as microarray techniques, reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and RNA sequencing are constantly evolving and being adopted in healthcare and biotechnology towards the development of diagnostic and therapeutics assays, biomarkers, drug discovery and development, discovery of novel pathways in disease and understanding gene function and pathogenesis of diseases. These application areas are highly relevant especially in this era of “personalized medicine." The relevance of gene expression profiling being used as a science for the development of therapeutic and diagnostic tools spans across several disease types such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disease in addition to a whole host of infectious diseases. It also plays a crucial role in prenatal screening and genetic testing space.
Managing the large amount of genomic data produced through expression profiling technologies such as microarrays and RNAsequencing is another area which is facing rapid growth. There are a plethora of opportunities emerging making genomic data management a hotbed for investors. Majority of the funds that seem to be coming into this sector have been going towards the development of data storage, analysis and visualization tools that can potentially eliminate the pertinent challenges present in the industry.
This study provides:
- Snap-shot of the technologies for use in gene expression profiling for drug discovery, clinical diagnostics and academic research.
- Highlights some of the key innovations in gene expression profiling, terms of technology and application oriented products
- Key technical and business challenges for gene expression profiling
- Key technical and business drivers that are fuelling adoption and success of gene expression profiling platforms and technologies
- Potential application areas of gene expression profiling (delves more into the areas of diagnostic test for disease, and
- Technology snapshot of data management solutions for gene expression profiling data
- Strategic recommendations and investor opportunities in data management for gene expression profiling and genomic data.
- To provide a thorough analysis of each topic, Technical Insights' analysts perform a review of patents to become familiar withthe major developers and commercial participants and their processes. Building on the patent search, the analysts reviewabstracts to identify key scientific and technical papers that provide insights into key industry participants and the technicalprocesses on which they work.
- The analysts then create a detailed questionnaire with content created to address the research objectives of the study, whichfunctions as a guide during the interview process. While the analysts use structured questionnaires to guarantee coverage ofall the desired issues, they also conduct interviews in a conversational style. This approach results in a more thoroughexchange of views with the respondents and offers greater insight into the relevant issues than more structured interviewsmay provide.
- The analysts conduct primary research with the key industry participants and technology developers to obtain the requiredcontent. Interviews are completed with sources located across the world, in universities, national laboratories, governmental and regulatory bodies, trade associations, and end-user companies, among other key organizations.
- Our analysts contact the major commercial participants to find out about the advantages and disadvantages of processes and the drivers and challenges behind technologies and applications. Our analysts talk to the principal developers, researchers,engineers, business developers, analysts, strategic planners, and marketing experts, among other professionals.
- The project management and research team reviews and analyzes the research data that are gathered and adds itsrecommendations to the draft of the final study. Having conducted both published studies and custom proprietary research covering many types of new and emerging technology activities as well as worldwide industry analysis, the management and research team adds its perspective and experience to provide an accurate and timely analysis.
- The analysts then prepare a written final study for each project and sometimes present key findings in briefings to clients. SHOW LESS READ MORE >
Technology Snapshot and Trends
Key Innovations, 2010 to 2013
Technology Value Chain
Industry Value Chain
Impact Assessment and Analysis
Market Impact of Business Challenges
Market Impact of Technology Challenges
Market Impact of Technology/Business Accelerators
Diffusion of Innovations and Need Assessment
Technology Adoption Scenario
Demand Side Needs
Opportunity Evaluation and Road mapping
Emerging Opportunities–For Stakeholders
Emerging Opportunities–For Investors
Gene Expression Profiling–Technology Trends Data Management
Technology Value Chain
Strategic Recommendations for Technology Investors
Key Patents and Contacts
The Frost & Sullivan Story