- The main trends impacting the market are companies investing in pay TV services operations and integration of fixed and mobile operations to offer converged services.
- The main drivers for growth are converged offers, intensifying competition, and competitors’ investments to offer Triple Play.
- Important drivers in the mobile services segment are the implementation and expansion of 3G networks.
- However, the lack of competition in remote areas and small cities, regulated tariffs, high inflation, and an unstable economic and political outlook are importation restraints.
- Concerning regulatory issues, the restriction for telecommunications companies (telcos) to enter the cable TV and Internet protocol television (IPTV) markets also restrains the market.
- Indirectly, this negatively impacts the broadband services market, because telcos can only go from a dumb pipe to a smart pipe through Video on Demand (VoD) and not directly with TV broadcasting.
- Regarding mobile services, important restraints are low spectrum caps (MHz), when compared to other countries in Latin America, delays in auctions for new spectrum frequencies, and government interference in this market.
- For instance, after seven years of several delays for a new spectrum auction, in September 2012, the government suspended the planned tender and assigned the frequencies to ARSAT, a public company that operates satellite services.
- This new entrant in the mobile market has the role of implementing a national broadband network and competing with private operators.
- Another sign of government influence in the mobile services segment is the development of mobile phones with a digital TV receiver. America Movil, Movistar, and Personal are committed to advancing partnerships with manufacturers to supply these phones.
- The competitive structure of the market is consolidating into six major groups: Telefonica S.A.; Telecom Italia; América Móvil; DIRECTV, Clarin Group and Nextel.
- However, there are also relevant niche participants with competitive offerings.
- The three largest groups: Telefonica S.A., Telecom Italia, and América Móvil - have a strong presence in all residential, small and medium business (SMB), and corporate segments.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- Is the market growing? How long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
- Which telecommunications services present the highest growth opportunities from 2011 to 2017?
- What are the trends in the market regarding technology, competition, consumer demands, and the economy?
- What are the most important regulatory issues impacting telecommunications services in Argentina?
- What are the main industry challenges that operators will face until 2017?
- How are revenue and LIS divided among the residential, SMB, and corporate segments?
2. Market Overview
3. Total Telecommunications Services Market
- Forecast and Trends
- Market Share and Competitive Analysis
4. Argentinian Fixed Telephony Services Segment
5. Argentinian Mobile Telephony Services Segment
6. Argentinian Fixed Broadband Services Segment
7. Argentinian Pay TV Services Segment
8. Argentinian Data Communications Services Segment
9. Argentinian Fixed VoIP Services Segment
10. The Last Word